McLaren is a idiot - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

McLaren is a idiot

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: McLaren is a idiot

Postby Madison » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:11 pm

HOOTIE wrote:The paper today states that perhaps the offense was just as responsible for the loss. I don't buy that at all. Sure they need to score more, then the 4 runs per game they are averaging. But the bottom line is, it was a 2 run lead in the 9th. Doesn't matter if the score is 2-0, or 9-7. The win probability for a team up 2 in the 9th is 93.7% I don't blame the offense one bit, in this particular game.

Sounds like the paper is grasping at straws to me. :-o The offense? Geez, give my Rangers a 2 run lead in the 9th every game and I'll be happy. Like you, I couldn't care if it's 2-0 or 9-7, just give us that lead.

Millwood would kill for 2 runs in a game. 0-2 with a 1.29 ERA so far this year. 8-o
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby horatio » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:38 pm

Well by the looks of today's lineup it appears that he's possibly finally figured out that batting Sexson 4th in the order is a bad idea.

Give my boy Ibanez a little support.
horatio
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:42 pm

horatio wrote:Well by the looks of today's lineup it appears that he's possibly finally figured out that batting Sexson 4th in the order is a bad idea.

Give my boy Ibanez a little support.

All just rearranging deck chairs when you are facing the BEAST of the AL EAST, Baltimore Orioles.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:45 pm

Umm McLaren gave the ball to O'Flaherty again and got the same result.
I wonder how long it'll take him to figure it out. :-?
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Half Massed » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:22 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:
Half Massed wrote:
Madison wrote:I agree Hootie, Felix should have the midset of 9 innings and being a horse. But if McLaren had done that and Felix blown the game (or God forbid gotten hurt! :-o ), then the fans never would have let him hear the end of it. An injury and the fans would have been screaming for his job once word came out that Felix asked to be taken out.

It would have been shades of Dusty Baker. I can't blame McLaren for taking Felix out if he said he was done for the night and the pitching coach agreed. They were up by two runs with only one inning left in the game. I know he didn't have Putz, but the bullpen should be able to handle that, especially against a rather weak team.

Felix was only at 97 pitches. It would be shades of Dusty Baker if McLaren left him in to throw 140. I don't see the harm in putting Felix in to start the inning, and then seeing how it goes. I didn't see the game, so I don't know if Felix was visibly tired. Was he? If so, then I can see why he went to the bullpen. But if not, I don't see the reason that you'd automatically yank him and put your team in a riskier position to lose the game.

I wasn't referring to the pitch count, more to forcing a young pitcher to go back out after 8 innings when he says he doesn't want to. I completely agree that Felix should have wanted to go back out, but if he says he doesn't feel up to it, I'd rather listen to him than risk him getting hurt this early in the season.

The Mariners have been ultra careful with how they handle Felix, I don't see them diverting from that when they have a two run lead going into the 9th in an April game, Putz or not.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Padsin05 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:18 am

Mugrila wrote:I don't have a problem with how he handled the situation today at all, but I just don't like how he uses the bullpen regularly. I like how he used O'Flaherty vs. the lefties, since we only have two LHPs to call on we have to use them in the right situations. Today was just simply a case of the players not getting the job done, and is a perfect example of how even the best rotation in the MLB can't guarantee wins.

Mariners have best rotation in MLB?

Doubtful
Padsin05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 13)

Postby Mugrila » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:56 am

Padsin05 wrote:
Mugrila wrote:I don't have a problem with how he handled the situation today at all, but I just don't like how he uses the bullpen regularly. I like how he used O'Flaherty vs. the lefties, since we only have two LHPs to call on we have to use them in the right situations. Today was just simply a case of the players not getting the job done, and is a perfect example of how even the best rotation in the MLB can't guarantee wins.

Doubtful

I didn't mean that as the M's do, I mean even if we had a 5-Felix rotation we would still lose games b/c we don't have the offense or bullpen to back it up.
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby Padsin05 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:48 pm

Mugrila wrote:
Padsin05 wrote:

Doubtful

I didn't mean that as the M's do, I mean even if we had a 5-Felix rotation we would still lose games b/c we don't have the offense or bullpen to back it up.

ahh ok point taken
Padsin05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 13)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers