Time to blow up your team? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Time to blow up your team?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Time to blow up your team?

Postby ha_jai » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:10 pm

Hello there,

Just wondering how far into the season you will wait before pulling trades and basically blowing up your whole team? I always wait until at least the 25% mark before evaluating the weakness of my team. But I migh have to revise my thinking this year. I know it is still extremely early but I am getting a wee bit concern about my place in the standing. Standard Roto 5x5 10 team settings. I am nearly dead last in every single category with the exception of SV. Presently 50 points behind the leader and 15 points out from the 9th place team. I am trying not to over react yet but when is it time to try something drastic? Thanks!
ha_jai
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Time to blow up your team?

Postby freeling_prideful » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:20 pm

The standard argument is not to try too hard until about a month into the season. That being said, if you can see a clear and identifiable problem with your roster then you need to fix it. For instance, after the draft did you realize that you had missed out on speed guys and filled MI slots with guys like Robinson Cano and Troy Tulowitzki, who only give you power? Did you start drafting SP too early or too late, making you weak in certain areas?

If so, then you could make a trade or two to rectify an obvious imbalance (like, if your whole team stole less than 100 bases last year, then you need help in the speed dept.). Otherwise just sit tight.
freeling_prideful
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ha_jai » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:32 pm

Thanks for the advice. No identifiable weakness that I can see yet. Just a lot of underperforming players. I drafted for balance and was actually pretty pleased with how the draft went. Guess you just never know sometimes ...
ha_jai
College Coach
College Coach

Postby tmlfan4ever » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:39 pm

I think you need about 150 ABs before you can begin to speculate about a hitter's season and at least 5 or 6 starts for a pitcher. Even still, this would be a small sample size, but at least you begin to draw some conclusions about your team. Do you have enough speed? Power? Saves? etc.

Never "blow up" your team. Instead, deal from strengths to address weaknesses. Be relentless on the waiver wire and always be open to trades.
tmlfan4ever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby JMB05 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:44 pm

tmlfan4ever wrote:I think you need about 150 ABs before you can begin to speculate about a hitter's season and at least 5 or 6 starts for a pitcher. Even still, this would be a small sample size, but at least you begin to draw some conclusions about your team. Do you have enough speed? Power? Saves? etc.

Never "blow up" your team. Instead, deal from strengths to address weaknesses. Be relentless on the waiver wire and always be open to trades.

What a great piece of advice ;-D A lot of the posts in these forums are trash but every once in awhile you stumble on some well written one, such as this.
JMB05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 15)

Postby JTWood » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:48 pm

JMB05 wrote:A lot of the posts in these forums are trash but every once in awhile you stumble on some well written one, such as this.

Hmm... Wondering why you think "a lot" of the posts here are worthless.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby RAmst23 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:58 am

Well it never hurts to work the market and try to make a beneficial trade. I've already made a trade this year that I was very happy with. Just don't offer or make trades based on a hot start, keep to your projections and try to upgrade if possible.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby moochman » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:14 am

JMB05 wrote:
tmlfan4ever wrote:I think you need about 150 ABs before you can begin to speculate about a hitter's season and at least 5 or 6 starts for a pitcher. Even still, this would be a small sample size, but at least you begin to draw some conclusions about your team. Do you have enough speed? Power? Saves? etc.

What a great piece of advice ;-D A lot of the posts in these forums are trash but every once in awhile you stumble on some well written one, such as this.

Good advice if you start okay, but a touch contradictory. How can you be relentless on the WW if you are waiting for 150 ABs and 4-5 starts? You have already missed out on All Hail Cueto, McLovin McClouth and whatever gems that were overlooked on draft day. Chances are that if weaknesses jump right out at you in week one that they are real and should be addressed. You don't have to blow up the team, patience is great, but don't just sleep on early season moves either.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Madison » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:21 am

freeling_prideful wrote:The standard argument is not to try too hard until about a month into the season. That being said, if you can see a clear and identifiable problem with your roster then you need to fix it. For instance, after the draft did you realize that you had missed out on speed guys and filled MI slots with guys like Robinson Cano and Troy Tulowitzki, who only give you power? Did you start drafting SP too early or too late, making you weak in certain areas?

If so, then you could make a trade or two to rectify an obvious imbalance (like, if your whole team stole less than 100 bases last year, then you need help in the speed dept.). Otherwise just sit tight.

Nice post. ;-D

I'll add to that to pay attention to the free agent pool and your waiver wire. If someone freaks out and cuts bait that shouldn't, scoop that player up. Always be aware of what all is going on. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby jcde7ago » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:36 am

The only team i am willing to blow up this early in the season is my hometown fav., the offensively decrepid San Francisco Giants.

"Top Batters"

:-° :~( :-L
12-Team Yahoo! H2H Keeper League - 3-Sport Dynasty - Year 4 - Jonny D's Team
Keepers: Albert Pujols/Jose Reyes/Ryan Braun/Grady Sizemore/Evan Longoria/Tim Lincecum = SWEET!

#25 - Barry Bonds - 73, 762
jcde7ago
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers