Howie Kendrick Hurt? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Howie Kendrick Hurt?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Howie Kendrick Hurt?

Postby Slow Pitch » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:04 pm

Sounds like this will be a full week & very possibly a DL trip for Owie Kendrick.

From the Angels website:

ARLINGTON -- Second baseman Howard Kendrick said his strained left hamstring was feeling better Monday, but not good enough for him to return to the Angels' lineup nor guarantee he won't land on the disabled list because of the injury.

Kendrick was hurt Sunday while running the bases in the seventh inning of the Angels' 10-5 victory over the Mariners. He clutched his leg just before reaching second base on his third hit of the game, one that boosted his batting average to .500 (18-for-36). It was just his second game back after missing three because of a jammed right thumb.

"I actually feel better, so hopefully that's a good sign," Kendrick said after receiving pregame treatment Monday. "We're just doing everything you do for this -- heat, ice, try and strengthen it and the muscles around it."

But Kendrick admitted he has no idea when he will be ready to play next, nor whether he can avoid his third trip to the disabled list in the past two years.

"That's not a question for me," he said. "I can't make that decision. ... I can't tell you any set number of days it will take, because we don't know. Probably whenever I'm back out there, that's when I'll know."

Manager Mike Scioscia indicated Kendrick will get four or five days to show the team he's on the verge of returning. Beyond that, it appears a roster move would be necessary to keep the team from playing shorthanded for more than a week.

"We're going to give it a little time, to read in the next day or two which way it's going," Scioscia said. "Hamstrings are really a different animal and you really want to be cautious. Rush a guy back too soon, and next thing you know, he's on the disabled list.

"We're hopeful he might be back out there in a reasonable amount of time. Sometimes it takes a guy a week, sometimes longer. We'll see."

Backup infielder Maicer Izturis started in place of Kendrick in Monday's opener of a two-game series at Texas, but the .121 batting average he brought into the game is a concern. The Angels might shift Chone Figgins from third base to second during part of Kendrick's absence, and use Robb Quinlan at third.

"We'll see how we move forward in the next day or two," Scioscia said.
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CBMGreatOne » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:49 am

Kendrick is not playing because he is looking at his batting average right now and seeing that it is .500. He knows it can only get worse.

I grabbed The Riot. With Soriano now out for what could be a while, Theriot should get consistent ABs. Plus Theriot has 2B/SS eligibility so if you're in the unfortunate position of owning Rollins/Kendrick, as I do he can fill in, and make up missed games for both.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby soty » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:55 am

Rotoworld:
Angels placed second baseman Howie Kendrick on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to April 14, with a strained hamstring.

Kendrick's struggles to come back from what look like relatively minor injuries are becoming a source of concern. He's a top-notch talent, but what does it matter if he can't stay on the field? The Angels will go with Maicer Izturis and Sean Rodriguez at second base for the next two weeks. Erick Aybar gets to act as the everyday shortstop.
soty
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics Expert

Postby JMoney » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:04 pm

you got your wish slow pitch :-t
JMoney
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Slow Pitch » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:07 pm

JMoney wrote:you got your wish slow pitch :-t

Yes I did. At least now I can pick someone up to play 2b this week, instead of praying for a miracle every night.

Hopefully he comes off ASAP in 9 days from now.
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates