Ervin Santana: So Far, So Good - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ervin Santana: So Far, So Good

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ervin Santana: So Far, So Good

Postby Grounded Polo » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:28 am

Ervin has started out the season nicely so far. His first start was on the road and he got the win on 4 hits, 2 earned runs, 2 walks, and 3 strikeouts. Last night, his second start was against Cleveland, a team that has completely destroyed him for a 7.59 ERA and given him 5 losses in 5 starts. He went another 6 innings with 6 hits, 2 earned runs, 3 walks, and 5 strikeouts and left in the position to win.

It looks like he is stepping it up with Lackey out and Escobar likely gone for the season. Hopefully he can come closer to his '06 campaign and provide solid ratios, over a dozen wins, and around 150 k's which would be a nice value considering he was just a flier pick this season. ;-D
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Ervin Santana: So Far, So Good

Postby freeling_prideful » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:53 am

Yeah I picked him up in free agency but haven't started him thus far. I was particularly scared of starting him against Cleveland giving his career numbers and the leftie-stacked lineup (Sizemore, Hafner and VMart switches).

Now I'm faced w/ the decision for next week...he has 2 starts, but one of them is against Texas at Arlington and I'm almost sure he'll get stung. Hamilton, Blalock could definitely hurt him and his career numbers against the rangers are terrible. Obviously I'd be comfortable starting him against only Seattle at home, but I don't have that option...
freeling_prideful
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:25 pm

Ervin is usually a fairly good bet pitching at home and at night. It was nice to see him pitch well away at Minnesota last week, but he'll be tested at Arlington and against the Texas Rangers, a ballpark where he's been rather shaky pitching in.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby BJSFAN123 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:07 pm

I picked him up after he had a nice ST, and so far I'm glad I did. Pitched well on the road, and pitched well against a team that he had like a 8 era against (Cleveland)

What's even crazier is I started him both times..

Anyone else surprised at how well the LAA rotation has been doing without Lackey/Escobar?
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Grounded Polo » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:15 pm

I only started him against Cleveland just because their offense hasn't really gotten it together yet. If they were in sync, I definitely would have sat him. I haven't really decided on whether or not to start him at Arlington. I may do it because it's on Monday and if he gets shelled, I'll have the whole week to make up for it. I usually start guys until they burn me. I definitely want to start him at home against Seattle and feel fortunate that his rotation spot skips over Boston at Fenway.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby pangbones » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:21 pm

BJSFAN123 wrote:I picked him up after he had a nice ST, and so far I'm glad I did. Pitched well on the road, and pitched well against a team that he had like a 8 era against (Cleveland)

What's even crazier is I started him both times..

Anyone else surprised at how well the LAA rotation has been doing without Lackey/Escobar?

I grabbed him late, in a deep league, and have been very happy thus far. I've gotten great value from him so far, and he should have had the win last night!! :-t

I'm more surprised by how bad the LAA bullpen has been. Injuries aside, they haven't been pitching all that well.
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Return to Baseball Leftovers