Red Sox vs Yankees 2008 | The Thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Red Sox vs Yankees 2008 | The Thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Red Sox vs Yankees 2008 | The Thread

Postby Inukchuk » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:19 pm

Bloody Sox wrote:This is an enormously huge misconception. It is not true, nor was it true 5, 10, 15, or 20 years ago, that Buckner would have been booed off the field or physically harmed if he had returned to Fenway. Buckner was received quite well when he came back to play for the Sox for a short spell in 1990. Only morons, including a lot of clowns in the media, put the blame solely on Buckner for 1986 - simpletons who needed a easy scapegoat to define things and a nice little video clip to sum up the whole painful experience. These morons were a loud minority, not the majority. He shouldn't have been in the field in the first place (he'd been given late inning defensive replacements all year until that game), the relievers (with some help from Gedman on a passed ball) choked the lead away with 2 outs and nobody on, and they still had Game 7 left to play. The Sox would have gotten no where near the World Series without Buckner in 1986. And yes, I was saying the exact same thing back in 1986 - this is not revisionist history as some (most notably Yankee fans on this thread) are saying.

Totally agree (with a Sox fan...what is going on with the world?) I think much of the Bill-Buckner-as-a-goat thing is more of an ESPN creation than anything else. The 2 main types of Sox fans tend to be either die hard and knowledgeable (albeit still annoying... ;-) ), in which case they understand the reality of the 86 collapse, or the pink hats, those of which wouldn't know Buckner if he pissed in their Strawberry Special K...
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:15 am

Rivalry renewed tonight. ;-)
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby RocketsDWM » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:59 am

Can already hear the excuses now --- Jeter is hurt, Posada is banged up....

:-D
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)

Postby Yoda » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:03 am

We'll get to find out how good the Sox pitching really is. I think the rotation is very overrated.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:23 am

RocketsDWM wrote:Can already hear the excuses now --- Jeter is hurt, Posada is banged up....

:-D

Lowell's out, Just wait until Ortiz returns to form...
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby nsulham » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:31 am

Meh, I can't really get into an April series between these two. Still too early, guys on both sides are banged up, etc. I'd love to see them both at full strength duke it out. Maybe later in the season :-?
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby nsulham » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:37 am

From the New York Post :-b :

The new Yankee Stadium may be cursed!

A devilish Boston fan working on a concrete crew at the $1.3 billion stadium covertly buried a Red Sox T-shirt under what will become the visiting team's locker room to jinx the Yanks, two construction workers told The Post yesterday.

"In August, a Red Sox T-shirt was poured in a slab in the visitor's clubhouse. It's the curse of the Yankees," one worker said. "Nobody knows about it. It's in the floors, it's buried."

The workers say they now fear that they unwittingly helped hex their beloved Bronx Bombers.

"I don't want to be responsible for sinking the franchise," said a second worker, who witnessed the sabotage. "I respect the stadium."

The Post has withheld their identities because they are not authorized to speak to media.

This latest hex is above and beyond any typical ritual - like wearing a lucky shirt or hat - that fans typically do to boost their luck.

"It sounds a little unprecedented to me," said Tim Wiles, director of research at the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum in Cooperstown.

"I guess if the Yankees go 86 years in the new ballpark without a win we'll know if we are on to something," he said, referring to Boston's previous infamous losing streak after they sold Babe Ruth.

"If I was a Yankees fan, that is my house. I don't want a Red Sox [T-shirt] under my house," he added.

Chris Wertz, co-owner of the Red Sox bar Professor Thom's in the East Village, laughed at the ingenuity of the worker.

"I won't be surprised in the least bit to see that visiting locker room torn up and relaid right away," he said. "This what makes the game special for baseball fans. It's not a mean thing, but something they will take seriously."

Red Sox fans, he said, will see the buried garment as a good-luck charm, especially after years of seeing the retired numbers of four legendary players displayed in Fenway Park.

It has long displayed "9" for Ted Williams, "4" for Joe Cronin, "1" for Bobby Doerr and "8" for Carl Yastrzemski - which comes out to 9-4-18, the day before the World Series that resulted in the last Red Sox championship until 2004.

Baseball historians said these kinds of superstitions are not something to be scoffed at.

"Curses start off very easily. It's all the power of suggestion and they take on a life of their own," said Dan Gordon, co-author of the 2007 book "Haunted Baseball."

"Even the 'Curse of the Bambino' didn't really take off until the 1980s. Before then it was just hard luck," he said.

Mickey Bradley, co-author of "Haunted Baseball," said a worker is said to have buried an unknown good-luck charm in a water main trench of the current Yankee Stadium back in 1920.

"Prior to that, they never they won a World Series," he said.

Players can also bring curses to their teams.

"Look at the curse of A-Rod. The Yankees haven't won since [Alex Rodriguez] came to their game. There's probably more to that than a T-shirt," said Peter Nash, author of "Boston's Royal Rooters," a history of Red Sox fans.

"This just takes the rivalry to whole new level. If you look at 2004, the Yankees were up three games. If Boston lost that, seriously, the whole franchise would have been decimated," said Nash, who performed with the rap duo Third Bass before writing about baseball.

"I think there is a curse in effect already. Maybe the Red Sox T-shirt is like the icing on the cake, a nice little F-you from Boston," he said.

The year 2004, of course, was the year the Red Sox broke their own curse and won the World Series after beating the Yankees in the playoffs.

Still, stadiums have long had their own curses.

One of them is the 1945 "Billy Goat" curse at Wrigley Field, the home of the Chicago cubs.

Legend has it that William Sianis placed a curse on the team after stadium staff refused to let him enter with his pet goat. The team hasn't played in the World Series since 1945.

Superstition in stadiums can also cut the other way and help a team.

The Texas Rangers languished in their old stadium from 1972 to 1993, until they moved into a new ballpark the following year. Since then, the team won three division titles. More recently, the Tampa Rays may be cursed by their own new stadium, which was partially built over a cemetery.

Over the past decade, the team had the worst record in all of Major League Baseball four times and finished last place in their division nine times.

As for the buried emblem of hated Boston, the Yankees say they aren't the least bit worried.

"It sounds like a tall tale, and it would take more than a Red Sox T-shirt to put a curse on the Yankees," said team spokesman Howard Rubenstein.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Bloody Sox » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:38 pm

Yoda wrote:We'll get to find out how good the Sox pitching really is. I think the rotation is very overrated.

Really? By who? They have one bona fide ace in Beckett, a very good #2 with some upside in Dice-K, two young guys (Lester and Buchholz) who will have their moments - both good and bad, and they have old reliable Tim Wakefield who is what he is. I don't hear anyone pumping up the Sox rotation, certainly not in these parts.

I think it's somewhat better than the Yanks rotation right now, but not by that much: Their ace Wang is really a #2, Pettitte who's better days are behind him but still decent, Kennedy and Hughes who are basically a wash with Buchholz and Lester, and I think Mussina who is almost washed up but has his moments. Plenty of upside especially with Joba in the wings, plenty of question marks.

Interestingly, I think both are better than Detroit's rotation, which is why I find it funny that people are saying they are clearly the best team in the AL. They have an ace in Verlander, a very shaky Bonderman, and three stiffs in D-Train, Robertson, and Rogers.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:48 pm

I don't really have a problem with a Red Sox shirt being buried in the dirt underneath Yankee Stadium. To me, it simply represents what the future holds for both organizations.

The Yankees, like the new Cathedral, sitting on top of the world. The Red Sox, buried in the dirt. B-)
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby AussieDodger » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:54 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:I don't really have a problem with a Red Sox shirt being buried in the dirt underneath Yankee Stadium. To me, it simply represents what the future holds for both organizations.

The Yankees, like the new Cathedral, sitting on top of the world. The Red Sox, buried in the dirt. B-)

Ouch
Oh no you didn't!
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers