Bret Boone - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bret Boone

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Mon Feb 23, 2004 5:37 pm

i am avoiding suspected steroid users, since they may have to stop their steroid users from now. i include bret boone in there.

the top players i need to avoid are:

bonds
b. boone
sheffield
sosa
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Doull7 » Mon Feb 23, 2004 5:43 pm

i think he'd be a good take in the second round
to Bitterdodgerfan: if yuo are going to stay away from suspected steroid users (i thought of doing the same) you might as well delete your team while you have the chance. lol
Doull7
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:10 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:you are right - there is no such thing as value in fantasy drafts and people should always draft by consensus :-t

Im not sure what to make of your comment, Lofunzo. Should someone never look at later options? If I think that Boone and Giles will put up roughly the same value, yet one can be had 3-5 rds later, should I not go after the one with the lowest cost?

Thanks for the thumbs down. I was actually kind of agreeing with you. I am saying that, for the most part, there are always later options. I like Giles but don't think that he will approach Boone for next year. If you can get another player instead of Boone in the 2nd round and then get Giles later, then do it. If you don't get Giles, then you will be sorry, though. You have a chance to 100% get a good 1 (Boone). If you wait for Giles, then you might not get him. Again, there are always later options. It's kind of like the Pierre/Crawford scenario. You could either get Pierre earlier or take the chance that you can get Crawford later.

I fully understand, and I guess I am speaking of what I would do in that situation. I do not like Boone this yr, and I think his numbers will go down. I like Giles, and think his numbers will improve.
But as for draft strategy, you are right - there are options. I am the guy who will always look for similar numbers at a cheaper price. You brought up a great example - there isnt a chance in hell I will draft Pierre in the 3rd rd where he is being taken in most drafts. I will target Crawford later, and even Sanchez later still.

I guess it basically depends on the type of drafter you are. Im the garbage man - always looking for talent to drop too far, and never paying full price for someone.
Some people like to place a lot of emphasis on position scarcity. Other people place a lot on a strategy (ex: hitters early, then SP).

It all depends. For me, taking guys like Boone and Pierre in the 2nd-3rd rounds doesnt make a lot of sense if similar players can be had later.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:23 pm

Cool. Now we're on the same page. I like being a garbage man as well but sometimes I just make a pick that is more of a consensus (if you want to call it that). I have been burned waiting for a value pick to make it back to me. If you can get it to work that way, then you will be set.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Fumbler » Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:13 pm

...there isnt a chance in hell I will draft Pierre in the 3rd rd where he is being taken in most drafts. I will target Crawford later, and even Sanchez later still.

Until someone takes Pierre in the 3rd and Crawford in the 4th round.

Point being, you're setting yourself up to fail (sooner or later) with this strategy. You can't keep letting players slide for the better value, because inevitably you're gonna be left with nothing!

You can have Sanchez in the 15th round (of course, you'll probably think that's too early too). You've already lost out on Stolen Bases because some other guy picked up Pierre and Crawford back to back.
Fumbler
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mtarail » Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:38 pm

I think end of the second round is a good place to get him (which is more or less where you'll be picking if you know you're getting Soriano.)

However, I'm really not a fan of "cornering the market." I'd rather get a guy a really need in the second round and use late picks to get sleeper studs.

Kent obviously isn't a sleeper, but he's a guy you might find available in the 4th round who could EASILY put up #'s equal to Boone's.
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:17 am

Fumbler wrote:
...there isnt a chance in hell I will draft Pierre in the 3rd rd where he is being taken in most drafts. I will target Crawford later, and even Sanchez later still.

Until someone takes Pierre in the 3rd and Crawford in the 4th round.

Point being, you're setting yourself up to fail (sooner or later) with this strategy. You can't keep letting players slide for the better value, because inevitably you're gonna be left with nothing!

You can have Sanchez in the 15th round (of course, you'll probably think that's too early too). You've already lost out on Stolen Bases because some other guy picked up Pierre and Crawford back to back.

Ya know, fumbler, been playin this game a while. I never have had to worry about steals. I trust in my fantasy knowledge enough to not have to worry about missing out on those type of picks early. Its just a different philosophy when drafting, and it isnt for everyone.

One misunderstanding - I dont "keep letting players slide for the better value". I draft the absolute best players available - however I dont have as much fear of position or catagory scarcity.

To put it another way - in auction leagues - my team isnt made up of all $1 players. Ive spend the same amount as everyone else, Im just lookin for the better deals.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:27 am

Cornbread.......I am legitimately curious as I have never done an auction draft and we might do that this year. In general, do you have an A-Rod or a Pujols on your team or do you have more middle guys? What is your normal breakdown? Any info is appreciated.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Mighty Monks » Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:22 am

[quote="Cornbread Maxwell"][quote="Fumbler"][quote
One misunderstanding - I dont "keep letting players slide for the better value". I draft the absolute best players available - however I dont have as much fear of position or catagory scarcity.
quote]

This is exactly how i draft. I go with the best value at each pick also, Last year it got me Preston WIlson and Vernon wells late in the draft. I always pick the best players available for the first 7-8 rounds, the middle rounds, best players available at positions I need, unless there is someone that simply fell too far, and the last few rounds back to best player/upside available. I dont go into cornering markets, because unless you are in a league where you know everyone and everyone trades, you are probably going to get burned. I draft the best team I can nto relying on any trading, but just the draft and fa,ww pickups. You just never know hwo trading will be in a league. Just my 2 cents
Mighty Monks
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers