Carlos Delgado...what do we have here? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Carlos Delgado...what do we have here?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Carlos Delgado...what do we have here?

Postby Cobra_Kai » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:09 pm

Obviously there were question marks surrounding him as the season opened (and those questions still remain, obviously), but he's looked solid at the plate. From what I've seen, he appears to be focusing more on contact, and he's not overswinging, looking to knock it out of the park every time. He hit his first home run of the season today, and in that lineup, solid RBI totals wouldn't be a stretch. What's the Cafe's feeling on this guy, now that he's had a week-plus of games?
Cobra_Kai
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Carlos Delgado...what do we have here?

Postby CBMGreatOne » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:17 pm

I just wouldn't expect him to hit .270, but 25 HRs and 100 RBIs is well within reach if he can stay healthy. All in all, he was a guy I didn't want in drafts this year in spite of his cheap price tag, but he could definitely be a cheap source of power.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby creepingdeath » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:42 pm

I think I am about the only person thats high on Delgado this year. The man has been a 4th/5th round (or better) draft pick for I dont know how many years straight. Hes only 35, 1 bad season and everyone thinks his career is done? I expect a rebound year, look at those career #'s! Excluding last year, he put together 10 straight 30 plus HR seasons, 6 of which he hit 38 dongs or more. 9 straight years of 99 or more RBI's and an OPS of .900 or better, with batting average during this time of a repectable .289. I just dont understand, with him hitting in that lineup and getting drafted so low, how people pass on him and think hes done. Even good players have bad seasons occasionaly. I expect him to return to normal #'s this year. His career numbers make him exactly the type of player I personally target in drafts, since the goal is to draft a player whos value will increase or at least break even as to where you drafted him.
creepingdeath
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Jury » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:52 pm

creepingdeath wrote:I think I am about the only person thats high on Delgado this year. The man has been a 4th/5th round (or better) draft pick for I dont know how many years straight. Hes only 35, 1 bad season and everyone thinks his career is done? I expect a rebound year, look at those career #'s! Excluding last year, he put together 10 straight 30 plus HR seasons, 6 of which he hit 38 dongs or more. 9 straight years of 99 or more RBI's and an OPS of .900 or better, with batting average during this time of a repectable .289. I just dont understand, with him hitting in that lineup and getting drafted so low, how people pass on him and think hes done. Even good players have bad seasons occasionaly. I expect him to return to normal #'s this year. His career numbers make him exactly the type of player I personally target in drafts, since the goal is to draft a player whos value will increase or at least break even as to where you drafted him.

I don't think it's so much one bad season as it is that Delgado is easily past his prime and is in decline now. That combined with his injury risk make him less appealing than he was a few years ago.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby colemwi » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:41 pm

watched him everygame. I still am not impressed, cant get around any more. lets see him take somebody not named jamie moyer deep
colemwi
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:04 pm

colemwi wrote:watched him everygame. I still am not impressed, cant get around any more. lets see him take somebody not named jamie moyer deep

Are the ones off Moyer worth less than the ones hit off other pitchers?

He should hit 25 and drive in 90-100, with upside for more in both categories. I wouldn't pair him up with players like Cust or Dunn, cause he's going to hit .260 or so, I imagine.

I do agree that he's looked pretty good at the plate so far this season, though.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby The Guru » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:51 am

I think this is the best time to trade him. He's either going to get hurt or start sucking again.
(^) (o) - "Let's Hug it out"
The Guru
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pochucker » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:17 am

Wow he got around on a 76 mph fastball. He has more HRs off of Jamie Moyer than any other pitcher according to announcers. Need to see more
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby The Big Train » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:03 am

bigh0rt wrote:I do agree that he's looked pretty good at the plate so far this season, though.

And not surprisingly perhaps, he's played five of his six games on the road:

Home: .226/.331/.487, 261 AB
Road: .304/.390/.608

Home: .225/.313/.368, 225 AB (.681 OPS!)
Road: .288/.351/.518

Career at Shea: .227/.328/.425, 577 AB

Shea supressess LH HR by 11% but even that doesn't seem to account for those awful splits. I don't want anything to do with him if I have to bench him during extended Mets homestands.
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers