Dream Job? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Dream Job?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Dream Job?

Postby Nomar4prez » Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:28 am

I know this isn't the right place to post this, but for the people who watched the show, do you think that people voted the wrong way? By this I mean to vote for the person to stay on the show? Because I was absolutely shocked when they said Mike Hall. IMO, he was the best one. WOW, reality shows really do suck you in. Ah well, just had to vent my anger.
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nsulham » Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:35 am

This may sound like sour grapes but as a Broadcast Journalism grad myself, I honestly think I could have done better than 4 of the 6 on that show.

Yes it's national TV and there's a ton of pressure but some of them weren't that great.

I agree though, Mike Hall IMO was the best of the bunch.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby stevelabny » Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:43 am

i'll add to this thread and then go look and see if theres one elsewhere.

espn blew it on this one.
1> i tried to vote as soon as the last contestant finished his sportscenter audition...and never got through.I was getting a "site is too busy to process your request message" i have a very nice dsl connection, so it wasnt a problem on my end. how can one of the busiest sites on the net not be able to handle traffic?
2> they opened the voting from the beginning of the show. therefore, everyone who didnt like the 1st guy voted for him without even seeing the others. he DID stammer and seem nervous, BUT most (if not all) of the others were WORSE.
there was over an hour to vote on the first guy, but only 10 minutes to vote on the last guy. this procedure is UNFAIR.

I've already sent an e-mail to Espn...on the off-chance they actually pay any attention to it.
"Baseball is like church. Many attend. Few understand." -- Leo Durocher
stevelabny
College Coach
College Coach

Postby wrveres » Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:47 am

stevelabny wrote:i'll add to this thread and then go look and see if theres one elsewhere.

1> i tried to vote as soon as the last contestant finished his sportscenter audition...and never got through.I was getting a "site is too busy to process your request message" i have a very nice dsl connection, so it wasnt a problem on my end. how can one of the busiest sites on the net not be able to handle traffic?
2> they opened the voting from the beginning of the show. therefore, everyone who didnt like the 1st guy voted for him without even seeing the others. he DID stammer and seem nervous, BUT most (if not all) of the others were WORSE.
there was over an hour to vote on the first guy, but only 10 minutes to vote on the last guy. this procedure is UNFAIR.

I've already sent an e-mail to Espn...on the off-chance they actually pay any attention to it.

good call ... I sign the petition with ya. I actually had to change the channel with the fat white boy, Skinner was it? he was awful :-t
Mike Hall was with out a doubt, the best of the bunch.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby tlef316 » Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:57 am

i think the young kid was the best. i forget his name. i think the fat white dude should have gone. all he did was scream. i thought most of the contestants were trying too hard. i really hate anchors like Stuart Scott because i watch SC for highlights, not amateur comedy hour.

IMO, ESPN News is far better than SC nowadays. you get the highlights and the scores that you want without all the "Boo Yahs" and unfunny linda cohn comments. :-t
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby tlef316 » Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:58 am

wrveres wrote:
stevelabny wrote:i'll add to this thread and then go look and see if theres one elsewhere.

good call ... I sign the petition with ya. I actually had to change the channel with the fat white boy, Skinner was it? he was awful :-t

his name was quigly i thought :-? i could be wrong
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby wrveres » Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:59 am

tlef316 wrote:
wrveres wrote:

his name was quigly i thought :-? i could be wrong

maybe it was ;-D ... but you know the one...
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby DGroundhog » Mon Feb 23, 2004 1:45 am

I turn to ESPN to get AWAY from that reality show crap.

'The Simple Life' I guess I kind of liked, other than that...reality shows seem kind of pointless to me.

ESPN should think about more FANTASY based shows before dipping into that tin of reality based shows.

Fantasy sports are huge, but ESPN has a very minimal amount of time based to it. They give you 'fantasy leaders' for football on the crawl line, but ignore the huge popularity of something that would potentially increase their viewership and increase peoples interest in the games they show on occasion.

I ignored hockey until I got in a fantasy hockey league, I'll watch it now. Fantasy hockey has given ESPN at least one more hockey viewer.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby stevelabny » Mon Feb 23, 2004 1:47 am

is there a reason nobody on these boards snips quotes rather than continue to quote whole posts? especially when you're responding within seconds of each other? just curious.

screaming quigs shouldve been the first to go. what a one-trick pony. how could he not know he was being too loud? or better yet, how did he get this far?

the williams who was voted off was the second worst, but i wouldve given him a second chance just to make sure. his problem wasnt just his stammering and the butcher job on the hockey highlight but his complete and utter lack of charisma.

the comedian who went last wasnt too impressive. he also went overboard. too many jokes. not particularly good deliveyr on them. needs to tone down his act and try to be a little more personable.

the asian jewish stanford kid has the best delivery (probably because at stanford, hes used to live broadcasting and was less nervous) but his writing was a little on the bland side for me.

the first one probably had the best total package. he had the second best delivery, the second or third best writing and some personality but the winner of the nite has to be

the chick. she was also too stammery for tv (only 4th out of the 6)but easily had the best writing. just the right mix of humor and actually has a personality.

my gf who isnt a sports fan but sees plenty of espn because of me didnt like her because she talked to slow and stammered to much, and muched preferred the comedian. of course, we're usually snobby fast-talking new yorkers who cant stand how slow the rest of you speak, so thats where shes coming from.

as for people bashing sportscenter comedy. the comedy is NECESSARY. so is the insight. baseball tonight = mostly insight. sportcenter = hightlights and comedy. espnews = more highlights, less comedy. (but still some) don't you guys remember the glory days of olberman,patrick, and kilborn?

sure stuart scott has become a gross exaggeration of himself, but so what? its still amusing to listen to what a wigger he is. :-P

espn would never have survived if sportscenter wasnt funny.
stevelabny
College Coach
College Coach

Postby stevelabny » Mon Feb 23, 2004 1:49 am

i also hate espns lack of fantasy coverage, you figure with this many channels on 24/7 they would find an hour or two SOMEWHERE.

but what really gets my goat is that :-P is a negative "disgusted" icon on fbc, instead of a playful "sitck out tongue" icon like it is everywhere else.absolutely kills me.
stevelabny
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to General Talk