Miguel Cabrera makes me wanna cry... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Miguel Cabrera makes me wanna cry...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Miguel Cabrera makes me wanna cry...

Postby Slow Pitch » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:29 am

Its the cold. I am telling you it's not the switch to the AL. He is used to playing in FLA where its nice & warm. Never has he had to start a season this long in cold weather. Detroit & Boston, two of the worst places to play early in the season for Latin players.

I think this is the biggest reason the Tigers bats are cold to start the season as well. They are an overwhelmingly Latin team.
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pokerplaya » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:43 am

The Big Train wrote:
Relentless wrote:I had him last season, but I don't remember him struggling or slumping at all. I guess the switch to the AL has really affected him so far...

So far this season...

March 31- April 10, 2008
8 games:

4/29, .138 AVG, 3 R, 1 RBI, 1 HR.

Last season...

April 15-25, 2007
8 games:

6/32, .188 AVG, 3 R, 2 RBI, 1 HR

May 6-13, 2007
8 games:

5/30, .167 AVG, 2 R, 3 RBI, 1 HR

August 22-31, 2007
8 games:

3/32, .094 AVG, 1 R, 2 RBI, 0 HR

So, unless there's an injury issue, or the competition in the AL is THAT much better, this isn't exactly unprecedented. Fellow MCab owners, I invite you to smoke a fat one with me... and relax a bit.

Good post. Might I add, it's not that this isn't unprecedented with just MCab, every single player who ever put on the uniform for more than a few days has gone on an 8 day slump. Everyone.

As everyone has said, as long as he's healthy, who cares? The numbers will be there in the end.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby jake_harv88 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:27 pm

The Big Train wrote:
Relentless wrote:I had him last season, but I don't remember him struggling or slumping at all. I guess the switch to the AL has really affected him so far...

So far this season...

March 31- April 10, 2008
8 games:

4/29, .138 AVG, 3 R, 1 RBI, 1 HR.

Last season...

April 15-25, 2007
8 games:

6/32, .188 AVG, 3 R, 2 RBI, 1 HR

May 6-13, 2007
8 games:

5/30, .167 AVG, 2 R, 3 RBI, 1 HR

August 22-31, 2007
8 games:

3/32, .094 AVG, 1 R, 2 RBI, 0 HR

So, unless there's an injury issue, or the competition in the AL is THAT much better, this isn't exactly unprecedented. Fellow MCab owners, I invite you to smoke a fat one with me... and relax a bit.

I accept your offer ;-D

Ok but seriously. i can never tell if people are really being serious about this. Do people really get nervous after 2 weeks of the season? If so how can I get in your league...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 24)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:48 pm

I think of all top 20 players drafted, M-Cab is the only true buy-low candidate, but he'll come around. Usually, good hitters are a bit slow coming out of the gate given that the ball just doesn't carry well in cold weather. M-Cab's been through a few droughts before, as any major leaguer has, and in fact the Tigers offense as a whole has been a far cry from impressive. He's too good to not put his act together. ;-D

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby duckbillgates » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:33 pm

If he wasn't already the cornerstone of both of my keeper teams, I'd be buying.

That having been said, I have had bad luck with hitters switching leagues. I think there may be something to it ... anyone care to dig up some stats on hitters going from AL to NL and vice versa?
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."
— Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby whoson1st0 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:52 pm

Well, it doesn't ALWAYS get better....in one of my leagues last year, my top 6 picks were:
Pujols, Manny, Bay, Abreu, Furcal, Dye

Eventually you give up on your guys doing anything.

I know none of us want to dump Mcab, and YES it's still very early, but it's sooooo frustrating to see someone in the league get crede and cueto for $2 and be cruising while those of us who spent $50+ on Mcab and Sabathia are just digging a bigger hole to get out of.
whoson1st0
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 44)

Postby Peregrine » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:57 pm

MCab is limping like crazy today against the white sox- he can barely jog to the bases. Even though he's 2-4 tonight, he looks terrible, slap hitting and in obvious pain. He's going to be getting multiple days off soon.
Peregrine
College Coach
College Coach

Postby colemwi » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:38 pm

Peregrine wrote:MCab is limping like crazy today against the white sox- he can barely jog to the bases. Even though he's 2-4 tonight, he looks terrible, slap hitting and in obvious pain. He's going to be getting multiple days off soon.

He looks really bad running
colemwi
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates