Daisuke Matsuzaka DOMINATING - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Daisuke Matsuzaka DOMINATING

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Daisuke Matsuzaka DOMINATING

Postby bbroydri » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:20 pm

In his last 2 outings, he has dominated the opposition. If you look at Becketts 1st year in Boston compared to Dice-K's 1st year, they are quite similar.

Beckett: 16-11, 204 IP, 191 H, 36 HR, 74 BB, 158 K, 5.01 ERA
Matzuzaka: 15-12, 204 IP, 191 H, 25 HR, 80 BB, 201 K, 4.40 ERA

Can we expect to see Daisuke make that jump to Ace status like Beckett did last year?

If Daisuke keeps pitching this well, Red Sox clearly have the best 1-2 punch in all of baseball.
bbroydri
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Daisuke Matsuzaka DOMINATING

Postby Secret Avatar » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:01 pm

Dice-K has been very good but too many walks (4 BB in 6.2 IP today). Hard to post ace numbers when you give that many free passes. So far the walks haven't burned him, but they will grind him down unless he gets them under control.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jcobb79 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:05 pm

bbroydri wrote:Can we expect to see Daisuke make that jump to Ace status like Beckett did last year?

If Daisuke keeps pitching this well, Red Sox clearly have the best 1-2 punch in all of baseball.

This should probably be moved to baseball leftovers. And as far as your question is concerned ask me again in a month or so after he has gone up against some teams that are hitting. 2 appearances against the AAA OAK offense and a Detroit club that can't hit there way out of a box right now does not make an Ace out of Dice-K
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Frank Sinatra
jcobb79
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby jdsun1 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:19 pm

jcobb79 wrote:
bbroydri wrote:Can we expect to see Daisuke make that jump to Ace status like Beckett did last year?

This should probably be moved to baseball leftovers. And as far as your question is concerned ask me again in a month or so after he has gone up against some teams that are hitting. 2 appearances against the AAA OAK offense and a Detroit club that can't hit there way out of a box right now does not make an Ace out of Dice-K

I highly disagree. To write off any pitcher because of the team he faces is a huge mistake and only a rookie fantasy player would think like that. His peripherals show that he has better control this year and we all know he has huge K potential. Last year was a bad year for him amid huge expectations and this is looking like the year he puts it all together.
jdsun1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:30 pm

I don't like the walk rate. 5BB's in his 1st start and then 4 in his most recent. I agree he could definetly put up better numbers, but I wouldn't expect numbers like Beckett's last year
FantasyFreak
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Matthias » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:10 pm

I don't get the big deal about the walk rate.

His WHIP before today was 0.77. His WHIP today was 1.20.

It doesn't bother me that much how a pitcher lets guys onto base; I'm more concerned about how many.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:30 pm

Also, factor in that Dice K didn't allow any free passes his second time out vs. Oakland. The key for him is to cut down on walks and also to avoid full count situations that ate away at his pitch count and thus, he couldn't hang in there for say, 7 innings. Dice K isn't dominant yet, but I think if he fulfills those keys and hones in on his stamina, he'll be in good shape to improve.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 623)

Postby jcobb79 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:58 am

jdsun1 wrote:
jcobb79 wrote:

I highly disagree. To write off any pitcher because of the team he faces is a huge mistake and only a rookie fantasy player would think like that. His peripherals show that he has better control this year and we all know he has huge K potential. Last year was a bad year for him amid huge expectations and this is looking like the year he puts it all together.

Well I am glad that you HIGHLY disagree thats good to know. I stand by the fact that Dice-K is a very good pitcher with the potential to become an ace, in fact I own him in a few leagues and believe he will have a great season. That beings said to somehow declare that after 3 games against offenses that are or were struggling that Dice K is an Ace and will have a Cy Young caliber year, ala Josh Beckett 2007, is what I would call a rookie fantasy player mistake.
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Frank Sinatra
jcobb79
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Sho Nuff » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:24 am

Secret Avatar wrote:Dice-K has been very good but too many walks (4 BB in 6.2 IP today). Hard to post ace numbers when you give that many free passes. So far the walks haven't burned him, but they will grind him down unless he gets them under control.

Agreed on the walks...and I was steaming at Francona to get him out of there before the 4th walk yesterday. Had already thrown over 100 pitches...I guess they thought he could quickly get the last out of the 6th. But damn...4 straight pitches and a walk.
Sho Nuff
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby GrubNasty » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:42 pm

all i know is that i get a new offer for Dice K every day in all my leagues.
GrubNasty
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates