Jays Sign Rios and Hill to Long-term Contracts - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Toronto Blue Jays

Jays Sign Rios and Hill to Long-term Contracts

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jays Sign Rios and Hill to Long-term Contracts

Postby kimchi_chigae » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:24 pm

Link

Blue Jays sign Rios for six, Hill for four
Rios' contract worth $64 million; Hill's includes three options
By Jordan Bastian / MLB.com

TORONTO -- Timing is everything. On Friday, when the Blue Jays arrived at Rogers Centre for their home opener against the Red Sox, Toronto announced that it had signed right fielder Alex Rios and second baseman Aaron Hill to long-term contract extensions.

The Jays locked Rios up with the six-year, $64 million extension, which will begin with the 2009 season, after the rising star heard his name dangled in serious offseason trade discussions. In the end, Toronto decided to make the 27-year-old Rios a key component to the organization's long-term plans.

After Blue Jays general manager J.P. Ricciardi indicated earlier this week that talks with Hill would be postponed until next winter, the second baseman agreed to a four-year, $12 million deal that includes a club option that could run through the 2014 season. The contract could be worth as much as $38 million if Toronto keeps Hill in the fold for all seven years of the deal, which takes effect immediately.

It was a long negotiation process for Rios and the Jays, who first floated an offer in October. Wanting to see how other contract situations played out over the winter, Rios opted to hold off on signing. Toronto's original offer included fewer years for Rios, who now has an option in his deal that could keep him in a Jays uniform through 2015.

In December, Toronto pursued a trade that would've sent Rios to San Francisco for pitcher Tim Lincecum. When those discussions fell apart, the Blue Jays resumed negotiations with Rios, but the sides were forced to settle on a one-year, $4.835 contract for the 2008 season in February.

During Spring Training, the Blue Jays set an unofficial deadline for agreeing to a long-term contract with Rios, indicating that the talks would have to be picked up next winter if a deal wasn't reached before this season began. When the sides came a few details short of finalizing the current contract, the Jays allowed discussions to carry on until Friday.

Rios and Hill join center fielder Vernon Wells, who is signed through 2014, as the only Blue Jays players who have deals that extend beyond the 2010 season. Rios enters this season as Toronto's No. 3 hitter, following a breakout showing in '07. Last season, Rios hit .297 with 24 home runs and 85 RBIs in 161 games for the Jays and was named to his second American League All-Star team.

Last season, the 26-year-old Hill hit .291 with 17 home runs and 78 RBIs in 160 games for Toronto. He can still become a free agent following the 2011 season if the Jays opt not to pick up his option. According to Ricciardi, Toronto has once chance -- prior to the 2011 season -- to decide whether or not to pick up a one-year, two-year or three-year extension for Hill.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 200)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Jays Sign Rios and Hill to Long-term Contracts

Postby CineMamet » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:46 pm

I'm glad. Both will be in the top tier in their position for years to come. This not only gives us a good lineup, but great defense. Now that we're built around Wells, Rios, and Hill, it's time to clean up some of our junk. My fear is that the Jays will turn into the Leafs...a retirement home for former all-stars like Frank Thomas and Scott Rolen. Hopefully McGowan and Marcum will step up and Ryan will come back healthy in the summer. If this happens, then I don't see why the Jays can't compete for the Wild Card and have a better record than the Yankees, Mariners or Tigers/Indians.

On a separate note, Kimchi Chigae sounds real good right now...mm...with spam and some bap on the side. Maybe throw in tuna into the chigae, that's my favorite. And add some duk po gee with ramen noodles and jang jo rim. Oh yeah!
Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember me from such nature films as "Earwigs: Ewwww" and "Man vs. Nature: The Road to Victory."
CineMamet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Jays Sign Rios and Hill to Long-term Contracts

Postby RebuildAllYourRuins » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:56 pm

Rios dosn't sign NOTHING, I thought we learned....

Haha, hes not a model on the feild or off, I don't want him on our team. As for Hill, we DO want him.
RebuildAllYourRuins
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Toronto Blue Jays