Great MR's off to a rocky start.. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Great MR's off to a rocky start..

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Great MR's off to a rocky start..

Postby kemper5 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:28 am

Betancourt,Neshek, Heath Bell, Broxton,Rauch..These guys have been hit pretty good. Bell just took a loss, Neshek got hammered his last outing for 3 ER's, Betancourt has not been sharp giving up runs, Rauch got hit and gave up earned runs his last time out, Broxton has been alright, he gave up a run today, but it could have been worse.. These guys were all pretty automatic last year..Maybe not this year?
kemper5
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Great MR's off to a rocky start..

Postby MTUCache » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:30 am

Broxton - 4.1IP, 1W, 7K, 2.08 ERA, 1.15 WHIP
Bell - 6.2IP, 2K, 1.35 ERA, 1.20 WHIP

Both are completely cemented into my roster.

Change just one hit off Bell to a strikeout, and you're looking at ratios almost exactly the same as what was projected for both this year.

Seems like people are getting crazy reactionary about their bullpens this year, freaking out about blown saves and everything.... relax people. One week.

I don't know about you guys, but my bullpen of Soria, Gregg, Capps, Corpas, Bell, and Broxton is getting me exactly what I want. I'm crushing everybody in ERA/WHIP, only one behind the leader in Saves, tied for the lead in Wins, and tied for second in Ks (with most of the guys in the league having thrown way too many innings so far).

Relax people... deep breaths. Everything is going to be OOOOoooooootay. ;-D
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rookies and cream » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:52 am

lol. I'm trying the relief strategy this year and am getting crushed. Seems like whoever I put in blows up.

Neshek, Bell, and Heilman are not having a good week for me. I'm gonna stay the course though. I'm pretty sure I can bring down my ERA/WHIP of 6.75/1.82.

You're right about Bell though. I watched him pitch last night and he didn't look bad. Molina's hit was a bloop down the line and Edmonds probably should have caught that drive to CF (if he wasn't playing so shallow).
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 45)

Postby bigwords » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:12 pm

Yeah, way too early to conclude anything.

Though in general, for the first month, I'd be more focussed on walks allowed and strikeouts made than earned runs and hits allowed.

Luck and defense play a large role in determining whether a hit ball becomes a hit or an out. In small sample sizes, a pitcher's ERA and hits allowed don't mean much.

But strikeouts and walks are entirely attributable to the pitcher and show you whether he has dominance and command.
bigwords
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rookies and cream » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:04 pm

I conclude that Heilman is really bad right now. Definitely not a good week to plug him in to help with the ratios. :-t
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby rookies and cream » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:38 pm

j24jags wrote:Heilman is horrible, he is a 2-pitch pitcher, he loves giving up homeruns, and his BB/9 is not anything special. I know he is good for holds because the rest of the Mets' bullpen (outside of Feliciano) sucks, but I would not own him now or anytime soon in a non-holds league. I'd much much much rather have guys like Bell, Broxton, Betancourt, etc. even a guy like Nunez (KC), Flash Gordon, Turnbow, Riske, Speier, anyone over Heilman.

What you are saying is true, but if you look at Aaron's stats over the past 3 years, his ERA is consistently between 3.05 and 3.15 and his WHIP is around 1.05 to 1.10.

These ratios are much better than the second tier of players you mention, except possibly Speier, who was solid last year.
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby rookies and cream » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:00 pm

I watch almost every Met game too. Heilman looks VERY VERY bad right now. Yes, he has given up some untimely HR's in the past, but he's not this hittable when he is going well. Hopefully, he will turn things around soon...
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby MasterX1918 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:22 am

Neshek's numbers are extremely deceiving, imo. He gave up a fluke grand slam that never should have happened. I think a fielder made a blunder on what would of been the third out of the inning. Before that he had only given up 1 hit in 3.1 innings of work
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers