Justin Duchscherer hits the DL - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Justin Duchscherer hits the DL

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Justin Duchscherer hits the DL

Postby Matthias » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:29 am

Officially landed on the 15-day DL.

The Oakland Athletics placed Justin Duchscherer on the 15-day disabled list Tuesday with an inflamed biceps and held Rich Harden out of his scheduled start because of a strained muscle in his upper arm. Duchscherer, a righty, left his first start in four years last Friday against Cleveland in the sixth inning because of pain in his arm. An MRI Sunday revealed the inflammation. Duchscherer, who missed much of last season with a hip injury, said he will play catch Wednesday or Thursday if he is pain free.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Justin Duchscherer hits the DL

Postby The Big Train » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:43 am

Looks like a return next weekend against the Mariners could be in the works...

OAKLAND -- The folded-up sheet of paper A's starter Justin Duchscherer has been carrying around for the past week or so has it all laid out, detailing the daily rehab schedule that the team's athletic trainers put together to serve as his guide to recovery from a strained right biceps muscle.
The plan has been serving him so well that he's now slightly ahead of schedule.

Placed on the 15-day disabled list April 5, the day after he left his first start of the season after five strong innings that earned him a victory over the Indians, Duchscherer on Wednesday threw 20 pitches in the bullpen at McAfee Coliseum.

The sheet of paper had him scheduled to throw from halfway up the mound's slope, but Duchscherer threw from the rubber the whole time and came out of the session beaming.

"I went great, awesome," he said before the A's opened a two-game series against the visiting Mariners. "I was letting it go pretty good, too. I feel great. No pain at all."

That's great news for the A's, who also are without right-hander Rich Harden, on the DL retroactive to April 3 with a strained muscle beneath his right shoulder blade. Harden hasn't yet started a throwing program, and there's no timetable for his return.

Lefties Lenny DiNardo and rookie Greg Smith have been filling in for Duchscherer and Harden, leaving the A's with one lefty -- Alan Embree -- in the bullpen.

"The guys are throwing well, picking us up, and the team's doing great, but I really want to get back out there," Duchscherer said. "It makes me sick not being able to do my job, and I need to prove that I can stay healthy as a starter."

Duchscherer, who missed the final four months of last season after hip surgery, pitched exclusively in relief for the A's over the past four years before being given a shot at starting this spring. The decision was made in part because Duchscherer and the team are hoping that a more stable routine will keep him off the DL.

The next step for Duchscherer is another bullpen session Friday or Saturday in preparation for a rehab start with Triple-A Sacramento on Monday. Duchscherer said he only expects to make one rehab start before being activated, and A's manager Bob Geren said he's on the same page with the former All-Star setup man.

"Right now, yeah," Geren said. "We'll see how it goes. He hasn't been off that long."

http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/news/a ... p&c_id=oak
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Injuries & Player Updates