The Cardinals are good - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Cardinals are good

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: The Cardinals are good

Postby Yoda » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:18 am

dorje3 wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:
sportsaddict wrote:7-2, with 4 games coming up against MLB's worst team, San Fransisco.

We could be 11-2 or 10-3 by next Monday.


You could also be 7-6 or 8-5.

You could also be 9-4. I think that about does it.


Not really. Some of those games could be rained out and made up later in the year. :-B
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: The Cardinals are good

Postby nolanwood » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:24 am

kcs261 wrote:As bad as they were last year, the were only 7-games out of 1st.


Very true. However, the teams that finished ahead of them made improvements during the offseason while the Cardinals made downgrades.
nolanwood
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 464
Joined: 5 May 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: The Cardinals are good

Postby clevername » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:56 am

that is the common train of thought but I don't know that it's entirely accurate.

Without getting too much into defensive metrics and such, offensively Glaus will at least be equal to Rolen and probably better. Ankiel/Rasmus in center will outproduce Jimmy and just might match his fielding given Edmonds' age and body wear and tear...plus they'll play every day.

Kennedy was injured last year and had an aberration. Expect him to return to the mean for his career, which will be an improvement.

Izturis I don't want to talk about.

Just about anyone can replace Juan Encarnacion's production and the amalgam in left and right could outproduce him. Ideally we'd have Barton, Rasmus, and Ankiel in the OF giving us an excellent defensive outfield and pretty good plate production. Spin Duncan for help elsewhere (may never happen as long as Dad is around).

The rotation could actually be better. That's how bad the rotation was last year. I'm not saying the rotation will be good, but I think it will be better than last year. And if (there's always the if's) Mulder and Carp return healthy at the right times this year the rotation could actually rise up to good status.

The year has the potential to be pretty mediocre, but all the preseason doom and gloom about 90-100 losses was off base. While the likelihood is a season around 78-80 wins, the potential is there to be a mid 80's winning team and until the rest of the central can prove they're 90+ winners it's always going to be a mangled mess in August/September. Get hot at the right time...
When you are a man, sometimes you wear stretchy pants in your room...is for fun.
clevername
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1156
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 23 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: The Cardinals are good

Postby nolanwood » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:29 pm

clevername wrote:that is the common train of thought but I don't know that it's entirely accurate.

Without getting too much into defensive metrics and such, offensively Glaus will at least be equal to Rolen and probably better. Ankiel/Rasmus in center will outproduce Jimmy and just might match his fielding given Edmonds' age and body wear and tear...plus they'll play every day.

Kennedy was injured last year and had an aberration. Expect him to return to the mean for his career, which will be an improvement.

Izturis I don't want to talk about.

Just about anyone can replace Juan Encarnacion's production and the amalgam in left and right could outproduce him. Ideally we'd have Barton, Rasmus, and Ankiel in the OF giving us an excellent defensive outfield and pretty good plate production. Spin Duncan for help elsewhere (may never happen as long as Dad is around).

The rotation could actually be better. That's how bad the rotation was last year. I'm not saying the rotation will be good, but I think it will be better than last year. And if (there's always the if's) Mulder and Carp return healthy at the right times this year the rotation could actually rise up to good status.

The year has the potential to be pretty mediocre, but all the preseason doom and gloom about 90-100 losses was off base. While the likelihood is a season around 78-80 wins, the potential is there to be a mid 80's winning team and until the rest of the central can prove they're 90+ winners it's always going to be a mangled mess in August/September. Get hot at the right time...


I guess we're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one. ;-) I think my train of thought that they filled the offseason with downgrades and some lateral moves is more accurate at this point in time than a claim that an OF of Rasmus, Barton, and Ankiel will provide pretty good plate production

Sure, Carp and Mulder can return healthy and to their best form; Clement can return healthy and successful from a 2 year hiatus,in addition to fully recovering from the line drive off his head that appeared to have permanently shaken him up pre-surgery; Izturis can be the primary recipient of the magic Cardinals pixie dust for '08 and have a career year.

One thing we can agree about - they're gonna be a fun team to watch this year. Although I'm not sure in what capacity, I do think they have a legitimate shot at shocking the skeptics. There's something about the combo of unproven/has-been talent and TLR/Dunc that seems to work very nicely in STL. If they keep playing solid ball Mozeliak will have to make a deal for some legitimate protection for Pujols.
nolanwood
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 464
Joined: 5 May 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: The Cardinals are good

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:10 pm

dorje3 wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:
sportsaddict wrote:7-2, with 4 games coming up against MLB's worst team, San Fransisco.

We could be 11-2 or 10-3 by next Monday.


You could also be 7-6 or 8-5.

You could also be 9-4. I think that about does it.

They could also be 11-2 or 10-3, barring rain outs, of course. ;-D
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 14716
Joined: 24 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Re: The Cardinals are good

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:39 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
dorje3 wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:You could also be 7-6 or 8-5.

You could also be 9-4. I think that about does it.

They could also be 11-2 or 10-3, barring rain outs, of course. ;-D

Don't forget that they could also be 8-5. I think that's all of 'em...
Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24818
(Past Year: 322)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

Re: The Cardinals are good

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:52 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:
dorje3 wrote:You could also be 9-4. I think that about does it.

They could also be 11-2 or 10-3, barring rain outs, of course. ;-D

Don't forget that they could also be 8-5. I think that's all of 'em...

But if Ankiel hits 3 HR in one game, I believe they get a bonus win, which would make them 9-5.

Of course, we all know that's not possible, so I'd say they wind up at 7-6.

Anyone taken Acts of God into account? That could change things.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 14716
Joined: 24 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Re: The Cardinals are good

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:05 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:They could also be 11-2 or 10-3, barring rain outs, of course. ;-D

Don't forget that they could also be 8-5. I think that's all of 'em...

But if Ankiel hits 3 HR in one game, I believe they get a bonus win, which would make them 9-5.

Of course, we all know that's not possible, so I'd say they wind up at 7-6.

Anyone taken Acts of God into account? That could change things.


What are the odds you guys finish up this series at 6-7?
25
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 11949
(Past Year: 54)
Joined: 8 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: The Cardinals are good

Postby kcs261 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:55 am

11-4 now. Still looking good. ;-D
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1661
Joined: 11 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: St. Louis

Re: The Cardinals are good

Postby jealousblues » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:41 am

nolanwood wrote:
kcs261 wrote:As bad as they were last year, the were only 7-games out of 1st.


Very true. However, the teams that finished ahead of them made improvements during the offseason while the Cardinals made downgrades.



ill give you that other teams improved and the cards probably wont keep this up, but i cant let anyone say we made down grades (other than Izturis for EcK, that is a downgrade).

Rolen and Edmonds were HORRIBLE last year, and we were next to last and last in production out of the 4 and 5 holes.
Ankiel/Rasmus and Glaus will be better this year than they were last year, I also think the pitching will be better this year. The pen will probably regress some, though McClellan and Reyes out of the pen have been good so far. Loshe is an upgrade over any starter not named Wainwright from last year.
Even the back up catcher is better this year.


lets look at who we lost

Rolen
Edmonds
Eck
Wells
Taguchi
Preston WIlson
Gary Bennett

I cant tell you how down right awful Edmonds, Rolen and Wells were last year. I know they have recognizable names and were superstars at one time (well two of them), but they were pathetic last year.
What edmonds had 12 HR and Rolen 8?
Ill have to check that out.
they both had under 60 RBI, hitting behind Pujols. Yeah, that guy doesnt get on base...


Glaus will certainly be better this year than Rolen was last year, and possibly better than Rolen will be this year.
Ankiel/Rasmus will be superior to Edmonds of last year or this year.
Eck will be better than Izturis
Wells? Wells was absolutely horrible last year. You would understand if you had to watch this guy last year. In the first game after Hancock died he could have set the tone. Ive never seen someone so scared in my entire life. I think he committed two balks that inning and a wild pitch? Anyway he melted and never recovered all year. Loshe is a clear upgrade
Shumacker can do everything So could do and Barton is a fun player to watch with some exciting skills.
I had forgot that Wilson was even on the darned team last year.
Garry Bennett was a decent catcher, hit pretty well but could never throw someone out. LaRue is a better defender, not sure about hitting though.



Carpenter will come back later and should be an above average pitcher, Mulder will probably wash out (jmo)
JH32
jealousblues
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Posts: 2471
Joined: 6 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact