Time to blow up your team? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Time to blow up your team?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Time to blow up your team?

Postby AKhomebrewer » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:39 am

You should only "blow up" your team the second week of April if it is clearly apparent your draft was a horrible mistake. But if you've collected a group of guys with proven records/upside who happen to simultaneously be stinkin' it up out of the gate (I've been playing long enough that I've had a turn being that poor sap), you've got to ride it out while following the advice above to be very aware of waivers, FA and your league-mates' activities.
Just be selective with your drops. OF5 and SP6 types were made for roster improvements, but you don't want to be kicking Berkmans and Bedards to the curb.
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:00 am

Madison wrote:
freeling_prideful wrote:The standard argument is not to try too hard until about a month into the season. That being said, if you can see a clear and identifiable problem with your roster then you need to fix it. For instance, after the draft did you realize that you had missed out on speed guys and filled MI slots with guys like Robinson Cano and Troy Tulowitzki, who only give you power? Did you start drafting SP too early or too late, making you weak in certain areas?

If so, then you could make a trade or two to rectify an obvious imbalance (like, if your whole team stole less than 100 bases last year, then you need help in the speed dept.). Otherwise just sit tight.

Nice post. ;-D

I'll add to that to pay attention to the free agent pool and your waiver wire. If someone freaks out and cuts bait that shouldn't, scoop that player up. Always be aware of what all is going on. ;-D

Yeah always pick through the adds/drops with a fine tooth comb. There is normally something to look at, someone usually makes a mistake every so often. I think if you have to majorly blow up a smaller league team, then you haven't drafted very well.

I blew up a deep dynasty league team through trades this year and think it's gone pretty well.
Has anyone else on here actually blown up a team recently?
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 16)

Postby High Heater » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:25 am

AussieDodger wrote:
Madison wrote:
freeling_prideful wrote:The standard argument is not to try too hard until about a month into the season. That being said, if you can see a clear and identifiable problem with your roster then you need to fix it. For instance, after the draft did you realize that you had missed out on speed guys and filled MI slots with guys like Robinson Cano and Troy Tulowitzki, who only give you power? Did you start drafting SP too early or too late, making you weak in certain areas?

If so, then you could make a trade or two to rectify an obvious imbalance (like, if your whole team stole less than 100 bases last year, then you need help in the speed dept.). Otherwise just sit tight.

Nice post. ;-D

I'll add to that to pay attention to the free agent pool and your waiver wire. If someone freaks out and cuts bait that shouldn't, scoop that player up. Always be aware of what all is going on. ;-D

Yeah always pick through the adds/drops with a fine tooth comb. There is normally something to look at, someone usually makes a mistake every so often. I think if you have to majorly blow up a smaller league team, then you haven't drafted very well.

I blew up a deep dynasty league team through trades this year and think it's gone pretty well.
Has anyone else on here actually blown up a team recently?

i have 2 years ago finishing 12th out of 14th (took hughes with that high pick in prospect draft) needless to say 2 years later i finished 4th and look to sneak atleast into the top 3 this year with a chance to take it after having prospects like fielder, martin, verlander, zimmerman, drew?(maybe this year) JUpton(maybe this year) ect pan out to some degree.

you have to go into a dynasty league with an eye set for atleast 3 years. i happened to get alot of my core age so i tore mine down and restart. 2 years time with alot of studying and it's what it is today. ;-D
High Heater
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby ha_jai » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:59 pm

Like I mentioned before, I think I drafted pretty well with the exception of SP, have Vazquez, Billingsley, Maine, Oswalt, and Smoltz. Obviously, those guys with the exception of Smoltz had a bad first outing so far. Too bad for me, Smoltz was on my bench Sunday (weekly lineup changes and I didn't think he would pitch first week). Been keeping an eye out on the WW and I did pick up Pedro (stashed him on the DL). Hope that will help somewhat.

Wanted to thank everyone for the great advice. Seems the general consensus is to wait and let the slumps ride out ... after all, M-Cab can't hit .125 for the entire year! Good luck to everyone in your respective leagues.
ha_jai
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Russell James » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:29 pm

"Blowing" up my team is a little overblown, but I do trade..alot. I am a big sell high/buy low guy.

As of right now I am shopping Justin Upton, Volquez, Cueto and Butler in multiple leagues to see what I can get for them. Upton and Cueto are extremely hot right now and if they perform well for another week I may be able to land a stud for one of these guys.

I am all about trading aggressively, not recklessly. I will only trade these guys if I believe that someone is overpricing them. Right now I think Upton and Cueto is overpriced.

I always shop my players because you never know how someone values a player. 90% of the time owners send me turd sandwiches for my studs which I quickly reject. But many times I will get at least one offer that is a good trade for both of us or I will get a ridiculous offer where a guy is just overvaluing one of my players.

Example: I have Upton in 4 leagues and in 1 of them some retard offered me Corey Hart. I about poo'ed myself when I saw that offer. I couldn't hit the accept button fast enough. In about a month that guy is going to regret that trade. I think Corey Hart is going to be a 30/30 guy easy and he plays for a better offense.
Russell James
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby soxfan364 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:41 pm

It's tough but you have to be patient - my 5x5 roto team has a .199 batting avg after the 1st week. But am I going to give up David Ortiz (.115), Jim Thome (.167 but 2 Hr's opening day!), Orlando Cabrera (.174) or Brad Hawpe (.211) yet? I'm tempted, but NO!
soxfan364
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)

Postby BigMusky » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:20 pm

This offensive group is getting killed so far....I have faith though

C-Johjima
1b-Pujols
2b-Upton
3b-Wright