Who is this year's CHRIS SHELTON??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is this year's CHRIS SHELTON???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Who is this year's CHRIS SHELTON???

Postby CineMamet » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:32 pm

Ender wrote:
The Jury wrote:
CineMamet wrote:Ryan Doumit? Mark Reynolds?

I think Xavier Nady is an every year hot start.

Anybody in one of those leagues where Kyle Lohse is immediately scooped up?

Mark Reynolds HAS started out hot, but he's not likely to fizzle like Shelton did. It would be impossible to keep up this pace but he's got a good, consistent stroke and should be good all year and beyond.

To be fair Shelton wasn't likely to be the first Shelton. He had a solid minor league track record and a good partial season in the majors.

Although to be fair, not many players don't have solid minor league records and then light it up. Wait, that sounds confusing. You know what I mean.
Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember me from such nature films as "Earwigs: Ewwww" and "Man vs. Nature: The Road to Victory."
CineMamet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby CineMamet » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:33 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:mclouth.

don't kill me :-o

Uh oh -- where are the McLovin fans? Just don't hate on Billy Butler or you may destroy this forum.
Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember me from such nature films as "Earwigs: Ewwww" and "Man vs. Nature: The Road to Victory."
CineMamet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:50 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:mclouth.

don't kill me :-o

Meh. I think it's McLouth hands down.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:20 pm

As much as I don't want to say this about someone on my own team, I'll go with Mark Reynolds.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)

Postby Yoda » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:32 pm

I don't understand. Shelton was pretty useful. He was great for a little while and completely fell off at which point he was probably dropped from most people's rosters.

Even the really hot guys like Reynolds, McLouth, Cueto or anyone else already mentioned, just enjoy the ride. If they start falling apart, just replace them. They didn't cost you much to begin with.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Ender » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:38 pm

Yoda wrote:I don't understand. Shelton was pretty useful. He was great for a little while and completely fell off at which point he was probably dropped from most people's rosters.

Even the really hot guys like Reynolds, McLouth, Cueto or anyone else already mentioned, just enjoy the ride. If they start falling apart, just replace them. They didn't cost you much to begin with.

Shelton was a really weird case, everything about his history at the time suggested he was a legit prospect and should be expected to put up at least servicable numbers. He came out of the gate incredibly fast, had a huge April and then fell apart. The weird thing is his minor league stats are down since then as well, somehow that hot start actually hurt his development which doesn't make too much sense.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby CineMamet » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:13 am

Yoda wrote:I don't understand. Shelton was pretty useful. He was great for a little while and completely fell off at which point he was probably dropped from most people's rosters.

I think that with the hot guys, there's a different way to utilize them (insert dirty joke here) if you're in a Head to Head league as I am than in a roto or points league. Banking on a Shelton immediately after his hot April to get hot again will help you lose your weekly match-up and result in a dip in the standings.
CineMamet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:22 am

As far as value goes?
Albert Pujols.
He'll start in blistering Bertie fashion, and then in July or August go and have elbow surgery.

Another Shelton is Mark Reynolds.
And for deep leagues it is Christian Guzman - he is smashing it at the moment, but should go back to normal.
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby CineMamet » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:28 am

AussieDodger wrote:As far as value goes?
Albert Pujols.
He'll start in blistering Bertie fashion, and then in July or August go and have elbow surgery.

Another Shelton is Mark Reynolds.
And for deep leagues it is Christian Guzman - he is smashing it at the moment, but should go back to normal.

That's why Pujols went late first round in my league. I think once the Cards find themselves in the basement of the division, he'll finally get the surgery.

I admit that I considered adding Christian Guzman...yes, THAT Christian Guzman. As horrible as he is a fantasy player, I was hoping he would have a Chris Shelton-like start. I'm not sure how long JRoll will be out, so I needed a shortstop. I went with Khalil Greene instead, so at least I have my dignity intact.
CineMamet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers