K-Rod Hurt? (Merged) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

K-Rod Hurt? (Merged)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: K-Rod Hurt? (Merged)

Postby Giambis » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:28 pm

I think it depends on the time frame. Given that this problem is obviously NOT going to go away, long term its Shields. For the next three days, I think Speier gets the chances.
Giambis
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 483
Joined: 26 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: K-Rod Hurt? (Merged)

Postby Montana168 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:35 pm

exactly what he said. ^^^ since shields just came off the DL himself they angels are confident he is at full strength that is why speier is getting the save opps. but if k-rod does go on the DL, then shields will resume the saves duties until he comes back. it is also very possible that krod will only be out for the weekend and will be good to go next week, which is what i am hoping for.
Image
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1458
Joined: 12 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: K-Rod Hurt? (Merged)

Postby stickkeys108 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:41 pm

I honestly think people are blowing this injury up and being extremely pessimistic about it.

I realize that K-Rod may have some ankle problems, but as we've all read, he'll be back by this weekend.

I don't see why you should waste a roster spot on Scot Shields for two or three games when, odd are, he may not even get an oppurtunity.

I've already dropped Shields for an extra hitter..........
stickkeys108
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 133
Joined: 26 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: K-Rod Hurt? (Merged)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:53 pm

stickkeys108 wrote:I honestly think people are blowing this injury up and being extremely pessimistic about it.

I realize that K-Rod may have some ankle problems, but as we've all read, he'll be back by this weekend.

I don't see why you should waste a roster spot on Scot Shields for two or three games when, odd are, he may not even get an oppurtunity.

I've already dropped Shields for an extra hitter..........


True, as long as K-Rod is available and is fit enough to go, he'll close. No question about that, but his effectiveness is likely to be compromised to some extent. His throwing motion has always been eccentric in just how forceful it is and given that his fastball has lost a few mph, it could affect him to the point you can't expect laser-thin ratios out of him either even if he gets his 40 saves when it's all said and done. All of a sudden, your 5th/6th round closer, even though he may not be a sunk cost entirely, wasn't so great of a pick for that value.
Image

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21947
(Past Year: 670)
Joined: 3 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Downloading rice

Re: K-Rod Hurt? (Merged)

Postby stickkeys108 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:28 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
stickkeys108 wrote:I honestly think people are blowing this injury up and being extremely pessimistic about it.

I realize that K-Rod may have some ankle problems, but as we've all read, he'll be back by this weekend.

I don't see why you should waste a roster spot on Scot Shields for two or three games when, odd are, he may not even get an oppurtunity.

I've already dropped Shields for an extra hitter..........


True, as long as K-Rod is available and is fit enough to go, he'll close. No question about that, but his effectiveness is likely to be compromised to some extent. His throwing motion has always been eccentric in just how forceful it is and given that his fastball has lost a few mph, it could affect him to the point you can't expect laser-thin ratios out of him either even if he gets his 40 saves when it's all said and done. All of a sudden, your 5th/6th round closer, even though he may not be a sunk cost entirely, wasn't so great of a pick for that value.


And I agree with you.

I'm surprised that K-Rod hasn't gotten hurt more often given his "herky-jerky" motion.

That being said, it's not good for me considering my #2 closer is Rafael Soriano. Now that both are hurt, I've been able to grab each's handcuff. Although I dropped Shields today, I still have Brandon Lyon/Tony Pena, Rafael Soriano/Manny Acosta, and Jeremy Accardo (who I want to strangle after the past two days). :-D
stickkeys108
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 133
Joined: 26 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: K-Rod Hurt? (Merged)

Postby Crystalstorm » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:10 am

stickkeys108 wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:
stickkeys108 wrote:I honestly think people are blowing this injury up and being extremely pessimistic about it.

I realize that K-Rod may have some ankle problems, but as we've all read, he'll be back by this weekend.

I don't see why you should waste a roster spot on Scot Shields for two or three games when, odd are, he may not even get an oppurtunity.

I've already dropped Shields for an extra hitter..........


True, as long as K-Rod is available and is fit enough to go, he'll close. No question about that, but his effectiveness is likely to be compromised to some extent. His throwing motion has always been eccentric in just how forceful it is and given that his fastball has lost a few mph, it could affect him to the point you can't expect laser-thin ratios out of him either even if he gets his 40 saves when it's all said and done. All of a sudden, your 5th/6th round closer, even though he may not be a sunk cost entirely, wasn't so great of a pick for that value.


And I agree with you.

I'm surprised that K-Rod hasn't gotten hurt more often given his "herky-jerky" motion.

That being said, it's not good for me considering my #2 closer is Rafael Soriano. Now that both are hurt, I've been able to grab each's handcuff. Although I dropped Shields today, I still have Brandon Lyon/Tony Pena, Rafael Soriano/Manny Acosta, and Jeremy Accardo (who I want to strangle after the past two days). :-D

You should have grabbed Moylan and NOT Acosta.As for Accardo,L's on back to back days is hard for me to stomache.With Ryan on the way back I dumped Accardo for Moylan.
Crystalstorm
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 172
Joined: 11 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: K-Rod Hurt? (Merged)

Postby stickkeys108 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:17 pm

I was able to grab Moylan.

So, now, my staff looks like this:

SP Dan Haren
SP John Smoltz
RP Francisco Rodriguez
RP Peter Moylan
P Jeremy Accardo
P Brandon Lyon
P Matt Cain
BN A.J. Burnett
BN Tony Pena
BN Rafael Soriano (DL)
DL Mark Prior

I'm like -17 IP so it's about I got some pitchers going.........
stickkeys108
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 133
Joined: 26 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: K-Rod Hurt? (Merged)

Postby enigma77 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:21 am

Any word on KRod's availability on Sunday?
12 Team, 5X5 Roto League
C-Martin, 1B-Howard, 2B-Weeks, 3B-Zimmerman, SS-Gonzalez, OF-Hamilton/Bourn/Heyward, Util - D Lee/P Fielder
BN-Prado/Furcal/Uribe/Smoak/Span
SP-Greinke/Haren/Garcia/C Lewis
RP-Wilson/Lindstrom/Capps/Corpas
DL-Street
enigma77 Beginner
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 145
Joined: 29 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: K-Rod Hurt? (Merged)

Postby cool Daddy » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:42 am

enigma77 wrote:Any word on KRod's availability on Sunday?


Francisco Rodriguez (ankle) has been given the OK by manager Mike Scioscia and was available to close Friday night.
Rodriguez didn't get a chance, as the Angels lost to the Mariners 8-5. He did throw in the bullpen and is feeling "a lot better now." Apr. 12 - 8:08 am et
cool Daddy
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 216
Joined: 26 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Oct. 22
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

San Francisco at Kansas City
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact