Bret Boone - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bret Boone

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Bret Boone

Postby Pete O » Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:04 pm

Is it too early to take Bret Boone in the second round? I am in a league which requires two players at each infield spot and I am gonna take Soriano with my first pick. Figure I can corner the market on second baseman by having two sluggers there who can each hit 35+ HR. Is round 2 too early for Boone?
Pete O
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:10 pm

Second round is fine for B. Boone.

Personally, I prefer Jeff Kent though.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Fumbler » Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:10 pm

Pretty much every draft i've seen he goes in the 2nd round. I like that idea of cornering the market too! ;-D
Fumbler
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:14 pm

I dont think Brett Boone has value in the 2nd rd.
Personally I think most people overrank him.
There is better 2b value to be had a bit later - Giles ;-D

But thats just me - I know Boone will never be on any of my teams because I simply wont pay that type of price for where he is going.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mightyian5 » Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:25 pm

hes consistanly a good pick, maybe around the 3rd round though.

cornering the market can be good, but also bad if you neglect other spots. then youve got to trade away one of those extra players to fill another spot. last year in an auto draft, i ended up with arod and nomar on the same team, so i shipped off arod in a deal that brought me vladimir and brian giles.
theyre coming.....
mightyian5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Steve Kemp » Mon Feb 23, 2004 4:25 pm

the 2nd round is the right spot. that production at 2B is awesome. he's number 2 or 3 at 2B and 2B is probably the thinnest position. after the top three, it'll be 280. 14 and 70.
Alan Trammell should be in the Hall
Steve Kemp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Feb 23, 2004 4:30 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:I dont think Brett Boone has value in the 2nd rd.
Personally I think most people overrank him.
There is better 2b value to be had a bit later - Giles ;-D

But thats just me - I know Boone will never be on any of my teams because I simply wont pay that type of price for where he is going.

You could make an argument that you could get better value later in each round except the last. You could, for instance, bypass Soriano and take Beltran and then get Kent or Boone in the next round. There are millions of scenarios like this 1.

I like Boone in the 2nd round.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Feb 23, 2004 5:01 pm

you are right - there is no such thing as value in fantasy drafts and people should always draft by consensus :-t

Im not sure what to make of your comment, Lofunzo. Should someone never look at later options? If I think that Boone and Giles will put up roughly the same value, yet one can be had 3-5 rds later, should I not go after the one with the lowest cost?
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Feb 23, 2004 5:21 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:you are right - there is no such thing as value in fantasy drafts and people should always draft by consensus :-t

Im not sure what to make of your comment, Lofunzo. Should someone never look at later options? If I think that Boone and Giles will put up roughly the same value, yet one can be had 3-5 rds later, should I not go after the one with the lowest cost?

Thanks for the thumbs down. I was actually kind of agreeing with you. I am saying that, for the most part, there are always later options. I like Giles but don't think that he will approach Boone for next year. If you can get another player instead of Boone in the 2nd round and then get Giles later, then do it. If you don't get Giles, then you will be sorry, though. You have a chance to 100% get a good 1 (Boone). If you wait for Giles, then you might not get him. Again, there are always later options. It's kind of like the Pierre/Crawford scenario. You could either get Pierre earlier or take the chance that you can get Crawford later.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby bronxxbomber » Mon Feb 23, 2004 5:28 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:you are right - there is no such thing as value in fantasy drafts and people should always draft by consensus :-t

Thanks for the thumbs down. I was actually kind of agreeing with you. I am saying that, for the most part, there are always later options. I like Giles but don't think that he will approach Boone for next year. If you can get another player instead of Boone in the 2nd round and then get Giles later, then do it. If you don't get Giles, then you will be sorry, though. You have a chance to 100% get a good 1 (Boone). If you wait for Giles, then you might not get him. Again, there are always later options. It's kind of like the Pierre/Crawford scenario. You could either get Pierre earlier or take the chance that you can get Crawford later.

Well said, I agree with you totally.
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers