Rick Ankiel - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rick Ankiel

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rick Ankiel

Postby dorje3 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:25 pm

In 2007, between AAA and the majors, Ankiel registered the kind of power numbers that warrant or dignify pojections for gaudy future returns.
Yet he seems to be relatively uncoveted in standard Yahoo! leagues, and I haven't heard a lot of buzz about him here in the cafe.
His K rate is mildy alarming, but what's not to like?
dorje3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rick Ankiel

Postby AmazinYanks1990 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:27 pm

I wonder the same thing. If he wasn't mentioned as a user of HGH, could things right now possibly be different? Would there maybe be more hype behind him?
AmazinYanks1990
College Coach
College Coach

Postby JTWood » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:52 pm

I haven't had a chance to really watch him hit this year, but if you watch footage of him last year, it's apparent that he has a very poor conception of the strike zone. He is indeed a masher, but I don't doubt that he will have prolonged streaks where's he's missing the ball, too.

Of course, it is also worth noting that he bats in front of Albert. If Albert goes down, expect Ankiel's numbers to drop as well.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby kcs261 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:19 pm

I was one of the biggest Ankiel bashers. I never liked the guy. And I thought it was a joke when he moved to the outfied. So, as much as I hate to say it, the guy has a sweet swing. I really think the guy is legit and is a guy to grab. I live in STL and have watched these games, and he has an easy and fluid swing where he strokes the ball deep with what appears to be minimal effort. The best part is that he is killing left-handed pitching as a lefty hitter. That'll keep him in the lineup every day. I think it's a mistake to underestimate him and would easily recommend putting him in your final outfield spot.
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RAmst23 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:56 am

JTWood wrote:I haven't had a chance to really watch him hit this year, but if you watch footage of him last year, it's apparent that he has a very poor conception of the strike zone. He is indeed a masher, but I don't doubt that he will have prolonged streaks where's he's missing the ball, too.

Of course, it is also worth noting that he bats in front of Albert. If Albert goes down, expect Ankiel's numbers to drop as well.

He seems to understand the strike zone better this year, and is hitting off speed pitches well.

One thing you need to know about Ankiel is his ridiculous work ethic. This guy worked himself into being a solid defensive CF, and the ability to hit at the big league level. A .270/25/80/80/10 is possible from Ankiel as long as he gets a full season worth of ABs and avoids injuries.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby moochman » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:22 am

As it stands right now, Ankiel will have to play himself out of my line up.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BigTex24 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:36 am

So far, Ankiel is winning the Ankiel vs Hamilton debate.

I'm sure it helps that Poo Holes is batting behind him.
BigTex24
College Coach
College Coach

Postby dorje3 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:04 am

It will be interesting to see how the next week and a half treats Ankiel as the cardinals embark on a seven game road trip. I don't know about his minor league splits, but Ankiel batted .319 w/ 9 HR, and 33 RBI at home last year, while managing only 2 HR, 6 RBI and a .244 AVG on the road...

Sometimes this can be a fantasy blessing, albeit a stressful one. The Ervin Santana effect. But how valuable could Ankiel be if he generated a season's worth of power in half the at-bats (start him at home)?
That said, I think that Ankiels home/road splits should even out as he gains confidence. He's always been a bit of a head-case, tho. :-o
dorje3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:10 am

Wow thanks for bringing that to my attention, I didn't realize his home/road stats were so different. For his career...

Home - .290 13HR 43RBI in 162 AB's

Away - .224 with 2HR and 9RBI in 116 AB's
FantasyFreak
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:27 am

the OG Natural...i tried getting him in drafts this year but got caught waiting too long. looks like he's a lock for 30hrs. :~(
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers