Dana Eveland - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dana Eveland

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Dana Eveland

Postby duckbillgates » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:59 pm

Second really great start. 6 1/3 IP, 3 H, 3 BB, 6K, O ER.

What do we think, Cafe?
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."
— Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CBMGreatOne » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:08 am

Good park, will probably be good at home at least. Still just a wait and see guy in 12 team mixed leagues in my mind, unless you are hurting.

And yes fellas, I am in 2 standard Yahoo leagues, and in one, Eveland appears in the player pool--- but he does not in the other. One more start and he will magically appear in your leagues, once he gains SP eligibility. This is an argument for always having at least one "P" spot.

A good spot starting option for now, possible roster material if he continues to dominate.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby WittyC » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:34 am

CBMGreatOne wrote:Good park, will probably be good at home at least. Still just a wait and see guy in 12 team mixed leagues in my mind, unless you are hurting.

And yes fellas, I am in 2 standard Yahoo leagues, and in one, Eveland appears in the player pool--- but he does not in the other. One more start and he will magically appear in your leagues, once he gains SP eligibility. This is an argument for always having at least one "P" spot.

A good spot starting option for now, possible roster material if he continues to dominate.

While those three walks today concern me a touch, I think this guy is a must-add in standard 12-team mixed formats. He keeps the ball in the park, strikes out about a hitter an inning and pitches in Oakland. I'd grab him in almost any format -- if he's still available. I'm sure he won't be for long. :-o

There's no reason he can't reach 10/165/3.75/1.20 if he throws 180 innings.
Is there anything fluffier than a cloud?
If there is, I don't want to know about it.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby CBMGreatOne » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:43 am

I don't know. A lot of 12 team leagues feature teams that are quite deep at pitcher. If your #6 starter is someone like Manny Parra or Johnny Cueto, chances are you don't have anyone to drop for Eveland.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:38 am

with the depth at SP this year I don't think Eveland is quite as valuable. Eveland definitely has the stuff to be a David Wells type pitcher. Good breaking pitches(slider, curve) with an average fastball(88-91) that sometimes(but rarely) goes up to 94-95. His minor league bb/9 doesn't look horrible but then again when he pitched in the majors he just looks scared and try to paint corners, which he really can't do with his control. What he has tried this year might make him successful, which is just throw strikes and rely on his stuff. From what I've seen, Kurt Suzuki calls a damn good game and if Dana just throw strikes, works fast, he has a chance to be decent. No high expectations but 8W(come on, it's Oakland) 4.10ERA 1.30WHIP and about 150k is definitely achievable.

He was, along with James Shields, my big acquisition in my 28 teams league(where 4.1ERA and 1.3WHIP with good K are plenty useful) last year, Shields paid off great. And I'm not at all giving up on Eveland, he needs sometime to refine his game and I no longer think he's ever going to be more than a two(three is more realistic at this point). It's going to take some time and with his history, I wouldn't be surprised by a couple of completely disastrous starts a year(we are talking Dewon Brazelton level), but he can be very good at times.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby cdrift24 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:02 pm

I am close to completing a trade in my 16 team keeper mixed league. Sending away Carlos Silva and getting Eugenio Velez. So I picked up Dana Eveland to replace Silva. I think I got the better end of everything in that deal. I like his stuff and he pitches in a good park. There isn't much for starting pitching out there with 16 teams and a minimum of 5 starters on each team, so I think Eveland could pay great benefits for my team to go along with Velez's speed......(by the end of the year he'll be everyday)
cdrift24
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby RocketsDWM » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:28 pm

Since some people have a hard time reading before posting:

HIS CURRENT POSITION IN YAHOO IS P, NOT SP. NEED THREE STARTS TO BECOME SP.

That should do it.
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:16 pm

CBMGreatOne wrote:I don't know. A lot of 12 team leagues feature teams that are quite deep at pitcher. If your #6 starter is someone like Manny Parra or Johnny Cueto, chances are you don't have anyone to drop for Eveland.

if thats the case than those teams probably have no hitting to compete for the title IMO
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jake_harv88 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:25 pm

Syfo-Dyas wrote:
CBMGreatOne wrote:I don't know. A lot of 12 team leagues feature teams that are quite deep at pitcher. If your #6 starter is someone like Manny Parra or Johnny Cueto, chances are you don't have anyone to drop for Eveland.

if thats the case than those teams probably have no hitting to compete for the title IMO

Not to go off on a tangent, but its not fair to assume that because you nasty pitching you have bad offense...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby chipper » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:29 pm

jake_harv88 wrote:
Syfo-Dyas wrote:

Not to go off on a tangent, but its not fair to assume that because you nasty pitching you have bad offense...

Exactly.
Besides, using guys like Parra or Cueto as examples doesn't work. Cueto was a waiver add, and Parra wasn't thought to be a starting option early on, so I'd say you could very easily have a great offense and have a Parra or Cueto as your 6th SP.
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers