Matt Kemp Splitting Time... (Merged) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Matt Kemp Splitting Time... (Merged)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Matt Kemp Splitting Time... (Merged)

Postby Dark Knight » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:45 pm

kaiser wrote:Okay, fair enough. I exaggerated. Let me rephrase...

Matt Kemp is the future. Juan Pierre is the past. Pierre is still a decent player, but beyond stolen bases, offers very little upside to the Dodgers, either in the short-term or in the long.

I agree with you, but Pierre is a veteran former MLB All-Star, and he is also making huge money, so I can see why he is getting so much playing time this season.
Dark Knight
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kaiser » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:54 pm

All I am saying is that, if the Dodgers want to put the best team on the field on any given day, the fact that Pierre is a former all-star and makes a lot of money should not weigh into the decision of whether or not to play him. I can show you lots of former all-stars who make a ton of money and are sitting on benches across the bigs right now, in favor of more talented youngsters whose skills are on the rise, rather than on the decline.

Anyway, I'm just pissed because I drafted Kemp to be my #3 OF, and now I'm going to have to bench him for the foreseeable futue, until someone in the Dodgers organization comes to their senses.

Thank you for tolerating my sour grapes.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 307)

Postby Dark Knight » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:58 pm

kaiser wrote:All I am saying is that, if the Dodgers want to put the best team on the field on any given day, the fact that Pierre is a former all-star and makes a lot of money should not weigh into the decision of whether or not to play him. I can show you lots of former all-stars who make a ton of money and are sitting on benches across the bigs right now, in favor of more talented youngsters whose skills are on the rise, rather than on the decline.

Anyway, I'm just pissed because I drafted Kemp to be my #3 OF, and now I'm going to have to bench him for the foreseeable futue, until someone in the Dodgers organization comes to their senses.

Thank you for tolerating my sour grapes.

I fell for you and your fantasy team. Look how much playing time Johnny Damon is getting this season, and he sucks worse then Pierre does. It's because Damon is making the big bucks, and is living off of his former All-Star reputation.
Dark Knight
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby cymbaline » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:02 pm

This is purely speculation, but I think the Dodgers are giving Pierre some play time over Kemp in an effort to showcase him for trade purposes. It is difficult to trade a guy when it's clear the initiating organization doesn't want to play him (ie thinks he sucks). There's no question that Kemp is a very talented player and I think that Torre prefers him over Juan but with Andruw in CF there are too many players and it's a waste to have 4 OF for 3 spots. A trade would seem inevitable.

For those who hate Pierre, there are very few players who have ever averaged 197 hits over a 7 year span. Such lofty hit totals are usually reserved only for HOFers, although few would ever suggest that Pierre belongs in a Cooperstown discussion. He's a lot better on paper than in reality due to high BA, low OBP, and ultra-low SA. The Dodgers should have realized this when they signed him and also that inking a deal for the low-BA underachieving Andruw would result in a very crowded situation. I wouldn't blame Torre but rather the LAD front office.

What sucks is that the Dodgers won't commit either way which kills the value of BOTH Pierre AND Kemp for roto purposes.
cymbaline
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby DbacksRback » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:47 pm

boo this kemp will hit things

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby kaiser » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:19 am

DbacksRback wrote:boo this kemp will hit things

Wha?
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:38 am

DbacksRback wrote:boo this kemp will hit things

i might have to put that in my sig
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby ROC AllStars » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:52 am

I think Kemp will be the starter for the bulk of the year. As soon as he starts hitting, Torre will keep him in. The only problem with this strategy, which makes me lose quite a bit of respect for Torre, is that Kemp CANT start hitting if he's not seeing pitches everyday. A player can't break out of a funk by pinch hitting every other day.

On Torre, remember that Fidel Castro could have managed the Yankees to almost as many wins as he did. With a limitless supply of money providing a nearly limitless supply of talent, anyone can be a competent major league manager. Its like Leo Mazzone. We hailed him as a genius for 15 years in Atlanta. But when you have Glavine, Maddux and Smoltz as your 1-2-3 guys, they're the real genius's, and your the guy sitting on the bench telling them what a great job they're doing.

OK, I'll get down off my soapbox now. Bottom line: Kemp will start in time. A few 0-5 spots out of Pierre will have him picking splinters out of his backside.
"This guy leads the league in most offensive categories, including nose hair..."
ROC AllStars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby kaiser » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:05 am

ROC AllStars wrote:I think Kemp will be the starter for the bulk of the year. As soon as he starts hitting, Torre will keep him in. The only problem with this strategy, which makes me lose quite a bit of respect for Torre, is that Kemp CANT start hitting if he's not seeing pitches everyday. A player can't break out of a funk by pinch hitting every other day.

My point exactly. Well said.

ROC AllStars wrote:IOn Torre, remember that Fidel Castro could have managed the Yankees to almost as many wins as he did. With a limitless supply of money providing a nearly limitless supply of talent, anyone can be a competent major league manager. Its like Leo Mazzone. We hailed him as a genius for 15 years in Atlanta. But when you have Glavine, Maddux and Smoltz as your 1-2-3 guys, they're the real genius's, and your the guy sitting on the bench telling them what a great job they're doing.

I can only agree partially with this. I think Torre is a great manager, in terms of how he handles his players (present situation excluded). i think this played a big role in the success of the Yankees during his time there. Regardless of the talent level, if you don't have the guy at the top steering the ship, chances are you'll still hit the rocks.

As for Mazzone, I agree that when you have guys like the Braves' "Young Guns" of the eraly nineties, it doesn't take a brain surgeon to make it work. But as I said with Torre, I would still argue that you have to have the right guy to bring it all together. Mazzone and Cox are those guys.

Man, I was wishing the Braves would rehire Mazonne this year. There would have been a nice symmetry to that, with Glavine coming back as well (and Javy Lopez, for that matter, before the Braves cut him in spring training.)
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby DbacksRback » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:10 am

I just read that kemp will be starting today if anyone is in a daily league and want to give him the nod

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates