Clayton Kershaw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Clayton Kershaw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Clayton Kershaw

Postby shoelessjoetara » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:30 pm

Anyone have anyidea when he may be called upon ? I would love to pick him up before anyone realizes he may be called up. Are we looking at a September callup or earlier?
shoelessjoetara Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Clayton Kershaw

Postby ILLmjdINI » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:53 pm

I've heard he'll probably get the call later in the season, and when he does it will be as a reliever a la Joba Chamberlain in New York.
ILLmjdINI
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AKhomebrewer » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:02 am

It's usually a scenario-based decision.
i.e., if the Dodgers suffer key rotation injuries early in the season, there's a good chance he's up by May. If the Dodgers' staff and bullpen sails through the year flawlessly and the team is running ahead in the standings, then he has little hope before September.
The actual reality, of course, will probably fall between those extremes. Just keep an eye out. Even if he gets called up for middle relief, he'll be worth a pickup in keeper/deep leagues for the peripherals and the next-in-line status that job often confers.
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:26 pm

Pay attention to what happens to the #5 spot currently occupied by Esteban Loaiza and a spot that Chan Ho Park, presently a long reliever, could reprise should Loaiza continue to struggle. Loaiza had a relatively suspect outing, which is something to keep in mind, as his velocity really is at a far cry from his Cy Young campaign a few years ago and continues to get behind hitters.

If the Loaiza/Park battery isn't quite working up to scratch by June, I think this is the earliest we'll see Kershaw. Supposedly, Kershaw is working more innings in relief in preparation for a promotion and so as not to wear out his arm so quickly. Whatever happens, I believe the likelihood is that Kershaw is a mid-season promotion and should be called up at latest, September.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby siQ_innovation » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:52 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:Pay attention to what happens to the #5 spot currently occupied by Esteban Loaiza and a spot that Chan Ho Park, presently a long reliever, could reprise should Loaiza continue to struggle. Loaiza had a relatively suspect outing, which is something to keep in mind, as his velocity really is at a far cry from his Cy Young campaign a few years ago and continues to get behind hitters.

If the Loaiza/Park battery isn't quite working up to scratch by June, I think this is the earliest we'll see Kershaw. Supposedly, Kershaw is working more innings in relief in preparation for a promotion and so as not to wear out his arm so quickly. Whatever happens, I believe the likelihood is that Kershaw is a mid-season promotion and should be called up at latest, September.

Yeah, i'm feelin the same thing as him but I need to add one thing. I'm a fan of Billingsly, but if he keeps this kind of crap going, he's gonna need to hit the `pen and Torre's gonna need to give Kershaw the nod. ;-D

Props to RyanK for the Sig.
siQ_innovation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Montana168 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:17 pm

i doubt billingsley will go back to the pen. his main reasons for not pitching effectively last night were that he couldn't get in a groove and he wasn't relaxed so he had absolutely zero control and wasn't throwing effective strikes. i think most of the comes from torre's misuse of the young pitcher. he let him throw an inning in miserable weather, then brings him back to throw 2 IP out of the pen, then he pushes his start back a day...no wonder the kid was unconfortable. i think he will rebound on next start because he will be much more confortable. or i could just be saying all of this as a billingsley owner. :-o

regarding kershaw....i think he will be up most likely around june/post-all star break. i can't really see him coming up any earlier unless a starter gets injured or saito/broxton gets injured. torre has said that if saito can't go they wound bring kershaw up and use him much like chamberlain in NY, and have broxton as the closer. ultimately i think he will come up post-all star and take loiaza's #5 spot in the rotation. however, if loiaza somehow becomes effective we could not see kershaw until september. i would moniter the #5 spot but don't obsess over it right now because it most likely won't come for another couple months till we start hearing rumors.
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:40 pm

Montana168 wrote:i doubt billingsley will go back to the pen. his main reasons for not pitching effectively last night were that he couldn't get in a groove and he wasn't relaxed so he had absolutely zero control and wasn't throwing effective strikes. i think most of the comes from torre's misuse of the young pitcher. he let him throw an inning in miserable weather, then brings him back to throw 2 IP out of the pen, then he pushes his start back a day...no wonder the kid was unconfortable. i think he will rebound on next start because he will be much more confortable. or i could just be saying all of this as a billingsley owner. :-o

No matter what happens, Billingsley is virtually a lock in the rotation. Torre likes having Chan Ho Park and Hong Chih Kuo as long relievers to sub in for Loaiza should he falter.

Montana168 wrote:regarding kershaw....i think he will be up most likely around june/post-all star break. i can't really see him coming up any earlier unless a starter gets injured or saito/broxton gets injured. torre has said that if saito can't go they wound bring kershaw up and use him much like chamberlain in NY, and have broxton as the closer. ultimately i think he will come up post-all star and take loiaza's #5 spot in the rotation. however, if loiaza somehow becomes effective we could not see kershaw until september. i would moniter the #5 spot but don't obsess over it right now because it most likely won't come for another couple months till we start hearing rumors.

Kershaw could get the Joba treatment just to break him in without taxing his arm, but assuming Saito's fine and closing, we'll have an excess of MR's. Joe Beimel is our situational 7th inning guy as well as Scott Proctor and Troncoso who's been filling in where Jonathan Meloan would've been. With Kershaw getting more relief work in the minors, it's a good sign that Kershaw could crack the rotation right away. The thought of a Kershaw-Broxton-Saito 7-8-9 combo would be mighty filthy though.

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Slow Pitch » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:10 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
Montana168 wrote:i doubt billingsley will go back to the pen. his main reasons for not pitching effectively last night were that he couldn't get in a groove and he wasn't relaxed so he had absolutely zero control and wasn't throwing effective strikes. i think most of the comes from torre's misuse of the young pitcher. he let him throw an inning in miserable weather, then brings him back to throw 2 IP out of the pen, then he pushes his start back a day...no wonder the kid was unconfortable. i think he will rebound on next start because he will be much more confortable. or i could just be saying all of this as a billingsley owner. :-o

No matter what happens, Billingsley is virtually a lock in the rotation. Torre likes having Chan Ho Park and Hong Chih Kuo as long relievers to sub in for Loaiza should he falter.

Montana168 wrote:regarding kershaw....i think he will be up most likely around june/post-all star break. i can't really see him coming up any earlier unless a starter gets injured or saito/broxton gets injured. torre has said that if saito can't go they wound bring kershaw up and use him much like chamberlain in NY, and have broxton as the closer. ultimately i think he will come up post-all star and take loiaza's #5 spot in the rotation. however, if loiaza somehow becomes effective we could not see kershaw until september. i would moniter the #5 spot but don't obsess over it right now because it most likely won't come for another couple months till we start hearing rumors.

Kershaw could get the Joba treatment just to break him in without taxing his arm, but assuming Saito's fine and closing, we'll have an excess of MR's. Joe Beimel is our situational 7th inning guy as well as Scott Proctor and Troncoso who's been filling in where Jonathan Meloan would've been. With Kershaw getting more relief work in the minors, it's a good sign that Kershaw could crack the rotation right away. The thought of a Kershaw-Broxton-Saito 7-8-9 combo would be mighty filthy though.

What is your best guess as to his ETA?
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:45 pm

Slow Pitch wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:

What is your best guess as to his ETA?

I think I answered that earlier. :-b

I believe there's the best chance Kershaw comes up around late June/early July (midseason) and I would be really surprised if at the latest, he's only promoted in September. Loaiza has looked shaky already and it's just a matter of time before Chan Ho Park's given a tryout there, but this will only accelerate Kershaw being called up (at earliest, you're looking at early June).

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Return to Injuries & Player Updates