Red Sox vs Yankees 2008 | The Thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Red Sox vs Yankees 2008 | The Thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Red Sox vs Yankees 2008 | The Thread

Postby redsoxflyfishr » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:16 pm

This thread is funny. I laugh when Yankee fans point to how many bandwagon fans the Sox have right now when they have just as many...the only difference is the Sox have been winning. So I guess that tends to bring out the haters.

I could care less how many bandwagon fans there are. I think it's great to go to stadiums other than Fenway and see so many Sox fans. I agree that it's ESPN's fault that this rivalry is such a big part in baseball every year. Personally I wish we could move on. I am really hoping the Rays/Yankees start a new rivalry in baseball after this spring they had. But to the dude that said something about the Sox only getting to the WS in '04 cause of Dave Roberts steal...what about Aaron Boone's blast in '03? Let's try and be a little less biased here and give credit where credit is due. Both teams are pretty dang good. I've been a Sox fan since '97...I quit watching baseball after the strike in '94 but once Nomar came onto the scene he made it fun to watch the game for me again so I started rooting for the sox. I'm not worried about someone calling me a bandwagon fan just cause I didn't "suffer" with the team in '86 when I was only six years old...I know my stuff when it comes to baseball and the sox...I think several people here are over exagerrating how bad it is, just because they hate the Sox and hate that they are winning.
redsoxflyfishr
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Matthias » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:20 pm

redsoxflyfishr wrote:But to the dude that said something about the Sox only getting to the WS in '04 cause of Dave Roberts steal...what about Aaron Boone's blast in '03? Let's try and be a little less biased here and give credit where credit is due.

You are talking about ACS here.... :-b You'd have better luck working on porcine flying techniques.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Batman rules » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:21 pm

redsoxflyfishr wrote:This thread is funny. I laugh when Yankee fans point to how many bandwagon fans the Sox have right now when they have just as many...the only difference is the Sox have been winning. So I guess that tends to bring out the haters.

I could care less how many bandwagon fans there are. I think it's great to go to stadiums other than Fenway and see so many Sox fans. I agree that it's ESPN's fault that this rivalry is such a big part in baseball every year. Personally I wish we could move on. I am really hoping the Rays/Yankees start a new rivalry in baseball after this spring they had. But to the dude that said something about the Sox only getting to the WS in '04 cause of Dave Roberts steal...what about Aaron Boone's blast in '03? Let's try and be a little less biased here and give credit where credit is due. Both teams are pretty dang good. I've been a Sox fan since '97...I quit watching baseball after the strike in '94 but once Nomar came onto the scene he made it fun to watch the game for me again so I started rooting for the sox. I'm not worried about someone calling me a bandwagon fan just cause I didn't "suffer" with the team in '86 when I was only six years old...I know my stuff when it comes to baseball and the sox...I think several people here are over exagerrating how bad it is, just because they hate the Sox and hate that they are winning.

how old are you.. 12?

1997 give me a break. that's pathetic. you stopped watching baseball because of the strike?? guess the bandwagon needed more people at that point.
Batman rules
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Simulacrum » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:24 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
Simulacrum wrote:
Strange that you would say that considering that only one of our teams won their division last season. :-?

I was joking. ;-)

Just zapping you back. No worries. :-)
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:24 pm

redsoxflyfishr wrote:This thread is funny. I laugh when Yankee fans point to how many bandwagon fans the Sox have right now when they have just as many...the only difference is the Sox have been winning. So I guess that tends to bring out the haters.

I'm unbiased. You know what I think is funny? The Yankees have three players who INDIVIDUALLY make more than the entire Marlins team. A-Rod, Giambi and Jeter, each one of them makes more than the entire Florida team.

That being said I still like them better than the Sawks. "Red Sox Nation" is annoying.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby acsguitar » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:25 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:

I'm unbiased. You know what I think is funny? The Yankees have three players who INDIVIDUALLY make more than the entire Marlins team. A-Rod, Giambi and Jeter, each one of them makes more than the entire Florida team.

That being said I still like them better than the Sawks. "Red Sox Nation" is annoying.

Its not the yankees fault that the Marlins have 0 fans and that their owner won't pay to move them or buy enough players to have fans
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby redsoxflyfishr » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:27 pm

I completely agree. I feel the same way about Yankee fans who act like this. You know, the people who walk around with the t-shirts that say, "There never was a curse, your team just sucked..." or any of that crap. It's BS, and the people who do it typically don't know anything about the game. I enjoy showing these people up as much as I do bandwagon Red Sox fans. I hate bandwagon fans of all kinds. It's just that the pendulum has officially and decisively swung the other way since 2004.
[/quote]

You enjoy showing up someone who doesn't know anything about the game?? Come on bro...so you're saying because you 'know' about this game you have more of a right to wear a NY hat or jersey than someone who doesn't, or someone who just decided they like the red sox or yankees right now cause rooting for them is fun or because they thought the hat looked cool in the store...I didn't realize being a so called 'lifelong' fan gave anyone entitlement over anyone else? Maybe I was wrong. If my neighbor woke up tomorrow and wanted to start rooting for the Mariners cause he likes Ichiro I'm not going to start quizzing him on the history of the M's...and then show him up when he had no idea Griffey Jr once played there.
Last edited by redsoxflyfishr on Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redsoxflyfishr
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jschlesi » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:30 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:Boston would be less annoying if they didn't become successful basically following the same strategy as the Yankees but still try clinging a bit to the underdog

That is a misinformed comment. The 'sox have a completely different approach yes, they spend money. But they spend it on guys that fit the stats they value ( IE Bill James) not just heavy handed hired guns in FA. That is why you have Johnny Damon and your brothers across town have Petey. The Sox have made a number of mistakes with their largess see their opening day SS for the last 4 years. If you boil it to last year alone consider Japan. If Ny goes harder after Dice they would have most likely been in the classic as the Sox would have been out of the playoffs. Instead of getting Kei Igawa, The Sox gambled on Dice and Okie. With Dice and Okajima the Sox had enough on the mound to weather the swoon and Yankee's charge.
Currently the Sox have the 4th highest payroll. Good news for the Yankees are that many ill fated contracts will expire this fall...
jschlesi
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby redsoxflyfishr » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:32 pm

Batman rules wrote:

how old are you.. 12?

1997 give me a break. that's pathetic. you stopped watching baseball because of the strike?? guess the bandwagon needed more people at that point.

No, I'm not 12. Lots of people lost interest in the game after the strike moron. If you think that's jumping on the bandwagon at that point I'd say you find a new board to go troll on.
redsoxflyfishr
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Grounded Polo » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:36 pm

jschlesi wrote:
Grounded Polo wrote:Boston would be less annoying if they didn't become successful basically following the same strategy as the Yankees but still try clinging a bit to the underdog

That is a misinformed comment. The 'sox have a completely different approach yes, they spend money. But they spend it on guys that fit the stats they value ( IE Bill James) not just heavy handed hired guns in FA. That is why you have Johnny Damon and your brothers across town have Petey. The Sox have made a number of mistakes with their largess see their opening day SS for the last 4 years. If you boil it to last year alone consider Japan. If Ny goes harder after Dice they would have most likely been in the classic as the Sox would have been out of the playoffs. Instead of getting Kei Igawa, The Sox gambled on Dice and Okie. With Dice and Okajima the Sox had enough on the mound to weather the swoon and Yankee's charge.
Currently the Sox have the 4th highest payroll. Good news for the Yankees are that many ill fated contracts will expire this fall...

Dice K wouldn't have gotten them to the world series considering how terrible he was in the first 2 rounds and then had a decent start in the World Series.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers