New Yankee Stadium Cursed? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

New Yankee Stadium Cursed?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: New Yankee Stadium Cursed?

Postby bigken117 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:24 pm

tuff_gong wrote:
SJNez46 wrote:theirs a lot more than just that going in. My friend knows a bunch of the workers building, and they are from Boston, and they are stuffing all off the interior that isnt enterable with Red Sox stuff, and Yankees Suck things.

I heard they are burying Manny's sunglasses with the mp3 player underneath the stadium, along with Carl Everett's 10 thousand word essay on why dinosaurs didn't exist.

Me thinks an "essay" written by Carl would be closer to 10 words...and written in crayon

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 254)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thedude » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:24 pm

Crisis, and curse, averted.

It took about five hours, but the Red Sox jersey that was embedded in the concrete of the Yankees' new stadium to place a curse on the New York franchise has been unearthed with jackhammers.

Constructions workers dug through the concrete at the new Yankee stadium to find a jersey of Boston's David Ortiz.

Earlier this week, a construction worker who is a Boston fan working on the concrete crew at the $1.3 billion new Yankee Stadium buried a Red Sox shirt in with the concrete foundation, in the hopes of jinxing the New York Yankees' new home, the New York Post reported.

The newspaper reported Sunday that two workers approached a construction manager with what they thought was the location of the jersey. After digging a two-foot by three-foot hole, the jersey was found.

"They absolutely pinpointed that if it was in the ground, that's where it was," Yankees spokeswoman Alice McGillion told the newspaper.

Initially the Yankees denied the jersey was ever buried in the footings of the new stadium. But clearly the Yankees brass is happier now with the possibility of a curse gone.

"I hope his co-workers kick the [expletive] out of him," Yankees co-chairperson Hal Steinbrenner said.

The newspaper said the jersey felt like a filthy rag, but the word "Red" was clearly visible.

The Yankees plan to donate the jersey to charity, and may pursue a lawsuit against the construction worker.

There are precedents for fans strategically burying trinkets for good luck. During the construction of the ice rink for the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City, a worker laid a Canadian one-dollar coin (known as a "loonie") at center ice. Canada went on to win its first gold medal in men's ice hockey since 1952.

And Mickey Bradley, a co-author of "Haunted Baseball," told the New York Post that a worker was said to have buried an unknown good-luck charm in a water main trench of the current Yankee Stadium back in 1920.

"Prior to that, they never won a World Series," he told the newspaper.

The Yankees went on to win 26 world championships since.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3344825
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 90)

Postby AussieDodger » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:09 pm

Wow I can't believe they'd spend the time to try to find it.
:-S
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 143)

Postby Madison » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:56 pm

AussieDodger wrote:Wow I can't believe they'd spend the time to try to find it.

I can, but seeing as how it was an Ortiz jersey and Ortiz has been stinking this year, it might have been more of a reverse-jinx and better for the Yankees to have not dug it up. Guess we'll see if Ortiz gets hot now. :-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby JTWood » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:29 pm

Madison wrote:

I can, but seeing as how it was an Ortiz jersey and Ortiz has been stinking this year, it might have been more of a reverse-jinx and better for the Yankees to have not dug it up. Guess we'll see if Ortiz gets hot now. :-D

Exactly! What did I say earlier? This was probably something that would have cursed the Sox long term.

Anyone else find this quote (from another article) to be disturbing?

AP wrote:Trost said the Yankees had discussed possible criminal charges against Castignoli with the district attorney’s office.

“We will take appropriate action since fortunately we do know the name of the individual,” he said.

Criminal charges?!? :-S :-S :-S
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby thedude » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:48 pm

JTWood wrote:
Madison wrote:

Exactly! What did I say earlier? This was probably something that would have cursed the Sox long term.

Anyone else find this quote (from another article) to be disturbing?

AP wrote:Trost said the Yankees had discussed possible criminal charges against Castignoli with the district attorney’s office.

“We will take appropriate action since fortunately we do know the name of the individual,” he said.

Oh no! Someone buried a piece of cloth in our stadium where no one would ever have seen it! It is not as bad as what was buried in the Meadowlands (Jimmy Hoffa). I am pretty sure trying to jinx a rival team is not a criminal offense.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 90)

Postby jlm53089 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:25 am

This is just a another stupid chapter in their rivalry.

I laughed so hard at Carl Evertt.
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Madison » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:26 am

JTWood wrote:Anyone else find this quote (from another article) to be disturbing?

I have zero clue so I ask: Could a jersey buried inside the cement cause a foundation issue (like it cracking or something similar)?

Even if that turns out to be impossible, the Yankees still didn't get what they paid for. They wanted solid cement, someone (or group of people) intentionally didn't deliver that. So yeah, logically I can see charges being filed.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby JTWood » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:13 am

Madison wrote:
JTWood wrote:Anyone else find this quote (from another article) to be disturbing?

I have zero clue so I ask: Could a jersey buried inside the cement cause a foundation issue (like it cracking or something similar)?

Even if that turns out to be impossible, the Yankees still didn't get what they paid for. They wanted solid cement, someone (or group of people) intentionally didn't deliver that. So yeah, logically I can see charges being filed.

Yeah... That's really reaching there, Mad. This is no different than construction workers burying trash in a foundation. It happens all of the time, and you never hear about a house collapsing due to a McDonald's coffee cup in the cement.

The only charges I could possibly see being filed here are some sort of psychological battery charges, like intentional distress or something. However, I hardly see that being a criminal charge, and I definitely don't see the Yankees organization as a "person" capable of feeling distress.

A civil suit to recover the cost of digging up the shirt seems more likely and any criminal charges... to me.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:49 am

JTWood wrote:
Madison wrote:

Yeah... That's really reaching there, Mad. This is no different than construction workers burying trash in a foundation. It happens all of the time, and you never hear about a house collapsing due to a McDonald's coffee cup in the cement.

The only charges I could possibly see being filed here are some sort of psychological battery charges, like intentional distress or something. However, I hardly see that being a criminal charge, and I definitely don't see the Yankees organization as a "person" capable of feeling distress.

A civil suit to recover the cost of digging up the shirt seems more likely and any criminal charges... to me.

Of course it's reaching...but this is Hank Steinbrenner.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 116)

Previous

Return to General Talk