Micah Owings - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Micah Owings

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Micah Owings

Postby KrunK » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:20 am

What do you guys think? He's been hot in his first 2 games: 2W, 14K's, 2.63ERA, .88WHIP in 13.7 innnings. So far he's been a solid starter flying under the radar with Cueto/Volquez/Parra getting everybody's attention. I'm not saying he is on the same level as they are, but he is solid. I'd definitely take his first two starts over the crap that Bronson Arroyo has been serving up :-t
Credit to smoovethug on the sig
KrunK
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Micah Owings

Postby jdsun1 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:57 am

KrunK wrote:What do you guys think? He's been hot in his first 2 games: 2W, 14K's, 2.63ERA, .88WHIP in 13.7 innnings. So far he's been a solid starter flying under the radar with Cueto/Volquez/Parra getting everybody's attention. I'm not saying he is on the same level as they are, but he is solid. I'd definitely take his first two starts over the crap that Bronson Arroyo has been serving up :-t

He has some solid minor league stats so Im thinking he might be for real. An added bonus is he is a great spot starter against the Giants next week and then I think he might be going against a weak padres or giants team again with his start after that. A 4-0 start to the year would be a good time to sell high on him.
jdsun1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:33 pm

For what it's worth, Sickels thinks Owings could develop the same way John Lackey did in the long run.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 453)

Postby KrunK » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:43 pm

Would anyone consider dropping Arroyo for Owings? I'm sick of having this overrated turd filling a pitching slot on my team when there are at least 2 or 3 guys available I wouldn't mind using over him.
KrunK
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby knapplc » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:08 pm

KrunK wrote:Would anyone consider dropping Arroyo for Owings? I'm sick of having this overrated turd filling a pitching slot on my team when there are at least 2 or 3 guys available I wouldn't mind using over him.

Arroyo's best year came in his first year in the NL. I think hitters weren't used to him and his numbers got a bit inflated. Owings is a good young pitcher, but you're going to have to suffer through those occasional rough patches if you pick him up, while Arroyo is a veteran who should be solid but certainly not spectacular.

Depends on your level of risk-taking, but Owings is certainly an intriguing option.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Ryno23 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:22 pm

I'm another-stinker-from-Gorzelanny away from dumping him for Owings.
Ryno23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby knapplc » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:27 pm

Ryno23 wrote:I'm another-stinker-from-Gorzelanny away from dumping him for Owings.

I don't know if you watched that Cubs/Pirates game the other day, but Gorzelanny looked OK for the first two innings, then the bottom fell out on him and he didn't survive the third. I would hold off on dumping him quite yet, and I think if you ditched Gorz for Owings you'd be making a lateral move. They both have good stuff. I suppose Owings' offense is a little better, though.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby KrunK » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:09 pm

knapplc wrote:
KrunK wrote:Would anyone consider dropping Arroyo for Owings? I'm sick of having this overrated turd filling a pitching slot on my team when there are at least 2 or 3 guys available I wouldn't mind using over him.

Arroyo's best year came in his first year in the NL. I think hitters weren't used to him and his numbers got a bit inflated. Owings is a good young pitcher, but you're going to have to suffer through those occasional rough patches if you pick him up, while Arroyo is a veteran who should be solid but certainly not spectacular.

Depends on your level of risk-taking, but Owings is certainly an intriguing option.

Yeah that's really the only reason I haven't dumped him yet, if arroyo lays another goose egg Saturday and Owings is still around I might just be giving him the boot.
KrunK
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CBMGreatOne » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:42 pm

Owings >> Arroyo. Make the switch now. Arroyo has no upside.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 246)

Postby DeadWinterDay » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:00 pm

im all for micah.
DeadWinterDay
College Coach
College Coach