Picking Roy Halladay - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Picking Roy Halladay

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Picking Roy Halladay

Postby cannonarm21 » Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:51 am

In a 5x5 head to head league I chose Soriano #3 overall. The draft is wrapping back around and it looks like Halladay will be there. First of all, should I be surprised he is still there? Next, I am a little hesitant to take him because of the division he is in. He faces the lineups of the Yankees and Red Sox, and now even the Orioles. Not to mention having to go head to head vs the top of the NYY and BOS rotations. Is this a good reason to shy away from a player, or do you think I am being foolish?

Thanks.
cannonarm21
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:05 pm

If Halladay is there in the second round that means he will be the 17th or 22nd pick. He is a steal at that position.

Don't make too much of him playing the Sox or Yanks too much. He will be up for the challenge. He is a stud, ace, #1 pitcher.

The one worry I have with Halladay is that he threw 266 innings last year and 240 the year before - wow.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:17 pm

Yet he has extremely low pitch counts too.
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:40 pm

Pokeyouindaeye wrote:Yet he has extremely low pitch counts too.

where do you get this information?

just curious.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby cannonarm21 » Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:56 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:If Halladay is there in the second round that means he will be the 17th or 22nd pick. He is a steal at that position.

Don't make too much of him playing the Sox or Yanks too much. He will be up for the challenge. He is a stud, ace, #1 pitcher.

The one worry I have with Halladay is that he threw 266 innings last year and 240 the year before - wow.

Sorry, it is a 12 team league, so you are correct he would be #22. Thanks for the feedback that is what I am looking for.
cannonarm21
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Arlo » Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:58 pm

In the 12-team mock I'm participating in, that's exactly the route I took: Soriano followed by Halladay. I did agonize over both picks, though... :-)
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Transmogrifier » Mon Feb 23, 2004 1:03 pm

Arlo wrote:In the 12-team mock I'm participating in, that's exactly the route I took: Soriano followed by Halladay. I did agonize over both picks, though... :-)

I'm one of the people that is worried about Halladay this year; his high number of innings worry me. I don't expect Cy numbers from him this year.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby DJUmperPSU » Mon Feb 23, 2004 1:06 pm

Yeah but we are talking about taking one of the best pitchers in baseball at like pick 22.... if he falls there for some strange reason, you take him.
DJUmperPSU
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 23, 2004 1:14 pm

You guys missed one very important statistic. Although he has a high IP number, he also had a 13.4 P/IP number, very low for a pitcher. guys like Kerry Wood and Mark Prior both have P/IP over 16.0. He is an extreme GB pitcher (488 GBs to 181 FB) and mixes up his pitching a lot better than say Wood, who must overpower his batters to get them out.

I would not worry. Halladay only threw about 85 more pitches than kerry or bartolo colon despite pitching a whopping 55 innings more than wood and 24 more than colon.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

I would be worried with the Yankee's lineup...

Postby kammster » Mon Feb 23, 2004 1:21 pm

I have Schilling and I am worried about it but it is not a reason to pass on a stud. I feel there are only about 10 pitchers that are true studs year in and year out. Innings froms previous years should not be a concern if he works out in the off season. He should be ready each year. I feel it is a smart pick.
kammster
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers