Who is this year's CHRIS SHELTON??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is this year's CHRIS SHELTON???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who is this year's CHRIS SHELTON???

Postby CineMamet » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:40 pm

Let's discuss the fluke players throughout the course of the early season as they come along so we can determine who we should sell high.

If Scott Hairston manages to hit 8 HR this month, no one will say "fluke" although a slight regression is natural. But if you were smart, you traded Shelton after his initial splurge.

Since the season just began, there's not much to gauge (hey look, AJ Pierzynski is #1 in Yahoo!), unless you have any early breakout predictions. Whose stock will rise like Google? Whose has peaked?

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember me from such nature films as "Earwigs: Ewwww" and "Man vs. Nature: The Road to Victory."
CineMamet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Who is this year's CHRIS SHELTON???

Postby MasterX1918 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:49 pm

I'm gonna give you a pitcher and say Johnny Cueto. No way he matches that performance in his next start.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Field » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:25 pm

MasterX1918 wrote:I'm gonna give you a pitcher and say Johnny Cueto. No way he matches that performance in his next start.

Cueto doesn't fit the criteria at all.

Shelton was so flukely, if you remember he was actually sent down to the minors that same year. There's simply no way to predict it, it's almost a fruitless effort IMO.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Amatter32 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:55 pm

Cueto isn't a fluke. He may not have another outing like the ne he had, but if so, that doesn't mean he fits here.
Amatter32
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Russell James » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:39 pm

Chris Shelton...I picked him off of waivers and then traded him at the end of the month for a sputtering Ryan Howard. Possibly the greatest trade I ever made. If you remember Ryan Howard was just awful in the month of April that year and then proceeded to erupt for 50+.

Right now I would say Justin Upton, but I don't think that he is really a fluke, but he won't hit 30 HRs this year.
Russell James
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby woodson_28 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:59 pm

Don't forget about JJ.Hardy last year. I picked him up and by the all-star break I had unloaded him, Tex and Andruw Jones for R. Howard, A.Ram and Bobby Abreu.
woodson_28
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Nemyar » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:14 pm

I traded Hardy straight up for Rollins... somehow.
Nemyar
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MasterX1918 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:11 pm

I don't think Cueto is a fluke either, but after only ONE START, his stock is already through the roof. I'd say most people are ranking him as one of the top 10 fantasy pitchers to have right now based on just one start, i'm just not feeling it.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby IllinoisBandit » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:11 pm

MasterX1918 wrote:I don't think Cueto is a fluke either, but after only ONE START, his stock is already through the roof. I'd say most people are ranking him as one of the top 10 fantasy pitchers to have right now based on just one start, i'm just not feeling it.

Bit of an exaggeration there. I don't think I've seen anyone say he's going to be top 10 in '08. He's a hell of a lot better than Paul Byrd and the like, though.

My pick would be Corey Patterson. I could easily see him hitting 15 HR's and having 15 SB's pretty quick and then falling off the map as the season progresses and ultimately being released. A hot start by Conor Jackson could get people talking, only for him to regress to good 'ole .290/15 CJ.
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Ender » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:50 pm

First off I'd say that Shelton was not what you think he was, he was a real prospect who had success in the majors before and got off to a really hot start which probably was the cause of his failure in the long run.

I notice people mentioned Hardy but if you forgive him the first half of his rookie year which was just horrible the rest of his stats were more or less exactly in line with last year.

I'd say the Shelton of this season is probably Carlos Gomez. This guy is just terrible, he is so overmatched yet is still putting up solid numbers. I just think you will see more 0 for 4 with 3 K than good games from him until they get tired of it and send him to the minors. Sell high and sell fast. You can only bunt single so many times before they catch up to you.

Josh Hamilton apparently could be the next one too since someone in my money league just traded him straight up for Zimmerman. Unfortunately I don't think I can veto it give the league rules but it is just a horrible trade and the Hamilton owner will regret it almost for sure.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers