Draft Day - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Draft Day

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Draft Day

Postby Leiter Fan » Sun Feb 22, 2004 7:30 pm

I have a question for you guys...

I'm running a 12 team, h2h league - first time as commissioner. In past leagues I have been in, draft day has been pretty late in spring training (like a week before Opening Day). In this league, I decided to opt for an early draft date, before spring training starts. I think it adds a little to the game, since you now have incentive to actually watch spring training games and track the progress of players on your roster - and then make moves accordingly if necessary. The draft date is set for this coming Wednesday, 2/25 at 9 pm (the day after players are required to report).

One of my friends has a problem with this. He would like a much later draft day, because he feels that it is too tough to do research on players when spring training hasn't started yet (whereas I think last years stats count a lot more than spring training anyway). He also is concerned about the possibility of a first round pick getting injured in spring training.

I was just wondering what opinions you guys have on this.
"One of the teams represents truth, justice, the American way, and underdogs everywhere. The other represents George Steinbrenner!" - U.S. News and World Reports columnist John Leo on the difference between the Mets and the Yankees.
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby reelbiggecko » Sun Feb 22, 2004 7:34 pm

First of all, spring training stats are absolutely meaningless. The only good they do is to tell if a young gunwithout MLB exposure (think Crosby) can actually hit. Even then, it's misleading.

Your friend does have a point about stars getting injured in spring training, but that's just part of the game. I'm in a keeper league, and I lost Phil Nevin, one of my top picks, out for the season the first year of the league (2002). I say, take a vote, and let the majority decide.
reelbiggecko
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Arlo » Sun Feb 22, 2004 7:36 pm

Normally, I don't really have a preference. All owners are on the same footing no matter when the draft is held. This year, I prefer late drafts; it would be nice to have the final word on Bonds' availability officially spoken before the draft.

Just my opinion, of course.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mtarail » Sun Feb 22, 2004 7:37 pm

The only reason I think carries any weight against early drafts is that you won't get confirmation that players that finished the year hurting (Kearns, Mulder, Oswalt, Pedro, Schmidt etc.) are 100% before the draft.

Thats's true, but then again, so what? Nobody is gonna be playing that hard in spring training anyway and a good spring training for a player is at best only moderately indicative of a good regular season.

So I think you should do the draft early, enjoy watching "your" players a spring training--and if people are concerned about injuries then they should consider that when deciding where to draft the injured player.
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DieHardCubbie » Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:12 pm

It really doesn't matter to me...before or during ST...either way....I reall can't see an advantage to one or the other....Like Arlo said...all people a drafting on the same footing....and an injury can happen just as easily on the first day of the season...and it can in ST...So like gecko said....let the league vote....and enjoy spring training either way.... :-)
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby ramble2 » Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:24 pm

I don't think it matters too much. As has been stated, everyone is drafting with the same information available. Advantage will go to those who are more patient, as those who are antsy will be more likely to drop established players for spring training stars.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Return to Baseball Leftovers