Waivers? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Waivers?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Waivers?

Postby down with rincon » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:40 pm

5x5 scoring system, weekly head to head with daily transactions.

Can someone explain to me the logic with having "new" MLBers starting out on "waivers"? In my yahoo! league, for instance, Johnny Cueto is not a free agent, he is on waivers. This means that I cant just pick him up, I have to have the #1 waiver in order to get him. This is especially frustrating, considering I tried to pick him up before his start, and by now everyone knows who this guy is!!

The other issue I have with waivers in a league like this is that guys can add/drop players everyday. So if I guy wants to have a couple pitcher spots that are in and out everyday, the guy they drop is on waivers for 3 days. So, esentially if everyone did this, there would be 30 players on waivers--constantly.

I am just looking for someone to explain the logic behind waivers. I understand the "keep it competitive" mindset, however in times like this, I feel a fantasy manager should be rewarded for doing good research.

Thank you for anything anyone can provide. Good luck to all in 2008!!!!
down with rincon
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Waivers?

Postby mrbo » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:04 pm

I think the main reason for new additions to the player pool to be put on waivers is so the person who sits there constantly refreshing the 'Status Changes' page isn't the one who gets rewarded. I don't think the best solution would be to not put new additions to waiver, but to have the new additions already in the player pool for the draft (so a savvy manager could have drafted Cueto)

I don't see any problem with spot started pitchers going to waivers, since they don't start again for probably 4-5 days anyway.

You could have set your league to no waivers. Hope this helps.
mrbo
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby down with rincon » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:16 pm

MrBo, thanks for the reply. I am not the commish, just seeing what the logic was.

Can you tell me what your feeling on waivers, in general, is? So, when you make a league, do you use waivers or no. Why?

Again, thank you very much!!
down with rincon
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby mrbo » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:33 pm

Yes, we use 2 day waivers in my league. And it's basically for the reasons I stated above. Like some doofus makes a bad decision and drops a valuable player. I don't think its fair that whoever happens to be online at the time (some people might be at work or something and can't constantly check FBB) should be rewarded with the player. But rather the team who had the worst 1st draft pick should get first shot at him.

It allows there to be more parity in the league
mrbo
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Commissioner's Corner