starter or reliever?

starter
69%
reliever
31%

Total votes : 42

the great joba debate

Postby Yoda » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:38 pm

So... what will it be for Joba this year? Starter or reliever?

I'm a big proponent of using a pitcher as a starter if you can. I believe that getting 200+ quality innings is probably much more important than 80 dominant innings. I feel as if he would be 'wasted' in the pen since he won't be closing. It was a big different for Papelbon and Mo since the 9th inning job was up for grabs. With Mo still occupying that spot, I don't see why you would keep Joba in the pen if he can be effective as a starter. Especially with the way the current rotation is, the Yanks might not even be a playoff team this year. The thought of seeing Wang, Hughes and Pettitte against the 1-2-3 of a playoff team is pretty scary. Stretch out Joba in June and convert him to a starter in the second half.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: the great joba debate

Postby J35J » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:41 pm

He absolutely should be in the rotation....thats just me though.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 363)

Postby Grounded Polo » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:43 pm

I don't believe in regulating ace ceiling starters to the bullpen on teams that have horrible pitching staffs. If he were on Cleveland, having him close could make more sense but really, the Yankees ace is Chien Ming Wang and the closer is Mo Rivera, 'nuff said.

Either way, Joba won't start a single game this season.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:46 pm

I want to see him in the rotation. If he can translate his success in the bullpen to the starting rotation, then he'll be of MUCH greater value to the Yankees. I think the Yankees need to stretch him out in June and let him start for the rest of the year. I doubt they will, though. The Yankee bullpen is terrible beyond Mariano and Joba. The Yankees are going to realize that, and not jeopardize their playoff chances by taking him out of the 'pen at mid-year.

Hopefully even if he does remain in the bullpen this year, they will make an effort to acquire some solid middle-relievers in the offseason, and put him in the rotation next year. I will be extremely angry if they never give him the opportunity to pitch in the rotation.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:50 pm

I was reading an article in yesterday's paper where the Yanks want to have Joba follow the same route as Johan and Chad Billingsley did.I don't disagree with this concept but here lies the problem.Say Pettitte and Wang pitch decent and Hughes and Kennedy are coming along, Yanks are in contention,Joba is dominating and everyone in the bullpen not named Mo or Joba is not getting it done(I'm talking to you Farnsworth and Hawkins!!!) then what?

IMO,I think for this season,despite what might be said, Joba stays in the bullpen and when Mussina finally leaves after this season Joba will slot in his spot.
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BigTex24 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:55 pm

The Yankees don't exactly have the greatest bullpen though..
BigTex24
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Yoda » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:57 pm

StarsNPinstripes wrote:I was reading an article in yesterday's paper where the Yanks want to have Joba follow the same route as Johan and Chad Billingsley did.I don't disagree with this concept but here lies the problem.Say Pettitte and Wang pitch decent and Hughes and Kennedy are coming along, Yanks are in contention,Joba is dominating and everyone in the bullpen not named Mo or Joba is not getting it done(I'm talking to you Farnsworth and Hawkins!!!) then what?

IMO,I think for this season,despite what might be said, Joba stays in the bullpen and when Mussina finally leaves after this season Joba will slot in his spot.

I'd be shocked if the top 4 remain intact. Pettitte and Hughes are injury risks, Kennedy is a soft tosser and Wang is... well Wang. He is not an ace unless he further develops his secondary offerings.

That being said, if half of the rotation fails, then their season will be lost anyway so why not use this year as an opportunity to see what Joba can do? I actually like the idea of switching Kennedy into Joba's role when this happens. I think Kennedy can be a much more effective reliever and transitioning into a set up role shouldn't be that hard.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:00 pm

Yoda wrote:
That being said, if half of the rotation fails, then their season will be lost anyway so why not use this year as an opportunity to see what Joba can do? I actually like the idea of switching Kennedy into Joba's role when this happens. I think Kennedy can be a much more effective reliever and transitioning into a set up role shouldn't be that hard.

The Yankees don't think like this. They had something like 13 different starters last year. In 2005, they scrambled for guys like Aaron Small, Tim Redding, Darrell May, Shawn Chacon, Hideo Nomo, Al Leiter, etc.

The Yankees won't ever concede defeat, even if Moose, Pettitte and Hughes go down.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby mweir145 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:05 pm

He's going to be in relief all season.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby mweir145 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:06 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
Yoda wrote:

The Yankees don't think like this. They had something like 13 different starters last year. In 2005, they scrambled for guys like Aaron Small, Tim Redding, Darrell May, Shawn Chacon, Hideo Nomo, Al Leiter, etc.

The Yankees won't ever concede defeat, even if Moose, Pettitte and Hughes go down.

Agreed, the Yankees will be in it down the stretch. It really doesn't matter at all what their roster looks like right now because they'll change it if struggles.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers