Red Sox vs Yankees 2008 | The Thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Red Sox vs Yankees 2008 | The Thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Red Sox vs Yankees 2008 | The Thread

Postby jschlesi » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:55 pm

First game I ever saw as a kid was the Cubbies versus the Dodgers at Wrigley Field. Tommy John pitched for the Dodgers and Dusty Baker went deep. Billy Buck playing for the Cubs after stint with LA went 4-5 with two dingers and a double. I saw one of the home runs hit a car on the street past the right field wall when the guy got out of the car to check the broken window the fans in park yelled that it was a Cub homer. He then grabbed and kissed his wife raising his arm in cheer!! Come the ninth inning Cubs down by 2 Billy Buck came up with runners in scoring position and a chance to win/tie. He lined out on a nice play by Davey Lopes. I was downtrodden. My Dad looked at me and said "that is what its like to be a Cubs fan". I went to on to become a Sox fan when I got to see Yaz , Tiant, Fred Lynn, Pudge Fisk,play later that summer.
I will always have a soft spot for Bill Buckner. I never needed to forgive him for the boot.
jschlesi
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thedude » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:38 pm

Old_Style wrote:
thedude wrote:
Old_Style wrote: B). would've been booed off the field and possibly physically harmed. :-D

Not really by now most fans realize that he was not the only person to blame. Calvin Schiraldi and Bob Stanley are as much, if not more, to blame then him. It is not like Bostonians don't forgive, Johnny Pesky is a now a beloved guy, but he was blamed for the 1946 World Series loss.

I'm pretty sure most of the bandwagoners there wouldn't know who the heck Bill Buckner was anyways. So you're probably right. ;-7

Well in 1990, when Buckner made the Red Sox as a non roster invitee, he received a standing ovation on opening day the crowd.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:39 pm

Old_Style wrote:
thedude wrote:
Old_Style wrote: B). would've been booed off the field and possibly physically harmed. :-D

Not really by now most fans realize that he was not the only person to blame. Calvin Schiraldi and Bob Stanley are as much, if not more, to blame then him. It is not like Bostonians don't forgive, Johnny Pesky is a now a beloved guy, but he was blamed for the 1946 World Series loss.

I'm pretty sure most of the bandwagoners there wouldn't know who the heck Bill Buckner was anyways. So you're probably right. ;-7

Well done.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 377)

Postby Matthias » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:00 pm

Old_Style wrote:I'm pretty sure most of the bandwagoners there wouldn't know who the heck Bill Buckner was anyways.

Yah? Spent lots of time at Fenway, have you?
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Bloody Sox » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:51 pm

Old_Style wrote:
Matthias wrote:Although Bill Buckner threw out the first pitch at Fenway today, to which my only reaction is: wow. Just.... wow.

If the '04 and '07 titles never happened, he would've A). never been out there in the first place or B). would've been booed off the field and possibly physically harmed. :-D

This is an enormously huge misconception. It is not true, nor was it true 5, 10, 15, or 20 years ago, that Buckner would have been booed off the field or physically harmed if he had returned to Fenway. Buckner was received quite well when he came back to play for the Sox for a short spell in 1990. Only morons, including a lot of clowns in the media, put the blame solely on Buckner for 1986 - simpletons who needed a easy scapegoat to define things and a nice little video clip to sum up the whole painful experience. These morons were a loud minority, not the majority. He shouldn't have been in the field in the first place (he'd been given late inning defensive replacements all year until that game), the relievers (with some help from Gedman on a passed ball) choked the lead away with 2 outs and nobody on, and they still had Game 7 left to play. The Sox would have gotten no where near the World Series without Buckner in 1986. And yes, I was saying the exact same thing back in 1986 - this is not revisionist history as some (most notably Yankee fans on this thread) are saying.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:39 pm

Mod edit--even with it being from the onion, the language was a bit over the top.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 377)

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:00 pm

I rarely say anything nice about Boston (actually I've never said anything nice about Boston) especially the hated Red Sox but I have to give credit to the organization, the players and the fans for two things this year.

First of all the 66 minute strike by the players with respect to the coaches not getting paid for the trip to Japan was classy. The organization should have ensured that it never got to that point but nevertheless the immediate stance taken by the players showed a lot of character and the team resolved it very nicely.

Second, the standing O for Buckner was classy. Who cares that it only happened because the team has won 2 WS since then, it was still very nice. Even better was the fact that he got the standing O and threw out the first pitch and was the member of honour when Bobby Orr and some supposedly good Celtics and Patriots were also on the field. Good move.

For this I give Boston props. Lest anyone think that I'm going soft I predict that the Habs will crush the Bruins tonight like the dirty little bugs that they are and will send them golfing in 4 games. Die Bruins die!
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 282)

Postby Yoda » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:06 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:I rarely say anything nice about Boston (actually I've never said anything nice about Boston) especially the hated Red Sox but I have to give credit to the organization, the players and the fans for two things this year.

First of all the 66 minute strike by the players with respect to the coaches not getting paid for the trip to Japan was classy. The organization should have ensured that it never got to that point but nevertheless the immediate stance taken by the players showed a lot of character and the team resolved it very nicely.

Second, the standing O for Buckner was classy. Who cares that it only happened because the team has won 2 WS since then, it was still very nice. Even better was the fact that he got the standing O and threw out the first pitch and was the member of honour when Bobby Orr and some supposedly good Celtics and Patriots were also on the field. Good move.

For this I give Boston props. Lest anyone think that I'm going soft I predict that the Habs will crush the Bruins tonight like the dirty little bugs that they are and will send them golfing in 4 games. Die Bruins die!

Wow until Mookie's post I didn't even realize that the NHL still existed.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby KCollins1304 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:13 pm

Yoda wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:I rarely say anything nice about Boston (actually I've never said anything nice about Boston) especially the hated Red Sox but I have to give credit to the organization, the players and the fans for two things this year.

Wow until Mookie's post I didn't even realize that the NHL still existed.

Wait... wat?? :-?

They made a National Horse League, finally?? :-B
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby thedude » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:18 pm

The funny thing is, many Bostonians are upset that the Bruins are bumping the Red Sox from NESN HD.
Last edited by thedude on Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers