Has Matt Cain not turned a corner with his walks? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Has Matt Cain not turned a corner with his walks?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Has Matt Cain not turned a corner with his walks?

Postby Grounded Polo » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:58 pm

Through 10 innings, he has already walked 9 batters. I loved that through 90 2007 post-ABS innings, he only walks 27 batters compared to 40 through 99 post-ASB innings in 2006. That difference really made his second half improvement stick out this time to me.

It's still obviously too early to panic and I only have Cain on one team that has a pretty strong staff but I just remember it basically boiling down to ignoring everything but the walks. The overall numbers still turned out nicely but last April, he gave up 5 more walks than hits and that was one of the clearest giveaways that he was going to get rocked hard like he did in May and then got hit even harder during July. I'm hoping to see more consistency because he can easily become a top ten starter. I drafted Dice K over him in my supplemental keeper draft after I threw Cain back and so far, it's looking like a good decision.

Hopefully Cain can turn his walks trend around so the draft keepers and trades forum won't get flooded with DROP MATT CAIN FOR GUILLERMO MOTA?!?!?!!? topics by summer. !+)
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Has Matt Cain not turned a corner with his walks?

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:35 pm

he was a bit wild today with his fastball, the announcers seemed to think it was something to do with his arm slot, he also wasnt getting any help from the ump who gave him nothing close... i'd wait a few more starts for him to get settled in before i started worrying too much
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 452)

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:38 pm

Was listening to the game on XM and was under the impression that he was getting squeezed on a few pitches.His last game which I saw, he got a couple of borderline pitches not go his way.Anyone out there see the game that can shed some light.
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby cordscords » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:09 pm

I only saw his first start, and it looked like he should have had some calls go his way. If I remember correctly 2 of his walks should have been strikeouts.

I cant comment on today, but I hear it was something similar to his first star. If he's not missing by a lot, I'm not too worried. He's throwing hard, has movement, and looks to be pounding close to the strike zone. Cain should be fine.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 20)

Postby Yoda » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:59 pm

I did hear that he was getting squeezed today but still, he's nibbling too much. He needs to trust his stuff and throw strikes even if it means giving up a few more hits/home runs. If he isn't pounding the strike zone then the umps won't give him the close calls. He's still very young so I'm hopeful that a switch will click on at some point and go on cruise control.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Pochucker » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:50 pm

Hes exhibiting the typical symptons of a pitcher on a bad offensive team --"Holy crap I cant give up any runs or ill lose" thus he nibbles.
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby The G.O.A.T. » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:02 pm

Pochucker wrote:Hes exhibiting the typical symptons of a pitcher on a bad offensive team --"Holy crap I cant give up any runs or ill lose" thus he nibbles.

Reminds me of Brandon Webb on that 04 DBacks team. So scared of letting the ball go into play because his team is likely to screw it up. Trying to strike everyone out and make that perfect pitch.
The G.O.A.T.
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Grounded Polo » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:40 pm

Pochucker wrote:Hes exhibiting the typical symptons of a pitcher on a bad offensive team --"Holy crap I cant give up any runs or ill lose" thus he nibbles.

Yeah, it wouldn't shock me if that were the problem. It's hard to pitch effectively when if you make one mistake, it could cost your team the win. He's too talented to let this problem continue for a third straight season. Hopefully he can right the ship in his next start.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby jsphlly » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:07 pm

What do you mean he's afraid to give up runs?! HE HAS BENGIE MOLINA!!! 8-o
jsphlly
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:40 pm

Cain is also notorious for starting out slow.

But he needs to establish his K zone early in the game. It doesn't help that he is nibbling and missing early. Then the ump has no choice but to not give him the benefit of the doubt throughout the game.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers