Who is this year's CHRIS SHELTON??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is this year's CHRIS SHELTON???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Who is this year's CHRIS SHELTON???

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:38 am

woodson_28 wrote:Don't forget about JJ.Hardy last year. I picked him up and by the all-star break I had unloaded him, Tex and Andruw Jones for R. Howard, A.Ram and Bobby Abreu.

Hardy wasn't actually that bad in the 2nd half. He lost his power, and he wasn't by any means as good as in the 1st half but he wasn't awful, like Shelton was.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 33)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby j24jags » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:32 am

I'm going to go with Carlos Gomez. He is an electic player, fast as anyone, but he is still very young, the book on him has not gotten around. Sure he will have his excellent stretches, but I saw his swing plenty last year as a Met, and it is not a great swing. He will have his cold stretches when he is very cold. The end result will probably be a .265 BA with plenty of SBs and nothing else, but he has started off hot and is capable of keeping it up for a short period of time. As of now he is hitting .450 w/ 4 SBs. If he grabs another few bags, you'd be smart to sell him high.
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MasterX1918 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:47 am

IllinoisBandit wrote:
MasterX1918 wrote:I don't think Cueto is a fluke either, but after only ONE START, his stock is already through the roof. I'd say most people are ranking him as one of the top 10 fantasy pitchers to have right now based on just one start, i'm just not feeling it.

Bit of an exaggeration there. I don't think I've seen anyone say he's going to be top 10 in '08. He's a hell of a lot better than Paul Byrd and the like, though.

I'm talking about stock value right now, at this moment. I honestly think most people are valuing him higher than guys like Chad Bilingsly and Adam Wainwright, which is absurd. If you look at ranks for pitchers Peavy and Santana are still 1 and 2 but alot of people are getting the illusion hat guys like Harden and Cueto are people that you can rely on.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby jdsun1 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:40 am

MasterX1918 wrote:
IllinoisBandit wrote:
MasterX1918 wrote:I don't think Cueto is a fluke either, but after only ONE START, his stock is already through the roof. I'd say most people are ranking him as one of the top 10 fantasy pitchers to have right now based on just one start, i'm just not feeling it.

Bit of an exaggeration there. I don't think I've seen anyone say he's going to be top 10 in '08. He's a hell of a lot better than Paul Byrd and the like, though.

I'm talking about stock value right now, at this moment. I honestly think most people are valuing him higher than guys like Chad Bilingsly and Adam Wainwright, which is absurd. If you look at ranks for pitchers Peavy and Santana are still 1 and 2 but alot of people are getting the illusion hat guys like Harden and Cueto are people that you can rely on.

You most certainly CAN count on them in any 12 team league right now. Billingsley and Wainwright don't exactly have a long enough track record to suggest they are better and they certainly don't have the talent that guys like Cueto and Harden have when they are on their game. Still bitter you lost out on the Cueto sweepstakes huh?
jdsun1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby CineMamet » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:27 pm

Ryan Doumit? Mark Reynolds?

I think Xavier Nady is an every year hot start.

Anybody in one of those leagues where Kyle Lohse is immediately scooped up?
Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember me from such nature films as "Earwigs: Ewwww" and "Man vs. Nature: The Road to Victory."
CineMamet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Jury » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:33 pm

CineMamet wrote:Ryan Doumit? Mark Reynolds?

Mark Reynolds HAS started out hot, but he's not likely to fizzle like Shelton did. It would be impossible to keep up this pace but he's got a good, consistent stroke and should be good all year and beyond.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby deutschland » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:45 pm

Ender wrote:First off I'd say that Shelton was not what you think he was, he was a real prospect who had success in the majors before and got off to a really hot start which probably was the cause of his failure in the long run.

I notice people mentioned Hardy but if you forgive him the first half of his rookie year which was just horrible the rest of his stats were more or less exactly in line with last year.

I'd say the Shelton of this season is probably Carlos Gomez. This guy is just terrible, he is so overmatched yet is still putting up solid numbers. I just think you will see more 0 for 4 with 3 K than good games from him until they get tired of it and send him to the minors. Sell high and sell fast. You can only bunt single so many times before they catch up to you.

Josh Hamilton apparently could be the next one too since someone in my money league just traded him straight up for Zimmerman. Unfortunately I don't think I can veto it give the league rules but it is just a horrible trade and the Hamilton owner will regret it almost for sure.

um, Josh Hamilton is good. he is an injury risk but when healthy he is more likely to outperform zimmerman. at worst I would call it even. plus 3B is very deep and OF is not. even trade.
deutschland
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:46 pm

mclouth.

don't kill me :-o
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby cards05 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:28 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:mclouth.

don't kill me :-o

It was only a matter of time until McLovin got thrown in with these hacks... :-D
cards05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Ender » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:26 pm

The Jury wrote:
CineMamet wrote:Ryan Doumit? Mark Reynolds?

Mark Reynolds HAS started out hot, but he's not likely to fizzle like Shelton did. It would be impossible to keep up this pace but he's got a good, consistent stroke and should be good all year and beyond.

To be fair Shelton wasn't likely to be the first Shelton. He had a solid minor league track record and a good partial season in the majors.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers