Ortiz and an Ice Pack - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Ortiz and an Ice Pack

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ortiz and an Ice Pack

Postby PavanoAllstars » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:03 pm

According to Jerry Remy, David Ortiz was sporting "a massive ice pack" on his knee after batting practice today... is that the reason he's batting .083? I'd almost invite any reason at this point to describe his troubles because he looks lost right now and frusturated beyond belief... I'll never drop the guy, but i'm seriously considering benching him for awhile until this washes over or something...

what do you guys think? And please don't tell me "it's early" because this has nothing to do with his numbers, it's more about how he looks and his body language right now
For every Brett Myers there's a Nate McLouth...
PavanoAllstars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Ortiz and an Ice Pack

Postby jcook3127 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:15 pm

Yea I am starting to get concerned...he had trouble with his knees last season, he's not the most nimble fellow obviously...he's not that young anymore...

It's just shocking that he could fall so far from grace..he has ridiculous 4 year averages and last year was perhaps his best season numbers wise (homers turned to doubles but he batted 330)...

So I would guess this is injury related...it's certainly not jet-lag anymore...I hope he can battle through this and give me at least 30/100/.290...
Why don't they just get a house that's already painted?
jcook3127
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:31 pm

3-for-36. Ugh.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:46 pm

It's a sad commentary that I'm actually pleased & pleasantly surprised he took a base-on-balls and scored a run tonight. I was expecting another straight-up 0-for-4.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby PavanoAllstars » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:49 pm

I was just about to write that :~(

well, he does have 8 walks already, so he's seeing the ball fine... how can it be the knee again, he did well with it all last year, i don't see how it could be worse?!?!? He should sue that surgeon
For every Brett Myers there's a Nate McLouth...
PavanoAllstars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Noggy » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:59 pm

I think Boston should take him out of the lineup and let him rest for the next... let's say 3 days. Bad knees or not, he's due to go off and that is scaring me right now....
Noggy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby spark0901 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:01 pm

I've seem him hit a few balls that have fallen a few feet shy of homers. He barely missed a grand slam a few games ago. The guys on baseball tonight were analyzing his stance. He isn't bending his left knee as much in his stance, so he's not getting as much leg drive in his swing which is limiting his power. He could have two or three homers at this point, but I think his knee might be zapping some of his power.
spark0901
College Coach
College Coach

Postby hi chi » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:49 am

The information in this thread has scared me enough to package Papi up for Soriano and Berkman.
hi chi
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Marino's Isotoners » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:16 am

Amalie Benjamin, Globe Staff wrote:There might have been some relief in his seventh-inning walk, or his eighth-inning walk. They weren't strikeouts, after all. They didn't negatively affect his average, unlike so many at-bats lately.

Because David Ortiz, right now, is not David Ortiz. He looks awkward at the plate, not gaining enough power from his knees, not driving the ball, not doing much of anything. He has mentioned that some days his right knee doesn't feel all that good.

So with those walks and the two strikeouts and one double-play ball that came before it, Ortiz stretched his season-starting slump to 3 for 36. He did score on that first walk, motoring around on Manny Ramírez's double to center field, which proved to be a key run in Boston's 12-6 win over the Tigers at Fenway Park.

"He's just frustrated right now," hitting coach Dave Magadan said. "He started getting outside the strike zone, which is something that he doesn't normally do. He showed a good sign tonight, last two at-bats, took some pitches that are outside the zone. When he's doing that, he's at his best. It doesn't matter who you are, if you're swinging at balls, you're not going to get hits."

Asked if Ortiz's offseason surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his right knee, and the shortened offseason preparation time, might be the reasons for the slow start, Magadan demurred.

"I think David's tough," he said. "He doesn't like to make excuses. I'm not going to make any for him. He knows that. He's very frustrated by the start."

It's his worst streak as a member of the Red Sox, though not quite his worst stretch overall. In 2001 with the Twins, Ortiz was 0 for 15 from Sept. 6-18.

Ortiz is hitless in his last 10 at-bats, with one hit in his last 22 since he homered April 2 in Oakland, Calif.

He spent about 30 minutes before last night's game taking extra batting practice with Magadan.

"For me, it's not as much something mechanical, but his pitch selection," Magadan said. "He's hitting some balls hard right at people. He hasn't had a whole lot of balls fall in for him. Once that starts happening, we'll see the personality of old, he'll start rolling.

"You can't hide from that at this time of year. Because you're going up there, it's on the [scoreboard], you've got stat sheets all over the clubhouse. You can't hide from it."

Ortiz didn't seem particularly tense in the clubhouse, though he was not his ebullient self. He affably declined to speak to reporters before and after the game. He dressed quickly after the game and headed out of the clubhouse.

Just as he knows what's on the scoreboard for all to see, he knows what's coming next. The Yankees. And that can't make him any less hard on himself than he likely has been in a season that's only in its second week.

"I think the biggest thing is just trying to get him to relax," manager Terry Francona said. "As good a hitter as he is, you know, guys feel it. He understands his responsibility, he feels his responsibility probably more than anyone here. Sometimes he carries too much weight on his shoulders. When you ask about the walks, that's good. I think David's going through a period now where he feels like every pitch is a strike, he's getting down in the count, he sees a pitch and he fouls it. That's what part of going through a tough time is.

"He'll get untracked, make somebody pay for it."

Just like last time. Because, back in 2001, after Ortiz had suffered through a 3-for-37 stretch, he finished it off Sept. 25 in grand, David Ortiz style - with an eighth-inning home run to tie the game.

Ortiz maintains silence on, off field
Marino's Isotoners
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby jcobb79 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:12 am

Noggy wrote:I think Boston should take him out of the lineup and let him rest for the next... let's say 3 days. Bad knees or not, he's due to go off and that is scaring me right now....

I agree that would be the best thing for all parties give the guy some rest ;-7 . In all honesty if there was one team Papi can get on the right track against it's the yankees. If i had him this season I would be starting him this weekend.
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Frank Sinatra
jcobb79
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates