When's it time to ride the pine? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

When's it time to ride the pine?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

When's it time to ride the pine?

Postby markj11 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:41 am

I know a lot people around here don't like to bench studs but it helped me last year by benching Wright and Shef durring their slumps. I'm not talking about filling in with a WW pickup. Maybe benching Soriano or Miggy for a Griffey or Gordon. So is it time to sit Miggy with his .100AVG 1R 1HR 1RBI?

EDIT: This is not a specific question involving Soriano or Miggy but any top 50 or so player.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: When's it time to ride the pine?

Postby great gretzky » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:52 am

good question, I have miggy, chipper, but have ibanez, mclouth on the bench. seriously debating moving chipper to third, and working someone else in for the time being. I just can't do that, playing too many games with high round guys who aren't hurt feels dangerous. the breakout game could have two home runs, and I don't like shaving off stats from my studs' projections so much.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby J35J » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:02 pm

I had a buddy that was wanting to bench Holliday a day or two before he has started hitting.....I'll tell you like I told him.....don't do it. :-)
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 363)

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:19 pm

J35J wrote:I had a buddy that was wanting to bench Holliday a day or two before he has started hitting.....I'll tell you like I told him.....don't do it. :-)

You didn't tell him to stop it... seriously? :*)
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby The Jury » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:33 pm

I've got Swisher filling in for Big Papi at 1B for now, I'm rotating younger guys at my Util position where Swisher is supposed to be.

I feel that the damage he's doing vs. the risk of his getting into a groove is enough to play this lineup with Papi on the bench for now.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby markj11 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:32 pm

J35J wrote:I had a buddy that was wanting to bench Holliday a day or two before he has started hitting.....I'll tell you like I told him.....don't do it. :-)

He should have known not to have Holliday on the bench in Coors.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BJSFAN123 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:37 pm

markj11 wrote:

He should have known not to have Holliday on the bench in Coors.

Exactly..Holliday is an absolute beast at home.
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:40 pm

I feel the same, but I'm finally benching Maggs to start Bill Hall. I was going to switch yesterday, but gave Maggs one more shot, while Hall hit a solo bomb on the bench. So get Maggs in your lineup...he's breaking out today, and I'll be mad as hell and won't bench him again...HA!
BALCO All-Stars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby deutschland » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:37 pm

horrible idea unless there are signs of a severely limiting injury. even then, no.
deutschland
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mkooljr1 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:44 pm

Man, add another bullet point to the list of what separates fantasy experts from casual players. Benching Miguel Cabrera or Soriano for Griffey or Gordon? Are you kidding me?? Benching Magglio for BILL HALL?! And someone wanted to bench Holliday? Seriously, I just don't have words to describe how idiotic it is to try to perfectly time "hot" and "cold" streaks. You don't even realize a player is on a cold streak until a week into it, and by the time you notice and decide to bench him, he gets hot again and reverts back to his historical performance. Same as a hot streak but reverse.

This isn't much different than the stock market where any smart market analyst worth anything would tell you to never try to time the market, and buy and hold has always proven to be the best strategy.

Are you guys also benching Sabathia, Burnett, Myers, and Oswalt for Bannister, Redding and Livan Hernandez?
Pal Locale - Get paid to meet people and share your skills
RotoGraphs Posts
mkooljr1
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers