Jordan Schafer Suspended for HGH Use - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Jordan Schafer Suspended for HGH Use

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jordan Schafer Suspended for HGH Use

Postby Another Blown Save » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:40 pm

Rotoworld wrote:MLB suspended Double-A Mississippi outfielder Jordan Schafer 50 games for using human growth hormone.
Perhaps this partially explains Schafer's big leap forward last year, though studies on whether hGH really helps performance have yet to produce much in the way of results. Schafer has been viewed as a big-time talent since long before he was drafted -- Baseball America named him the top 13-year-old prospect in the nation in 2000 -- but he as often as not disappointed before blossoming in 2007. The 50-game ban figures to ruin his hopes of reaching the majors this season. He had been looked at as a good bet to take over as the Braves' center fielder next year, but that's in doubt now as well.
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Jordan Schafer Suspended for HGH Use

Postby Grounded Polo » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:35 pm

Ouch. :-/
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby High Heater » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:12 pm

thats a shame.... he reminds of Grady and was someone i was targeting as a WW claim when he gets the call this year.
High Heater
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby BUCCOFAN » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:20 pm

High Heater wrote:thats a shame.... he reminds of Grady and was someone i was targeting as a WW claim when he gets the call this year.

Perfect comparison....I was thinking Grady too, with a little less pop. Does this zap his value in leagues, for this season and future seasons?

I got him in an auction League, @ $2. with 3 year contracts tops....
BUCCOFAN
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 279)

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:26 pm

BUCCOFAN wrote:
Perfect comparison....I was thinking Grady too, with a little less pop. Does this zap his value in leagues, for this season and future seasons?

It should only hurt his value for this year. He will end up missing 1/3 of the year, so very doubtful he gets the call this year.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Grounded Polo » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:42 pm

I would have eaten my hat if Schafer was anything close to Sizemore offensively while he was on HGH but now that he'll be forced off it, expectations should be much more realistic.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:17 am

Grounded Polo wrote:I would have eaten my hat if Schafer was anything close to Sizemore offensively while he was on HGH but now that he'll be forced off it, expectations should be much more realistic.

I think he will come back just fine. It might take him a while to get the trust of his teammates and the Braves organization, but I still think he turns into a fine MLB player with 20/20 potential out of the center field spot.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigken117 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:09 pm

I don't want to say Schafer's season was a fluke or a product of HGH, but he'll have to prove himself all over again when he comes back.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:13 pm

bigken117 wrote:I don't want to say Schafer's season was a fluke or a product of HGH, but he'll have to prove himself all over again when he comes back.

As long as he doesn't have to start back over at Myrtle Beach, his numbers will be fine.
raiders_umpire

Return to Minor League & College Baseball