Rafael Soriano - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Rafael Soriano

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rafael Soriano

Postby The Bunter » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:26 am

DBronson12 wrote:Before Soriano was shelved, Cox remarked that Manny Acosta would serve as the Braves interim closer. Peter Moylan could also receive save opportunities.

Got this off of yahoo this morning. Acosta is going to be the main man, till he fails in the role.

Cox had Acosta in the closer role on monday (if it has been necessary, which it didn't) because Moylan had pitched in the previous 3 days. Moylan was the Braves's 8th inning guy... And counting that Acosta's walk ratio is not too good... Moylan will close while Soriano is out.

Go pick up Moylan guys! ;-D
The Bunter
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sansav » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:34 am

For those of you in deep NL only leagues it might make sense to pick up Mike Gonzalez. He was very good before injured and is expected back in June - if the Acosta/Moylan scrubs fail he could move into the role
sansav
College Coach
College Coach

Postby PavanoAllstars » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:46 am

Apr 9 RHP Manny Acosta and Australian RHP Peter Moylan are the likely candidates to serve as fill-in closer with RHP Rafael Soriano on the disabled list. Acosta, a 26-year-old native of Panama, notched 21 saves split between Class AA Mississippi and Class AAA Richmond last season. Moylan has been Atlanta's most dependable reliever this season, surrendering one run and five hits in 4 2/3 innings.

Don't be so quick to discount Acosta. Remember the C.J. Wilson Benoit debacle last year? Everyone picked up Benoit, myself included, and C.J. got the job. I would pick up both if at all possible because I think either could be the fill in closer (or maybe both.)
For every Brett Myers there's a Nate McLouth...
PavanoAllstars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Secret Avatar » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:29 pm

Neither Acosta nor Moylan are all that great. Acosta has better stuff (albeit with some control issues) and some experience closing (albeit in AAA). Moylan is a groundballer with a K/9 far below closer levels. I believe in the offseason the team indicated that Acosta was being groomed for a closers role or something to that effect.

I don't think anyone knows how this will shape up and I don't think the team has made any official announcement yet. Last I heard, Bobby Cox refused to state who would be the interim closer. So for those guys who are saying one of them "is the guy" that is likely premature. My money's on Acosta but it could easily go the other way or with some kind of CBC.

I doubt the team will be thrilled with either of them being the closer if Soriano is out for an extended period of time. A trade is possible, IMO.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Sp_Da_Man » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:20 pm

Didn't this same scenario happen a couple of years back too?

I remember the ATL closer got hurt, Cox said something about one of the possible replacements (Bernaro?) or someone then it turned out to be a totally random guy who ended up being the guy.

I guess what I'm getting at is I guess we'll have to see how it plays out. At least until M. Gonzales comes back this summer if Soriano is out a long time right?
Sp_Da_Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby PavanoAllstars » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:44 pm

you're right on target

look at seattle's situation... I picked up Mark Lowe, the "presumptive closer", "presumptive" being the key year, these situations sometimes just have to work themselves out, and sometimes a dark horse emerges, as may be happening right now in Seattle, or it's just a complete CBC which kills us Putz owners looking for a temporary fill in

that's why i'm so shocked with everyone assuming moylan's the guy, especially given Cox's track record
For every Brett Myers there's a Nate McLouth...
PavanoAllstars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Montana » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:37 am

Apr 11 Moylan threw a scoreless ninth inning with two strikeouts to record his first save in Friday's win over Washington. However, manager Bobby Cox says he'll use a closer-by-committee system that will also involve Manny Acosta while Rafael Soriano is on the DL, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports.

Recommendation: Acosta was set to be used as the closer on Monday with Soriano out, but Moylan got the first save chance. We'd pick up Moylan first if he's available as a result.
Montana
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates