my old ones - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v169/ ... 0desktops/
DSheppard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rangers wallpaper

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:03 pm

doesnt look like you did much to it :-?

did you just paste the pics on the wood background?

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 65)

Postby DSheppard » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:08 pm

why dont you tell me.

full of both - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v169/ ... 1207361219
does the bottom image look like the top image? although even that is granting it the high res logo i had to remake from a ultra low res one.

trust me, I could cleanly cut a player out in 2 minutes if thats what i wanted to do. i didnt expect to check the thread and be lavished with 3 pages of praise, but im surprised at that reply.
DSheppard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Snakes Gould » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:37 am

i dont know why you took offense. it just didnt look like you did much to it. i wasnt insulting your work. was just curious, which is the reason why i asked.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby DSheppard » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:47 am

i know, why wouldnt I love someone suggesting something I spent a good hour and a half on (though im sure i could recreate it now in much less time) looks like i spent 2 minutes pasting photos onto a bg.

its craaaaaaazy.

also, you didnt answer my question. can you tell the difference between the pasted pics and the wallpaper? im interested. i mean, is the top one pasted or the bottom one? inquiring minds want to know.
DSheppard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Snakes Gould » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:09 am

DSheppard wrote:i know, why wouldnt I love someone suggesting something I spent a good hour and a half on (though im sure i could recreate it now in much less time) looks like i spent 2 minutes pasting photos onto a bg.

its craaaaaaazy.

also, you didnt answer my question. can you tell the difference between the pasted pics and the wallpaper? im interested. i mean, is the top one pasted or the bottom one? inquiring minds want to know.

im not going to argue with you, nor am i going to post any more. all i asked was a simple question...im sorry you took offense to it, i didnt mean for it to sound like that. i was just wondering what you do to the wallpaper. my apologies.

SIGS!

Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby DSheppard » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:20 am

Let me put it like this. Say you havnt been on here before and make a thread for your page of 15-20 sigs. I post:

"Did you spend more than 3 minutes on any sig on your page? Doesnt look like any thought or effort went into any of them."

Same exact thing. maybe I reacted much more harshly than you would to such a question, but are you going to suggest that wouldn't even slightly annoy you? Seriously?

Ill admit perhaps I overreacted and you have avoided an argument, but you are acting as if you can't understand why I would take any offense whatsoever to that. Which I can't understand.

But ok, clearly you arn't trying to be hostile and its a misunderstanding so thats that I guess. Though now this thread is trashed. Oh well.
DSheppard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Snakes Gould » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:58 am

DSheppard wrote:Let me put it like this. Say you havnt been on here before and make a thread for your page of 15-20 sigs. I post:

"Did you spend more than 3 minutes on any sig on your page? Doesnt look like any thought or effort went into any of them."

Same exact thing. maybe I reacted much more harshly than you would to such a question, but are you going to suggest that wouldn't even slightly annoy you? Seriously?

Ill admit perhaps I overreacted and you have avoided an argument, but you are acting as if you can't understand why I would take any offense whatsoever to that. Which I can't understand.

But ok, clearly you arn't trying to be hostile and its a misunderstanding so thats that I guess. Though now this thread is trashed. Oh well.

if i asked someone to look at my signatures and tell me what they think and they responded by saying "you could do a lot more with them" or "what do you do there? use a render and 1 bg layer" or anything similar i wouldnt take offense whatsoever.

i just wasnt sure what you actually did to the wallpaper. i figured you found the wood as one pic, and then pasted the pics of the players, and then found the rangers text...it looks nice. its not overly complex nor should it be very time consuming (as you admitted it wouldnt be if you knew the direction you were going right away) but like you said, you werent going for the cutout, standard look. if you're happy with it, thats all that matters. ;-D

SIGS!

Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby DSheppard » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:16 am

Ok, im not going to argue how you would react since it would be idoitic of me to say I know you better than yourself, but I will say you should at least understand how someone could find that offensive(slightly.. i did take offense but its not like I cursed you out here.. i just made a sarcastic reply). But whatever, I'm past that.

Let me just specify this though. If you want to know, here.

1) 3 layers with various shadowing effects to try to get the "rangers" text carved into the wood, and a few cuts so it doesnt bridge the gaps.
2) Each picture individually warped/liquified so as to attempt to look 3d/pinned on there
3) Several hue/level adjustment layers for both the pics and BG separately to match a specific tone.
4) Grungy texture applied individually to each picture and again to the BG separately given it some more very slight texture.
5) Shadowing under each pic to give it depth from the bg. has various slight glows/shadows to pop them out from the bg
6) Gradients on overlay on the individual pics and then BG separately to give it more of an overall lighting scheme.
7) Added in some tacks to show them pinned to the board.
8) Recreated low res logo in illustrator (well, did this for another one) and eliminated the stroke very cleanly to slim it down.
9) Then a lighting effect on it.

and of course toying around with those and the arrangement/sizes and such.

Theres a difference between subtle work to get a specific look and no work. I think the comparison pic (to clarify that.. the above pics I posted were strictly copy/paste as you thought it was beneath the finished one) illustrates that. It is not in fact a background , 5 copy/paste commands and then saved to the desktop.

Although ill say faint textures, shadowing and such are probably hard to make out on the shrunk down previw pic i posted as the main image (link to full size HD widescreen below it which is the size its meant to be on a pc).
DSheppard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby smoovethug » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:54 pm

It looks good. You took a different route and you executed it pretty well, nicely done. ;-D

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 88)

Return to Contests and Showing Off