Partial Boycott of the Olympics ? Olympic Protests? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Partial Boycott of the Olympics ? Olympic Protests?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Partial Boycott of the Olympics ? Olympic Protests?

Postby Madison » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:04 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:The US rightfully speaks and acts out against humans rights violations all over the world, some would say too much, others, not enough.

Which is exactly why the government won't do it in this case and at this time.

This is a very divided nation. Everyone thinks they know more than the government as to how to run the country (myself included), when they don't have the foggiest clue about anything. Some people believe that getting Iraq out from under an evil dictator and helping them set up their own government, laws, and protection is a good thing. Some people feel we have no business there to begin with. The government decided to move on the information they had and take action. Result? Outcry and a large internal divide in this country over it. Because of that divide (and the country is firmly divided on tons of things, not just this), the government isn't going to get involved in this and dig themselves an even bigger hole, take more abuse, and have an even bigger issue within this country, no matter how just the cause might be.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:55 pm

Interesting topic but I just wanted to add a couple points.

Whoever said politics shouldnt enter into sports is being naive. China is absolutely using the olympics to further their own political agenda, much like Germany did. Should the rest of the world pretend it isnt happening?

The protests that have happened throughout Europe and the rest of the world to this point has absolutely made an impact already - when was the last time you remember seeing so much attention on the torch run? Isnt that in and of itself the purpose for the protests - to make more people aware of the issue?

My take on whether or not to boycott is somewhat different. I would love to see the sponsors boycott the olympics and use the ad revenue to highlight the issues as to why they pulled their funding instead. I bet their income generated from such a campaign would produce profits and goodwill from around the world that would match the expected income from sponsoring the games. Would you be more inclined to go out and buy Reebok if they decided to pull their millions in sponsorship of the games and instead used that money to run an ad campaign highlighting the human rights abuses in China? I know I would.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:11 pm

Madison wrote:the government isn't going to get involved in this and dig themselves an even bigger hole, take more abuse, and have an even bigger issue within this country, no matter how just the cause might be.

This administration?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGh3f2FV9S0
For better or worse, they don't seem to be overly concerned with public opinion or being divisive.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:54 am

Art Vandelay wrote:
Madison wrote:the government isn't going to get involved in this and dig themselves an even bigger hole, take more abuse, and have an even bigger issue within this country, no matter how just the cause might be.

This administration?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGh3f2FV9S0
For better or worse, they don't seem to be overly concerned with public opinion or being divisive.

There's enough unrest between those that know they don't know enough to make the big decisions and run this country, and those that think they know enough and think they know how to run the country. Fights, arguments, even killing between these two factions of the country currently. You really believe the government would continue the path and branch out to other things, when they know it will result in a civil war?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mweir145 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:59 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Whoever said politics shouldnt enter into sports is being naive.

Sure it's naive, but I never said it wasn't. In a perfect world the olympics wouldn't be political at all, and no countries would have to have boycotts that ruin tons of athlete's dreams. Unfortunately the "real world" sucks, and we're stuck with the Olympics being a place where politicians can carry out their agendas.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:44 am

Madison wrote:There's enough unrest between those that know they don't know enough to make the big decisions and run this country, and those that think they know enough and think they know how to run the country. Fights, arguments, even killing between these two factions of the country currently. You really believe the government would continue the path and branch out to other things, when they know it will result in a civil war?

I don't think an Olympic boycott would result in civil war, or anything close to it. And yes, I really believe the government will continue to do things that divide people. Unless the government ceases to exist, nothing they ever do will make everyone happy and unite all factions in agreement. Just this week we've got the free trade agreement with Colombia, which is not only dividing the populace, but Congress as well.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:26 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
Madison wrote:There's enough unrest between those that know they don't know enough to make the big decisions and run this country, and those that think they know enough and think they know how to run the country. Fights, arguments, even killing between these two factions of the country currently. You really believe the government would continue the path and branch out to other things, when they know it will result in a civil war?

I don't think an Olympic boycott would result in civil war, or anything close to it. And yes, I really believe the government will continue to do things that divide people. Unless the government ceases to exist, nothing they ever do will make everyone happy and unite all factions in agreement. Just this week we've got the free trade agreement with Colombia, which is not only dividing the populace, but Congress as well.

You're right, the boycott wouldn't directly result in a civil war, but it would push us closer to it. I think the government knows it needs to not put its foot into that water right now, the sharks are very hungry and no telling how little it might take to set them off. How many pokes does it take to set off the bomb? Dunno, but boycotting the Olympics would just be another poke to add to the tally and one less poke before the fuse gets lit.

And of course the government can't make everyone happy, just plain impossible to do. However, believe it or not, they've got a job. Money, power, whatever. Destroying the country results in no job so no money, power, whatever. While people may think the government is lacking in IQ, it is quite higher than most people think.

As to Columbia, I can't speak on that. Hasn't been a story in my area, haven't heard or seen one word on it. We're still getting bombarded with stories about the policing action over in Iraq and all the fighting inside this country about it.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:25 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
My take on whether or not to boycott is somewhat different. I would love to see the sponsors boycott the olympics and use the ad revenue to highlight the issues as to why they pulled their funding instead. I bet their income generated from such a campaign would produce profits and goodwill from around the world that would match the expected income from sponsoring the games. Would you be more inclined to go out and buy Reebok if they decided to pull their millions in sponsorship of the games and instead used that money to run an ad campaign highlighting the human rights abuses in China? I know I would.

Interesting you should say this, as I just had to write a page on this for my Sport Management class, regarding what I would advise my company to do if they were an Olympic sponsor and were receiving letters from people threatening to boycott our product.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby thedude » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:24 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote: Would you be more inclined to go out and buy Reebok if they decided to pull their millions in sponsorship of the games and instead used that money to run an ad campaign highlighting the human rights abuses in China? I know I would.

Doesn't Reebok have factories in China and sell shoes in China, as most multi-national corporations do? Would it not be hypocritical to pull for any company to pull its sponsorship of the Olympics just because it is being held in China and make a big PR campaign about why they are pulling out, only to continue to deal make money by operating in China?
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby mweir145 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:09 pm

mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Previous

Return to General Talk