Gagne - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Gagne

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Gagne

Postby Leiter Fan » Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:49 pm

In a 12 team league, where would you say Gagne should fall in on the draft? Yahoo has him ranked #3 overall, which seems utterly insane. Would you guys use up a first round pick on him?
"One of the teams represents truth, justice, the American way, and underdogs everywhere. The other represents George Steinbrenner!" - U.S. News and World Reports columnist John Leo on the difference between the Mets and the Yankees.
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ncstate04 » Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:52 pm

no way would i use a 1st round pick on a closer, even gagne. I would predict that gagne will go in the 2nd or 3rd round. There is way too much talent in the first two rounds to draft a closer, buts that my opinion/strategy. what does everyone think?
ncstate04
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Re: Gagne

Postby colour wolf » Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:52 pm

Leiter Fan wrote:In a 12 team league, where would you say Gagne should fall in on the draft? Yahoo has him ranked #3 overall, which seems utterly insane. Would you guys use up a first round pick on him?

#3 is crazy.

I think almost everyone on this site will disagree, but I think he's worth a late 1st round or early second round pick in a mixed league. In a NL-only league, he's definitely a first-rounder.
colour wolf
College Coach
College Coach

Postby DieHardCubbie » Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:52 pm

What is your scoring system.... :-?
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby kentx12 » Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:54 pm

In most 12 team leagues this year i believe Gagne will go late 1st early 2nd round and I am not willing to take him there. If he falls to the 4th I would take him but not before.

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Leiter Fan » Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:55 pm

DieHardCubbie wrote:What is your scoring system.... :-?

Its a mixed, 12 team, head-to-head league. It's a 5x5 with one extra category added in on each end (OPS on offense, holds on defense) - so I guess you would call it a 6x6. :)

Also, there is room for 4 starters and 4 relievers (no generic pitchers spot) - so the RP spot has to accomodate both closers for saves and middle relivers for holds.
Last edited by Leiter Fan on Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"One of the teams represents truth, justice, the American way, and underdogs everywhere. The other represents George Steinbrenner!" - U.S. News and World Reports columnist John Leo on the difference between the Mets and the Yankees.
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 4)

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:56 pm

I'd take him in the third but no sooner. Closers are just too reliant on their team's ability to win in close games.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby colour wolf » Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:04 pm

Standard 5x5.

Look, I know that everyone thinks that Gagne doesn't contribute much in the ERA and WHIP categories because of the limited number of innings he pitches. However, in this thread I give my reasons. Basically, behind Prior, Schmidt, and possible Randy K, nobody gives more value than Gagne in the ERA and WHIP categories. Plus, he guarantees that you finish in the top half of the saves category.
colour wolf
College Coach
College Coach

Postby DieHardCubbie » Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:34 pm

Leiter Fan wrote:

Its a mixed, 12 team, head-to-head league. It's a 5x5 with one extra category added in on each end (OPS on offense, holds on defense) - so I guess you would call it a 6x6. :)

Also, there is room for 4 starters and 4 relievers (no generic pitchers spot) - so the RP spot has to accomodate both closers for saves and middle relivers for holds.

Using this system....I would not use a first round pick on him....depending where I was drafting in the second I might use a mid to late pick on him there... :-)

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby DieHardCubbie » Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:35 pm

colour wolf wrote:

Standard 5x5.

Look, I know that everyone thinks that Gagne doesn't contribute much in the ERA and WHIP categories because of the limited number of innings he pitches. However, in this thread I give my reasons. Basically, behind Prior, Schmidt, and possible Randy K, nobody gives more value than Gagne in the ERA and WHIP categories. Plus, he guarantees that you finish in the top half of the saves category.

That is not the direction I was going....In a 5x5 I don't think he is worth a first rounder....but alot of point systems over value CL....and if that was the case....I wanted to know before I gave a response... :-)

DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers