IP strategy for Roto Leagues - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

IP strategy for Roto Leagues

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

IP strategy for Roto Leagues

Postby enigma77 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:56 pm

I was wondering what some of your takes are on using your Innings Pitched in Roto Leagues. Should I be concerned if I'm ahead of schedule as long as I'm not ahead of the other managers in the league? I sat some of my starters over the last weekend, because I was getting ahead on IP. I wound up sitting some great starts. :~( I'll definitely not have 7 starters next time I play Roto.
12 Team, 5X5 Roto League
C-Martin, 1B-Howard, 2B-Weeks, 3B-Zimmerman, SS-Gonzalez, OF-Hamilton/Bourn/Heyward, Util - D Lee/P Fielder
BN-Prado/Furcal/Uribe/Smoak/Span
SP-Greinke/Haren/Garcia/C Lewis
RP-Wilson/Lindstrom/Capps/Corpas
DL-Street
enigma77 Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: IP strategy for Roto Leagues

Postby Jimmy » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:03 pm

I would just keep starting the great match ups. If you end up with a glut somewhere around mid-season, you can trade your pitching off. Another option would be to trade SP for relievers. That would cut off innings and improve ratios at the same time.
Ichiro? No...
Dunn? No...
Ichiro Dunn! 106 runs, 23 home runs, 87 rbis, 23 stolen bases, 0.313 season average
Adam Suzuki! 106 runs, 23 home runs, 87 rbis, 23 stolen bases, 0.313 season average
Double the fun!
Jimmy
College Coach
College Coach

Eagle Eye

Postby Old_Style » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:09 pm

I wouldn't worry about it. You'll have to use all of your IP at some point this season.
It depends on who you're throwing out there though. I wouldn't try to spot start and have 2-3 starters going every single day. Start your aces most times, if not every time, and start your mid-level starters wisely.

My strategy is to pick up 4 starters that'll give me some K's, pickup two mid-range closers (such as Capps, Soria, Corpas, Wood, Isringhausen this season), and pick up a few middle relievers that'll help your ratios and pitch in some K's.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby enigma77 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:29 pm

Old_Style wrote:
My strategy is to pick up 4 starters that'll give me some K's, pickup two mid-range closers (such as Capps, Soria, Corpas, Wood, Isringhausen this season), and pick up a few middle relievers that'll help your ratios and pitch in some K's.

That was sort of my strategy going into the draft, but I wound up with no superstar starters, and 7 at that. Right now, my pitching staff is: O.Perez, J.Shields, J.Weaver, Snell, Lincecum, Vasquez, Buchholz, Accardo, Papelbonn, Broxton, F.Rodriguez, and Putz.

I guess I could drop some starters over time, but right now, noone is sticking out as a drop.
12 Team, 5X5 Roto League
C-Martin, 1B-Howard, 2B-Weeks, 3B-Zimmerman, SS-Gonzalez, OF-Hamilton/Bourn/Heyward, Util - D Lee/P Fielder
BN-Prado/Furcal/Uribe/Smoak/Span
SP-Greinke/Haren/Garcia/C Lewis
RP-Wilson/Lindstrom/Capps/Corpas
DL-Street
enigma77 Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Broncmet724 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:37 pm

Well, you also have to think about injuries and slumps. Use them while they are pitching good as later in the year, they might get hurt or had a bad few starts you can sit them through
Broncmet724 Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby MTUCache » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:56 pm

I prefer to gradually get to about a week ahead of schedule through the first month or so, and then keep steady around there for the rest of the season... maybe it's not exactly logical, but I figure I'll gladly trade the last week of starts (when a lot of the top aces are going to be sat or held at a low pitch count getting ready for the post-season anyway) for a cushion of a couple of starts (in case my ace hits the DL for two or three starts).

But, I definitely won't let myself get more than 50IP ahead of schedule... that to me just means that I'm wasting good matchups at the end of the season for sub-par starts now from my #4/5 starters.

For the most part, as long as my staff stays healthy, I'm starting my top-two against just about everybody, my third starter in 80+% of his starts, and my fourth and fifth in about 50% of their starts (just the good matchups). If all five of them are projected for 200-220IP, that puts me around 800IP from my starters throughout the season. The rest of the innings will be soaked up by my bullpen, 4 closers + 2 setup guys (each averaging about 70-80IP for a total of 450).

Obviously any extended injuries will mess this up, but that just means more innings out of the other pitchers... currently I'm holding six starters on my team (after grabbing Cueto), but only until I can upgrade with a 2-for-1 trade. Until then Wainwright and McGowan are probably only going to see a handful of innings between them.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers