REVISED: No Country for Old Men vs There Will Be Blood - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

REVISED: No Country for Old Men vs There Will Be Blood

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Which film do you prefer?

No Country for Old Men
25%
There Will Be Blood
46%
Equally brilliant
17%
Overrated Drivel
13%

Total votes : 24

Re: REVISED: No Country for Old Men vs There Will Be Blood

Postby CineMamet » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:14 am

Yoda wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:The Dark Knight is supposed to be 2 1/2 hours, so you better pop a few Adderall before that guy.

I'll definitely see that in the theaters. Action/drama like Batman is well worth it.

I guess I'm just getting too old. When we go out to see a movie, we always go to the first shows on weekends after the movie has been out for a few weeks and pay $10 for two admissions. It's rare that we will go see a movie twice a month.

It's so much better to sit home than having to worry about people talking or kicking my chair or blocking my view, etc.

You hit the nail on the head. The theater experience is so rotten these days that it's almost not worth the mess of drunk teenagers, sticky floors, inflated prices, sold out shows, and commentary by all people irregardless of their race. There was a time when the moviegoing experience was a great time for all.

Wow, unless the Coen Bros. fanboys come storming in, it looks like There Will Be Blood took this one home!
Last edited by CineMamet on Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember me from such nature films as "Earwigs: Ewwww" and "Man vs. Nature: The Road to Victory."
CineMamet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby JTWood » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:55 am

...commentary by black people.

Well, now. I have a feeling that's not very appropriate. I have been to my share of movies where non-blacks were commenting, too. In one instance, my brother did it while at a move with me - and I'm not quite black. Well, I'm pretty sure of that.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:03 am

JTWood wrote:
...commentary by black people.

Well, now. I have a feeling that's not very appropriate. I have been to my share of movies where non-blacks were commenting, too. In one instance, my brother did it while at a move with me - and I'm not quite black. Well, I'm pretty sure of that.

Yeah that's pretty racist. Based on my experience, the loud ones are usually white.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Trebor » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:34 am

based on repeat watchability: No Country

based on overall wow factor: TWBB

to be honest i voted both brilliant...edge, if pressed, may go to There Will Be Blood...the music by Radioheads Jonny Greenwood may be the part that pushes it over the edge.

both sets of directors are the best...Big Lebowski & Magnolia....man, nuff said.
Trebor
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thedude » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:12 am

curious_george_43545 wrote:
rentnewtampa wrote:liked both movies and was riveted in each until about the two thirds part of the movie... however, both endings were a bit off the mark in my opinion... TWBB had a better ending, so I voted for it over No Country..

agree 100%

Personally i liked the endings, but Hollywood endings disgust me. I mean, i can watch most movies for 25 minuets and know exactly how everything will end; most movies are just too predictable. That is why i loved both these movies.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 90)

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:32 am

I finally saw TWBB a few weeks ago. I was impressed with the quality of the acting, but I was sorely disappointed by the plot that dragged on. I was also very disappointed with the ending that basically changed the movie from entertainment to a symbolism-laden piece of historical social commentary.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 18)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:41 am

CineMamet wrote:...and commentary by black people.

Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby curious_george_43545 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:52 am

thedude wrote:
curious_george_43545 wrote:
rentnewtampa wrote:liked both movies and was riveted in each until about the two thirds part of the movie... however, both endings were a bit off the mark in my opinion... TWBB had a better ending, so I voted for it over No Country..

agree 100%

Personally i liked the endings, but Hollywood endings disgust me. I mean, i can watch most movies for 25 minuets and know exactly how everything will end; most movies are just too predictable. That is why i loved both these movies.

SPOILERS

True, but No Country had such an anti climatic ending for me. You don't even see the main character's death, when you see his dead body at the end I didn't feel any emotion.

TWBB had a better ending, but it wasn't amazing or anything. By the way love the music in TWBB, some people say they hate when the score is almost like another character it's so prominent in the film, but I think it fit well in TWBB.
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Yoda » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:00 am

curious_george_43545 wrote:SPOILERS

True, but No Country had such an anti climatic ending for me. You don't even see the main character's death, when you see his dead body at the end I didn't feel any emotion.

TWBB had a better ending, but it wasn't amazing or anything. By the way love the music in TWBB, some people say they hate when the score is almost like another character it's so prominent in the film, but I think it fit well in TWBB.

The ending for NCFOM was definitely anticlimactic. I think a better ending would have been with Bardem getting crashed into and not show whether he lived or not. Leave that part to the audience's imagination.

TWBB music didn't make much sense until you realize the madness that drove Plainview. I thought it was brilliant.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby J35J » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:10 am

Both movies were pretty overrated....I've mentioned it before but all the love I'm seeing here is kinda confusing me. They were quite boring...I tried to watch No Country for Old Men again the other day and stopped watching half way through. No Country was much better than TWBB... :-t

I understand I'm the black sheep in regards to these movies though...
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 620)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk