To clarify some things... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

To clarify some things...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

To clarify some things...

Postby intense » Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:10 pm

Just some rambles around random things in my fantasy notes that I need clarified and such, feel free to post any comments on here reguarding what I posted, Im just trying to boost my knowledge and want to hear what you guys think.

OF

How many of you will take a risk on bonds? Or will you just let the idiot who drafts by 'name' grab him in the first round? Giles seems to be ranked pretty low, when would be a good round to grab him in? Cabrera seems to be a great late round pick. What about Milton Bradley, is he worth it for a late round pick too?

Catchers

Who is this victor martinez guy? I saw him in one of the rankings sites really high (rotoguys.com I think), but hes ranked like 700 on yahoo?
Is I-Rod the best steal as far as catchers go? Ranked like 122 or so with yahoo, what round would you guys try to grab him in?

Pitchers
Prior,Schilling,Pedro, Halladay,Vasquez seems to be the way people are ranking the pitchers now a days... for steals I have beckett listed with his 100+ ranking on yahoo, also Eric Milton, Isringhausen, Kip Wells and Edwin Jackson seem to be good late guys to grab.

1b
Pujos and Helton are obvious 1-2 at 1b, but whos 3? When do you draft a guy like Delgado or Thome? What round? Also, what about waiting a bit to draft a guy like Nevin or Sweeny, they seem to be steals this year in the later rounds. I think Sweeny will have a huge year.

Closers
Gagne, Wagner, Smoltz,Rivera, Foulke seem to be the top guys as far as closers go, but when do you pull the trigger to grab them over a good hitter?
Who are the steals besides Dotel and Isringhausen based on yahoo rankings?

3B
Chavez seems to be the top guy here. Is it best just to wait and grab a guy like Blaylock a bit later on? Or Teixeira? Hows Hinske going to do? Cintron seems to be a good late 3b pick as well as Hinske.

2B
Soriano,Boone,Kent seem to be the top 3, but a big gap in between them... Whos next? Vidro? then who? How good is Hairson Jr, and is he worth a late round pick?

SS
Arod, Nomar, Tejada, Renteria seem to be top guys, whos next? Furcal? Renteria really looks appealing if he can fall into the 3rd-4th round or so. How good is this Reyes guy...? When will people be drafting him?
intense
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: To clarify some things...

Postby TheRock » Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:35 pm

Lots of questions in there, I'll field a few...

intense wrote:OF

How many of you will take a risk on bonds? Or will you just let the idiot who drafts by 'name' grab him in the first round? Giles seems to be ranked pretty low, when would be a good round to grab him in? Cabrera seems to be a great late round pick. What about Milton Bradley, is he worth it for a late round pick too?

I think Bonds is still worth a late first round/early second round pick. He'll kill the ball, only question is how many games he'll miss. I like Giles to finish well in the top 10 at OF.

intense wrote:Catchers

Who is this victor martinez guy? I saw him in one of the rankings sites really high (rotoguys.com I think), but hes ranked like 700 on yahoo?
Is I-Rod the best steal as far as catchers go? Ranked like 122 or so with yahoo, what round would you guys try to grab him in?

Victor Martinez may be the next Pudge/Piazza/Posada. His minor league numbers are incredible but he didn't fully make the adjustment to the bigs last season. Called up in September I believe... Opinions vary greatly on Pudge. Yes, he's Pudge. But he plays for the Tigers. I'd take him if he was there in the 5th maybe 6th, but he'll likely go earlier.

Oh, and Yahoo numbers are absolute crap. Don't waste even a moment of your life looking at them except perhaps to mock them.

intense wrote:Pitchers
Prior,Schilling,Pedro, Halladay,Vasquez seems to be the way people are ranking the pitchers now a days... for steals I have beckett listed with his 100+ ranking on yahoo, also Eric Milton, Isringhausen, Kip Wells and Edwin Jackson seem to be good late guys to grab.

Predicting pitching is notoriously hard to do. Last year everybody had Johnson #1 with Oswalt and Zito rounding out the top 5 or 6. On the other hand, you need a top starter or two to anchor your staff. Try to get the best you can, but don't neglect your hitting early in the draft.

Again with Yahoo rankings sucking. I don't like Milton, Wells might be worth a look, Edwin too if he cracks the rotation.

intense wrote:1b
Pujos and Helton are obvious 1-2 at 1b, but whos 3? When do you draft a guy like Delgado or Thome? What round? Also, what about waiting a bit to draft a guy like Nevin or Sweeny, they seem to be steals this year in the later rounds. I think Sweeny will have a huge year.

No consensus #3. Could be Delgado, Thome, Sexson, or even a bouncing back Giambi. I agree, Sweeney will be a steal.

intense wrote:Closers
Gagne, Wagner, Smoltz,Rivera, Foulke seem to be the top guys as far as closers go, but when do you pull the trigger to grab them over a good hitter?
Who are the steals besides Dotel and Isringhausen based on yahoo rankings?

See some mock drafts or the live results on ESPN. Haven't looked at Yahoo's rankings but if they missed Dotel I bet they also missed Rhodes.

intense wrote:3B
Chavez seems to be the top guy here. Is it best just to wait and grab a guy like Blaylock a bit later on? Or Teixeira? Hows Hinske going to do? Cintron seems to be a good late 3b pick as well as Hinske.

What's best is entirely up to you. That's why we play the game. I personally have Rolen #1 with Chavez right behind. I think Blalock will be a better value pick and I think his numbers will be right up with the other two.

intense wrote:2B
Soriano,Boone,Kent seem to be the top 3, but a big gap in between them... Whos next? Vidro? then who? How good is Hairson Jr, and is he worth a late round pick?

There was a thread last week where everybody chipped in their top 10 at each position. 2B was a mess after the top 3. I see a big gap after these 3.

intense wrote:SS
Arod, Nomar, Tejada, Renteria seem to be top guys, whos next? Furcal? Renteria really looks appealing if he can fall into the 3rd-4th round or so. How good is this Reyes guy...? When will people be drafting him?

Well next is Jeter then guys like Furcal, Matsui, Reyes, Cabrera. I'd recommend gettin AROd if you can manage it. ;-)
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Baseball Leftovers