starter or reliever?

starter
69%
reliever
31%

Total votes : 42

Re: the great joba debate

Postby cobbs87 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:08 pm

Just to stir the pot a little...do you guys think Phil Hughes would be having the same level of success in the pen? I personally do. The ability to dial it up on every pitch enhances a reliever's performance. Pure stuff wise Joba is a little better, but I feel like most elite starting pitching prospects could achieve a high level of success in a setup role. Granted Joba does create the feeling of an x-factor and just carries himself with a veteran poise.
Last edited by cobbs87 on Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cobbs87
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:13 pm

cobbs87 wrote:Just to stir the pot a little...do you guys think Phil Hughes would be having the same level of success in the pen? I personally do. The ability to dial it up on every pitch enhances a reliever's performance. Pure stuff wise Joba is a little better, but I feel like most elite starting pitching prospects could achieve a high level of success in a setup role. Granted Joba does create the feel of an x-factor and just general poise.

Absolutely. I think Hughes would be dynamite out of the pen. His stuff might be a tick below Joba's but he has a bit better command.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Yoda » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:25 am

Well that didn't take long for Steinbrenner to reiterate that Joba should be in the rotation. :-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers