The LIMA plan - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The LIMA plan

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The LIMA plan

Postby willegal » Sun Feb 22, 2004 7:12 pm

Can anyone give me an explanation of this?
willegal
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Jivedude » Sun Feb 22, 2004 7:18 pm

taken from http://www.fantasyinfocentral.com/featu ... 001665.php

The LIMA Plan
March 20, 2003
By: bp

LIMA (Low Investment Mound Aces) was invented by the great baseball mind Ron Shandler (baseballhq.com) as a draft strategy for traditional 4x4 Rotisserie leagues. LIMA is named after pitcher Jose Lima, whose 1998 performance captured what the strategy is all about. To successfully implement the LIMA plan, take the following steps in your auction draft.

First, set aside $60 max out of your $260 allocated dollars to spend on your pitching staff. No more than $30 of the $60 set aside for pitching should be spent on saves. Depending on what type of league you are in, it might mean drafting 1 stud closer or a few mid-range closers.

Next, determine who to spend your money on. According to Shandler, you should only draft pitchers that meet the following conditions:

K/BB ratio of 2.0 or better

K/9 ratio of 6.0 or better

HR/9 of 1.0 or less

In order to calculate these values you need to use the following formulas:

K/BB Ratio = K/BB

K/9 Ratio = (K/IP) * 9

HR/9 Ratio = (HR/IP) * 9

At the auction, draft as few innings as your league allows. This generally means you only draft 2 or 3 starters (you may have to draft more depending on your league’s inning limits). You should estimate a starter will pitch about 200 innings a year and a reliever will pitch approximately 70 innings a year.

Since you will be spending $200 on offense you should be able to acquire players that will place you at or near the top of every offensive category. Be sure to spend all of your money by the end of the draft, without spending more than $29 on any one batter. If you overspend in one area you are going to have to compensate for that in another.

After the draft, you want to have a team that will win or be amongst the leaders in all the batting categories and in the upper 1/3 of ERA, WHIP and Saves. Ideally, you should be above the bottom 1/3 in Wins.

In 5x5 leagues, aim to be in the upper half of the strikeout category. Be aware that a 6.0 K/IP ratio may not give your staff enough K’s to compete in the strikeout category. In most 5x5 leagues you will probably need to allocate more of your budget to fill your pitching categories. Don’t be afraid to modify the LIMA plan according to your league specifications.

To apply the LIMA strategy to a straight draft, spend your first 10 to 12 picks on offensive players while making sure you draft at least 1 closer. Grab LIMA pitchers in the mid-teen rounds and close out your draft with relievers that are solid in ERA and WHIP, who can also vulture wins and saves.

In a competitive league the LIMA plan should allow you to win or finish in the money. With the surplus of offensive talent on your team, you should have no problems trading for pitching later on in the season if needed. Even if you don’t use LIMA as your sole strategy it will still help bring you closer to a fantasy championship.
Jivedude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Andy1234 » Sun Feb 22, 2004 7:20 pm

A link to another thread about this

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... light=lima
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. -Crash Davis

Stewie : [watching a baseball game] Why does that man drop his club before he runs? I would bring it with me!
Andy1234
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby yankee_cafe » Sun Feb 22, 2004 7:23 pm

Great advice.

I was about to post a note asking for advice about a serpentine style draft and it was answered very well in the previous note. Thanks!

I will be drafting this way this year. I intend to have one of Gagne, Smoltz, Wagner, Foulke or Dotel after round 4, and just fill in some starters/middle relief guys as my starting roster fills up.
Can we build it?
yankee_cafe
College Coach
College Coach

Postby yankee_cafe » Sun Feb 22, 2004 7:26 pm

Just a thought .... Anyone know of cheap/late round pitchers that fall into the ...

K/BB ratio of 2.0 or better

K/9 ratio of 6.0 or better

HR/9 of 1.0 or less

... as stated above?
Can we build it?
yankee_cafe
College Coach
College Coach

Postby L0rdB23 » Sun Feb 22, 2004 7:31 pm

thats a good question.. i wwould also like to get a list started of pitchers that fall into the LIma plan
L0rdB23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Budworth22 » Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:22 pm

An easy way to do this, is go on yahoo, create a league with those 3 categories as your scoring. then sort by it. highlight the guys who meet all 3 of them. then delett the elague
Budworth22
College Coach
College Coach

Location: Tallahassee/ Ft. Myers ST Home of the Sox and Twins

Postby Joe Mauer » Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:35 pm

interesting....I've never heard of this method b4.

Pierz,Castro,Tulo,Espinosa,Gyorko,Goldschmidt,Encarna,Howard,Carter,Cespedes,Marte,Soriano,Brown,Ludwick,Smoak
Strasbg,King F,Harvey,Scherzer,Teheran,Street,Jansen,Hernandez
BA 5,HR 9.5,R 4,RBI 6,SB 2,ERA 12,H+S 8,K 11,W 7.5,WHIP 11,TOT 76 pt 3rd
Joe Mauer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Standing outside the Metrodome singing "We're going to win Twins, We're going to score...."

Postby Dude86 » Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:08 pm

Are there any other examples of this plan working other than Jose Lima?
Dude86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Honus » Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:17 pm

According to my Excel sheets for the 2003 season, the following pitchers met the K/BB > 2, K/9>6 and HR/9<1 criteria:

P. Martinez
J. Schmidt
M. Prior
K. Brown
J. Contreras
E. Loaiza
C. Schilling
T. Hudson
J. Santana
J. Beckett
B. Webb
M. Mussina
R. Halladay
B. Kim
M. Batista
M. Mulder
S. Shields
W. Williams
D. Willis
M. Redman
K. Millwood
W. Miller
J. Affeldt
D. Dreifort
A. Pettitte
M. Clement
C. Sabathia
K. Saarloos
K. Escobar
B. Penny
A. Eaton

Hope this helps you pick up some good pitchers.
We don't like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out. Decca Recording, 1962
New opinions are always suspected, and usually opposed, without any other reason but because they are not already common. John Locke
Fortune favors the bold. Virgil
Honus
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers