Do I let this trade stand as commish? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Do I let this trade stand as commish?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Do I let this trade stand as commish?

Postby toledomudhens » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:03 pm

i kinda getting tired of commisioners useing there "power" to decide what other team owners do with there team.... why don't you guys start your own 1 team leagues with yourselves as the top dog so you could run the whole damn show the way you want and see fit. just because you guys are the commish of your leagues you have no right to tell the teams in your league that only trades that you see fit will go threw... to me i really think that some of these commishes are just pissed that they missed the boat on some of these foolish trades... ya these are foolish trades, butin no way are you responsible to decide what other owners do with there teams.
toledomudhens
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 200)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Matthias » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:25 pm

toledomudhens wrote:i kinda getting tired of commisioners useing there "power" to decide what other team owners do with there team.... why don't you guys start your own 1 team leagues with yourselves as the top dog so you could run the whole damn show the way you want and see fit. just because you guys are the commish of your leagues you have no right to tell the teams in your league that only trades that you see fit will go threw... to me i really think that some of these commishes are just pissed that they missed the boat on some of these foolish trades... ya these are foolish trades, butin no way are you responsible to decide what other owners do with there teams.

I think this says more about you than it does about the people veto'ing.

As far as the trade, if it was voted to be vetoed, then it's vetoed. Unless the league talks about it and changes its mind, any attempt to redo the trade just hoping that people will get tired of voting, should be vetoed on principle.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CBMGreatOne » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:45 pm

toledomudhens wrote:i kinda getting tired of commisioners useing there "power" to decide what other team owners do with there team.... why don't you guys start your own 1 team leagues with yourselves as the top dog so you could run the whole damn show the way you want and see fit. just because you guys are the commish of your leagues you have no right to tell the teams in your league that only trades that you see fit will go threw... to me i really think that some of these commishes are just pissed that they missed the boat on some of these foolish trades... ya these are foolish trades, butin no way are you responsible to decide what other owners do with there teams.

A weak argument. If you can't see how this hurts the people who are actually taking the league seriously (who aren't involved in this trade), then you are blind. The merits of this trade can't even be argued for. It probably is collusion. It should be vetoed 11 times out of 10.

PS, your psychological analysis of the hypothetical commish who would veto this deal is wildly off base. No league I commission would see this trade pending and not result in a large scale uproar. It is an absolutely horrible trade, the kind you only get in public leagues with teams that are already out of it in early June.

:-t :-t :-t
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby noseeum » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:01 pm

CBMGreatOne wrote:

A weak argument. If you can't see how this hurts the people who are actually taking the league seriously (who aren't involved in this trade), then you are blind. The merits of this trade can't even be argued for. It probably is collusion. It should be vetoed 11 times out of 10.

PS, your psychological analysis of the hypothetical commish who would veto this deal is wildly off base. No league I commission would see this trade pending and not result in a large scale uproar. It is an absolutely horrible trade, the kind you only get in public leagues with teams that are already out of it in early June.

:-t :-t :-t

I completely disagree, especially now. Both Soriano and Bedard are hurt, and Delgado and Wang aren't. This thread is outdated, but you pretty much can't veto a trade of injured players. You can't force a guy to hold onto hurt players.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby CBMGreatOne » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:05 pm

Sure, the players are "hurt." Bedard is starting tomorrow and Soriano will be back May 1st. If you think this really changes things, fine. Considering the "talent" of the players involved (Delgado?... come on), I stand by my assertion that this is a really bad trade.

Edit: You're right, an outdated thread: The problem now is that both guys are healthy and coming back within the week. Maybe on April 9th there were more legit concerns about the players' health that swing this away from a veto vote, either way, the blanket statement about commissioner's not having a "right" to intervene in this case of probable/possible collusion is wrong.

In my league this would be a 2nd rounder (Soriano) who is coming back Thursday, and a 3rd rounder (Bedard) who is coming back today, for a 12th rounder (Wang) with a harmful K rate and a 16th rounder (Delgado) who isn't living up to his already pitiful draft stock. Where I come from that's a veto. I do league votes in my leagues and NOBODY would let this through.

PS: Cue the spelling/grammatically challenged post that claims that the draft is no longer relevant. (I'm waiting)
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Previous

Return to Commissioner's Corner