Commissioner's feed back wanted! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Commissioner's feed back wanted!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Commissioner's feed back wanted!

Postby Taters » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:59 am

I have been playing fanasty baseball for 7 years now, commished 4 leagues, but have played in many. In the past few years I have been trying to come up with the "perfect" stats for a league. I know, nothing is perfect. But I think the cats. in a league, should reflect the "player" not the "team" he is on. So these are the cats. I have come up with. I would like some feedback to see if I'm on the right track, or out in right field.

Batter Cats- OB%,SLG%,HR,AVG,SB,E,
Pitcher Cats- ERA,WHIP,K,CG,SV,HLD

What I'm trying to get at is to have only the players stats that he can control count. I know the Manager has some say in all this,(i.e. SB, CG), but I don't think we should count on players around them to pad the stats we count, (i.e. RBI,R,W,L). Tell me what you think.
Image<thanks alec03
Move over Mantle and Maris, the new blood is here!!
Taters
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Commissioner's feed back wanted!

Postby CruiseJD » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:50 am

I'm not a fan of CG. Pitcher has very little control over that decision and I'm not even sure if enough pitchers get CGs to make valid comparisons.

I would consider replacing CG with Quality Starts (QS). It measures effectiveness of starters over the first 6IP.
CruiseJD
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dragoon » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:50 pm

I'm not sure, I feel that R, RBI and W should be categories in fantasy. I've been using the regular 5x5 plus OPS and holds. I don't really like holds though, it's too random. I may try QS next year, we shall see. Anybody use QS and like it? dislike it?
dragoon
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Matthias » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:50 pm

When I made my league, I gave serious thought to using Quality Starts. I ended up going with Wins instead and here's why...

1) Most of the things that Q/S rewards is already captured by other statistics: ERA, and then to a predictive extent, WHIP and K's.
2) There's something about just doing enough to win. You can see some pitchers gut it out, holding onto the lead.
3) Even though people think of Q/S as the more neutral statistic, there's a decent argument that Wins actually is.
* Wins are park-neutral; quality starts are not.
* Wins are weather-neutral; quality starts are not.
* Wins are league-neutral; quality starts are not.

The best argument for Q/S is that it is lineup-neutral... that good pitchers on bad teams aren't penalized. But because of all of the above factors, I think Wins is actually a better one to use.

(Edited b/c I forgot about the biggest autocorrelative factor: being in the NL).
Last edited by Matthias on Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby talan37 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:12 am

As said, complete games isn't such a great category. Pitchers don't always have control over it, there are so few that simply getting 1 will almost always win you the category in h2h. It seems good in theory but doesn't really work in practice Imo.

I don't particularly like wins as it instantly confers value to any pitcher who sniffs a yankee uniform, and I find vulture wins to be utterly stupid. However I am not necessarily a huge QS fan either. If the goal is to make it more "performance" based then yeah i would probably go with QS.

Is that an E for errors? I assume your trying to get some measure of defense? If so, I wouldn't do it this way. Errors alone are simply not a good way to measure if someone is a good fielder or not. I think this is a pretty arbitrary category, I guess if I really wanted to measure defense i would use something like defensive win shares or something a little more encompassing of factors beyond simply "errors". Just using errors would be like just using strikeouts to measure if someone is a good hitter... it just ignores so many factors.

By your theme I would change SB to (SB-CS) as someone who steals 50/50 bases is surely more valuable than someone who steals 50/100.

I wouldn't use %obp, %slugging and avg... I would probably just go strictly with %obp and %slug. Also imo you really shouldn't be using _just_ HR's... if you only want 1 category for that then use total bases.
Check out my blog at http://www.rotopulse.com for fantasy baseball analysis, injury reports, commissioner info and more. For laughs check out http://www.sportshysterics.com
talan37
College Coach
College Coach

Trivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Nerfherders » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:44 pm

Hmm the perfect roto stats - I would want to find a way to make stats equal somehow, which is impossible in roto. But just for fun here is an idea for offense. Make it so every single 'mark' has equal value.

Total Bases - every base is a point
SB-CS - every extra base is a point, but an out is negative.
Runs
RBI
BB+HBP

You're accounting for every instance a player gains a base, and giving bonus points for runs created. It would be better in a points league but this could still work as categories.

Pitching is harder because wins and saves are determined by the game and not by the player (as much). I like QS for starters. Ive been toying with the idea of eliminating saves and using ER/G as a metric for relievers. But there are no sites that will support that stat.
Nerfherders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 5)

Postby noseeum » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:09 pm

Definitely don't use errors. Team's that have DHs with position eligibility will have an advantage because they don't play defense. If you use defense you want it to be something positive for good defense, like defensive win shares, as opposed to negative for bad defense. Same reason I don't like caught stealing as a fantasy stat, because if you just avoid guys who attempt, you win a category.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Commissioner's Corner