A little bit confused regarding number of pitching starts - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

A little bit confused regarding number of pitching starts

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

A little bit confused regarding number of pitching starts

Postby racrzeke » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:48 am

Well this is my first fantasy baseball league and I have a solid core of starting pitchers but I usually have 3 spots that I drop constantly and add the starter for the next day so I pretty much have a guaranteed 3-4 starts a day. (I know I'm probably a neb, huh??)

So Im in a ESPN fantasy league and on my box score at the bottom is says

Pitchers max for this matchup: 200 GS
If a team exceeds a stat limit during the day, that team will continue to accumulate stats until the end of the day.

Does this mean I can only have 200 starts throughout the whole year? So I should calm down and pick up some relievers? Im not sure thanks-can add any additional info if needed!
racrzeke
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: A little bit confused regarding number of pitching starts

Postby Jimmy » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:12 am

It is what it is... :-D 200 games started is a lot though. In general that means you can have about 6 full time starters pitching as each starting pitcher will average around 32 games a year. I'm not sure many teams are able to acquire 6 quality starters and have a well rounded team. With streaming, you could probably put those games to good use. Good luck.
Ichiro? No...
Dunn? No...
Ichiro Dunn! 106 runs, 23 home runs, 87 rbis, 23 stolen bases, 0.313 season average
Adam Suzuki! 106 runs, 23 home runs, 87 rbis, 23 stolen bases, 0.313 season average
Double the fun!
Jimmy
College Coach
College Coach

Eagle Eye

Postby racrzeke » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:27 am

Yea thats what I figured but I'm a little bit confused on the difference of definition between a H2H season and roto season

*For Roto and Points-Based leagues, this number represents the total number of games started (or innings pictched) allowed for each team's active roster over the course of the entire season.

*For H2H leagues, this number represents the total number of games started (or innings pictched) allowed for each team's active roster per matchup.
racrzeke
College Coach
College Coach

Postby aplviper » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:34 am

For the Roto Leagues, the number, 200, is how many total starts your pitchers can have for the season. If your team hits that number and still has starters for that day, then those starts will count, and allow you to go over 200. However, all starts after that day will not be counted.

For H2H Leagues, the limit number is usually around 10-12 starts per week. This is how many total starts your team can have for the week. Again, if you hit the limit number and still have starters for that day, then those starts will count. However, all starts after that day will not be counted.

Example for Roto: You have 199 starts on August 12. You have 4 starters scheduled for that day. All 4 will count, even though you exceeded the limit, giving you 203 for the season. You are allowed NO more starts. Even if you have starters in the active position, their stats will not count.

Example for H2H: The limit is 10, and you have 9 starts going into Sunday (assuming that Sunday is when your week ends). You have 4 starters scheduled for Sunday. All 4 will count, even though you have exceeded the limit, giving you 13 for the week. If you are in a H2H league and want to stream pitchers, Sunday (or the last day of the week) is the best day to do it.

Hope this helps.
aplviper
College Coach
College Coach

Postby noseeum » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:43 am

If you're not in head to head, and your limit is 200, then stop starting 3 to 4 guys per day. You're wasting precious starts with crappy pitchers. 200 sounds like a lot, but not when you're burn through them at 3 to 4 per day. Make sure you save enough starts so your top pitchers can use all of theirs for the season.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Commissioner's Corner