Hoffman blows yet another game..How much longer? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hoffman blows yet another game..How much longer?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Hoffman blows yet another game..How much longer?

Postby kemper5 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:23 pm

How much longer does he close..Here are some stats to consider..

Post A.S. 07' Trevor had a 4.44 ERA including his last 7 appearances of 07' being a 5.68 era and batters having a nice .330+ Ave off him, right into being really bad this year..How bad? 0-2, 12.27 ERA, 3.2 IP, 5 ER, 5 H, 2 BB's and a homa..OUCH!!! Will the SD Brass keep him out there because he's a "Good Soldier" and has done his due time?..God, I hope not.. I'm predicting 4-6 Blown Saves just in April. He's 1/2 way there
kemper5
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Hoffman blows yet another game..How much longer?

Postby deutschland » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:34 pm

not a chance unless he's injured. he'll be fine. maybe not as good as he used to be but still serviceable.
deutschland
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jcook3127 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:01 pm

I hate the guy...He's been great, he's going to go into the Hall of Fame..but this guy is done

Now Todd Jones has sucked and remained the Closer in Detroit for 2 seasons, so Hoffman probably isn't going anywhere (though Bell would be a better replacement)

But yea..Hoffman doesn't get it done anymore...the mph difference on his fast/change dwindles every pitch he slings to the plate...he better retire at the end of the season..I'm sick of him

If you could trade Hoffman for any mid-level closer with decent job security, I'd do it in a heart beat
Why don't they just get a house that's already painted?
jcook3127
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:31 pm

I think its gonna take a LOT of blown saves for him to lose the job. Even with how dominant Bell is, I would think he has a really long leash
FantasyFreak
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby duckbillgates » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:36 pm

Did you seriously just compare Trevor Hoffman to Todd Jones?

Going into his two-game meltdown to end last season, his ERA was at 2.41 and he had 42 saves. I think reports of his demise have been greatly exaggerated.

He's also gone out there four times in the first week of the season, which is evidence of how long his leash is. Today's tie-game situation was unusual, as he usually is limited to the save opps and there are plenty in San Diego.

You say sell; I say buy!
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."
— Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby JTWood » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:57 pm

His K-rate has decreased every year for the last few years, and he's giving up more fly balls than he has in a long, long time.

I made a bet with WR that he wouldn't be so hot this year. I'm already tasting the Wendy's Frosty. ;-D

Just a note to you Hoffman owners: If Hoff does have a bad year, be prepared for it to be very bad. He's too popular in SD for him to get benched. They'll ride him out of the playoffs before putting him on the pine.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Ender » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:59 pm

If Hoffman pitched in any other park I'd be a lot more worried, this guy has seen major slippage in his peripherals but the park has bailed him out in the stats people look at. Still if he has a couple more bad outings it wouldn't surprise me to see elbow pain and DL in his future.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby jcook3127 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:42 pm

duckbillgates wrote:Did you seriously just compare Trevor Hoffman to Todd Jones?

Going into his two-game meltdown to end last season, his ERA was at 2.41 and he had 42 saves. I think reports of his demise have been greatly exaggerated.

He's also gone out there four times in the first week of the season, which is evidence of how long his leash is. Today's tie-game situation was unusual, as he usually is limited to the save opps and there are plenty in San Diego.

You say sell; I say buy!

No I didn't...I only brought Jones into this as a way of telling the Original Poster that as bad as Hoffman has been, he's not going to lose his job if he's healthy...

That said, Hoffman has been a joke recently and he's a guy I'd avoid like the plague and look to deal if I owned him...watching him pitch is an adventure and it shouldn't be...that's certainly not what you look for in a supposed elite closer...he's nowhere near the level he used to be and even in 2006 he was blowing a bunch of saves...How can you fool somebody with only a few MPH difference on your pitches?
Why don't they just get a house that's already painted?
jcook3127
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:08 am

I dunno...I stayed away from in all drafts expecting pretty much what's happening...
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:19 am

OneLoveBoomer wrote:I dunno...I stayed away from in all drafts expecting pretty much what's happening...

Yeah, same here. I certainly do not consider him a buy low. I would stay away.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers