Cities Abusing Red Light Camera - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Cities Abusing Red Light Camera

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Cities Abusing Red Light Camera

Postby Tavish » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:06 pm

There is an interesting report on 6 cities that have been found setting the length of yellow lights to illegal limits on stoplights with traffic cameras. The obvious reason would be to raise revenue generated by the tickets issued for running red lights.

http://techdirt.com/articles/20080410/011257809.shtml

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Cities Abusing Red Light Camera

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:12 pm

Mayor of a local town here was arrested by the FBI for trying to blackmail one of these camera companies.

The whole thing stinks.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:34 pm

There was class action lawsuit against the cameras not too long ago. Basically the lawsuit claimed that since the cameras only took a picture of the license plate that there wasn't any proof of who was committing the offense.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 291)

Postby Tavish » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:34 pm

It is beyond aggravating to me that basically every study shows that the cameras don't curb car accidents, but that they may actually increase accidents yet cities continue to push for adding more cameras. In a roundabout way it just strikes me as an extremely sneaky form of taxation. Taxation done under the guise of public safety when it is actually putting more people at risk.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Madison » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:19 pm

Can't say it's surprising. Stinks Dallas is on the list though. :-/
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:06 pm

Tavish wrote:It is beyond aggravating to me that basically every study shows that the cameras don't curb car accidents, but that they may actually increase accidents yet cities continue to push for adding more cameras. In a roundabout way it just strikes me as an extremely sneaky form of taxation. Taxation done under the guise of public safety when it is actually putting more people at risk.

The increase overall accidents, but decrease injury accidents, or at least serious injury accidents. More people get rear-ended at relatively low speeds, while fewer people get T-boned by someone speeding trying to get through the yellow.

Anyway, my city is debating puting red light cams in at a couple of high-traffic intersections right now. I think they are an absolutely BS solution to the problem, and are just one step closer to the video-camera-on-every-corner-Orwellian-society that is most likely on its way to the US and is already common in Western Europe.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to General Talk